Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Phil Spencer Talks First-Party Plans and More in Recent Interview

AuthorMessage
billbillbill
546,450
billbillbill
Posted on 09 November 17 at 12:55, Edited on 09 November 17 at 12:57 by billbillbill
Iggsy81 said:
Now? He's planning this NOW? So we have to wait another 4-5 years for games, great.

Why wasn't this done YEARS ago?
Because "YEARS ago" Spencer had to completely reorganise Xbox after the Xbox One's difficult launch. This included things like updating the User Interface, shifting away from Kinect, and focusing on making developing games for Xbox One easier for developers and moving on to a more diverse lineup.

Nobody, not even Phil Spencer, can simply phone a studio, say 'We want a brilliant JRPG, please!' and then announce the next day that they have a 'New Exclusive!'. This jazz takes a lot of time and effort, and Microsoft, with the Xbox One X, have finally emerged on the other side after the first few years of struggle. Don't forget that this 'Xbox has no games!' narrative only appeared at the start of this year.

Microsoft have games in development. Microsoft have unannounced single-player games currently being made for the Xbox. But they're still transitioning, and the mistake Phil Spencer made in 2014/2015 was to announce all their latest games too early (Scalebound, Crackdown, etc.). His new tactic is to only announce games that will be released within the next financial year.

People want results "NOW" but it all takes time.
By E3 of next year the internet will have forgotten about all this First Party stuff and move on to something else...
TriRock
1,549,424
TriRock
Posted on 09 November 17 at 14:05
How about getting Lionshead to do some Fable games?
Lord Midas
228,317
Lord Midas
Posted on 09 November 17 at 14:23, Edited on 09 November 17 at 14:31 by Lord Midas
You know, I simply don't care enough about whether one console has this or that exclusive. I couldn't care less about playing Killzone (the 1st one had shite controls anyway), Last of Us or whatever. I'm sure Horizon Zero Dawn is fun, but not all exclusives are great. The Last Guardian and The Order 1886, what happened to them, kinda fell by the sidelines.

I've more than enough to keep me going with Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Wolfenstein 2 and all the enhanced games for my new Xbox One X that I've not completed.

And I've got more than enough Xbox exclusives to keep me going too. Still got Gear of War 4 to finish.. in 4K, Halo 5 to complete in Legendary.. in 4k, Quantum Break and Halo Wars 2 (yes, in 4K) which I still need to get.

And the only games I'm seriously waiting for is Far Cry 5 and RDR2 (and probably Anthem). And I don't need PS for them.

I've been in the Xbox eco-system since the beginning and invested a fuck ton of money in it. There ain't no way I'm leaving after that.

The mates I care about and play online with all have Xbox too. So it's a no-brainer to play on Xbox Live.

PS might have sold more, and one might see that as down to the original marketing back in 2013. Xbox was the TV and media console with some games. But the PS was "for the gamers" and had better adverts. People like shiny adverts.

But for me, the Xbox is the best 'place' for games.
* Xbox Live (PS network came later)
* The Dashboard
* Achievements (PS copied that with Trophies)
* The Controller (oh my, the controller is so good. The PS controller is so bad = knarly claws hands)
* Free Games With Gold (PS copied that)
* Parties with friends
* The TV (hooking up SkyHD works a treat)
* Xbox One X (it's also the most powerful console, goodbye PS4Pro)
* Kinect (groundbreaking innovation... RIP)
* Voice control (via Kinect or external cam. I love walking into the room and saying "Xbox On" then "Xbox go to Call of Duty World War Two")
* Backwards Compatibility (amazing, and with the OG Xbox too. Just brilliant)
* Indie Games folks like you and I cound finally get published on a console (bloody awesome)

Playstation might have the numbers and a few exclusives, but Xbox is truly where console gaming shines.
Lord Midas
228,317
Lord Midas
Posted on 09 November 17 at 14:35
My main peeve with Xbox voice is having to say "Xbox go to Spotify Music for Xbox". Really?

Let me just say "Xbox got to Spotify". Jeez with the stoopid name.
DaFonkster87
176,816
DaFonkster87
Posted on 09 November 17 at 15:36
billbillbill said:
Iggsy81 said:
Now? He's planning this NOW? So we have to wait another 4-5 years for games, great.

Why wasn't this done YEARS ago?
Because "YEARS ago" Spencer had to completely reorganise Xbox after the Xbox One's difficult launch. This included things like updating the User Interface, shifting away from Kinect, and focusing on making developing games for Xbox One easier for developers and moving on to a more diverse lineup.

Nobody, not even Phil Spencer, can simply phone a studio, say 'We want a brilliant JRPG, please!' and then announce the next day that they have a 'New Exclusive!'. This jazz takes a lot of time and effort, and Microsoft, with the Xbox One X, have finally emerged on the other side after the first few years of struggle. Don't forget that this 'Xbox has no games!' narrative only appeared at the start of this year.

Microsoft have games in development. Microsoft have unannounced single-player games currently being made for the Xbox. But they're still transitioning, and the mistake Phil Spencer made in 2014/2015 was to announce all their latest games too early (Scalebound, Crackdown, etc.). His new tactic is to only announce games that will be released within the next financial year.

People want results "NOW" but it all takes time.
By E3 of next year the internet will have forgotten about all this First Party stuff and move on to something else...
We also need to remember who Phil Spencer relieved in the company shortly after the Xbox One launch. Dan Mattrick was literally running the Xbox brand into the ground. With many of the "features" that the Xbox One was going to have at their unveiling ceremony 6 months before the console's launch left a very sour taste in the fans' mouths. Third party developers didn't like this, and they jumped ship to sign exclusivity deals with Sony. That is why almost every game