Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Phil Spencer Talks First-Party Plans and More in Recent Interview

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 09 November 17 at 00:32
The Xbox lead also mentions a stream-to-play service too

Please click here to read the story: Phil Spencer Talks First-Party Plans and More in Recent Interview

External link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-06/microsoft...
Mr Abductor
Mr Abductor
Posted on 09 November 17 at 00:36
Just get on with it!
reforc3
reforc3
Posted on 09 November 17 at 01:19
Scalebound revival
WEBHEAD 7
WEBHEAD 7
Posted on 09 November 17 at 01:34, Edited on 09 November 17 at 01:43 by WEBHEAD 7
Call Visceral, MS

This is great to hear. Spencer knows that a lot of the brand loyalty Microsoft gets is directly from Xbox/gamers. Not going to lie though, surprised to hear about a streaming service all but confirmed. When game pass got announced/launched the main reason people were pumped was exactly because it was not a streaming service. I don't use Psnow personally, mostly because of how poorly people say it works, but then again... my brother uses it with a lower internet plan than I have and says it works perfectly. I'll have to try a streamed game sometime for myself I guess..
Twobby
Twobby
Posted on 09 November 17 at 02:05
This isn't the most original idea in the world but look to the past at games that have recognition and find a way to acquire them. I'm thinking in terms such as this:

Rare could make Battletoads and they've already shown what they can do with a FPS in Goldeneye. People would buy the hell out of a new version of either of those. Double Dragon would be cool to see rehashed.
The SCHWARTZ 00
Posted on 09 November 17 at 02:09, Edited on 09 November 17 at 02:11 by The SCHWARTZ 00
This is all great, but as long as Phil continues to allow exclusives to be played on PC, the Sony and PC douches are STILL going to give Xbox a ton of shit for not having "true exclusives". I can see the YouTube comments already. "LOLOL I can play Crackdown on PC toooooo, it's not exclusive so I don't need ur Shitbox One you stoopid Xbots lololol God Of War Spider Man Detroit Last Of Us 2 derpity derp derp". The fucking game could get an 11/10 rating on every single website and that's still all you'll hear. This needs to stop. Xbox needs 100% platform exclusivity on the X and S, period. Enough pandering to the PC crowd. Fuck them.
Archeim
Archeim
Posted on 09 November 17 at 02:24
How about get some of those JRPG's that companies like square enix have been giving sony? Hell... nippon ichi just pit disgaea 5 on the switch. Where is mistwalker?
Download Lies of Astaroth on X1 (free) and use code 44wirx for free stuff (high TA)
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 09 November 17 at 02:55
The SCHWARTZ 00 said:
This is all great, but as long as Phil continues to allow exclusives to be played on PC, the Sony and PC douches are STILL going to give Xbox a ton of shit for not having "true exclusives". I can see the YouTube comments already. "LOLOL I can play Crackdown on PC toooooo, it's not exclusive so I don't need ur Shitbox One you stoopid Xbots lololol God Of War Spider Man Detroit Last Of Us 2 derpity derp derp". The fucking game could get an 11/10 rating on every single website and that's still all you'll hear. This needs to stop. Xbox needs 100% platform exclusivity on the X and S, period. Enough pandering to the PC crowd. Fuck them.
If you watch the clip you'll hear how that's not going to happen. And never read YouTube comments. Under any circumstances.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 09 November 17 at 03:02
Whatever we want is exactly what we won't get. That is MS' rep as of the last decade and I can't anything changing.

Also lets pray Microsoft Studios themselves don't develop anymore IPs, their track record there hasn't exactly been admirable. . . more like laughable.
Iggsy81
Iggsy81
Posted on 09 November 17 at 03:21
Now? He's planning this NOW? So we have to wait another 4-5 years for games, great.

Why wasn't this done YEARS ago?

Also i agree with the guy mentioning Mistwalker, what i really want is JRPGs. Games like I am Setsuna, Nier, Persona etc are not first party Sony games, any of those _could_ come to Xbox but don't. IF there's one thing Xbox is lacking it's Japanese third party games.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 09 November 17 at 03:23
Microsoft knows they have a problem but what we don’t know if it’s a problem they really care about. They say they do but naturally people want to see results. I don’t know if pure console exclusives are a thing of the past but they really want PC and Xbox gamers to connect and I don’t think it’s a bad thing really

One last thing for exclusives and it will take some years but Fable will back, I’d bet my bottom dollar on that.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 09 November 17 at 04:13
I think Spencer has been pushing for this since he arrived. You have to recall he's only been in charge for three years or so. He also seems averse to showing off games too early. I think they'll have cool new IP within the next two years but we won't know about them as far in advance anymore. They don't want another Scalebound.
MugenKairo
MugenKairo
Posted on 09 November 17 at 04:53, Edited on 09 November 17 at 04:55 by MugenKairo
Good to see Spencer recognises that it needs more exclusives to stay competitive. There is so much crap one the Xbox platform, they need to revisit their focus on games, so welcome news.

But if they don’t have any JRPGs by next console iteration, I’m jumping ship to PS.
'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
Brutal Brute
Brutal Brute
Posted on 09 November 17 at 05:20
I want to see them reboot the mechwarrior/Mechassault series. They need to make it the way it used to be where the mech options are limited to one or two of each type and you spawn outside them causing a race to get to your preferred mech when playing with randoms or talk with your team about it prior to develop a real strategy.
BigNev44
BigNev44
Posted on 09 November 17 at 08:34, Edited on 09 November 17 at 08:37 by BigNev44
Thank God they FINALLY got the message, Sony was winning big early this year with their exclusives, i've had friends and co-working trying to convince me to jump to PS4 cause M$ was really making it hard to stay with their console, i even went and bought Persona 5 for my PS3 cause i thought it was going to be the first game in the series that i didn't play...not recommended though, the loading times suck.

I thought they dropped the ball when they didn't try to snatch up Hideo Kojima after he was officially let go by Konami, Sony was practically sitting at his front door that day waiting for him, they should've at least tried to get IO for the Hitman franchise but i wasn't a fan of the Tomb Raider or Dead Rising 4 exclusive one year deals so scratch that.

I remember reading recently someone over at M$ said if more people bought the Game Pass every month, they can invest the money to make more first party titles, that to me was a joke cause Sony or Nintendo seem to do just fine with their own products.
KwasimodoZA
KwasimodoZA
Posted on 09 November 17 at 09:35
Don't aquire CD Projekt Red. Those guys are two cool for MS
DesolatePoem
DesolatePoem
Posted on 09 November 17 at 09:50
Would love to see Remedy Back with Microsoft and also Playground games, as I hope the Non-racing game they develop will be an Xbox Exclusive.
Daelus1
Daelus1
Posted on 09 November 17 at 10:49, Edited on 09 November 17 at 10:49 by Daelus1
The SCHWARTZ 00 said:
Other than feeling insulted by other fanboys, there isn't a rational reason to discontinue offering the games on PC. Some percentage of people game on PC, a very few of them actually prefer gaming on PC; the vast majority of the video game market you and me are concerned with is console gaming....every AAA on the planet comes to console, that isn't true of other platforms...no one on PC has ever played Red Dead on PC...they might not get to play RDR2...they didn't get to play Destiny (getting 2 late), etc. The vast majority of dollar-spending video game consumers are on console (and x-box gamers over the past decade have bought more games per capita than anyone else). As long as a game is exclusive to 1 console, that is what matters...from a business perspective (and gravy on the PC sales and hope you can stay out of pirating jams)....so, don't get butthurt over comment sections and know MS has the far better business model...the only one that is sustainable.
Einhander
Einhander
Posted on 09 November 17 at 10:58
smile
RuthlessAri1984
Posted on 09 November 17 at 11:00
I want all the Ninja Gaiden games to be backcompatible not just Ninja Gaiden Black but thats awesome just that but I would like to get Ninja Gaiden 2 , Ninja gaiden 3 , Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge and Ninja Gaiden Yaiba. So if Microsoft could cooperate with Team Ninja to make it happen would be awesome.
RuthlessAri1984
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.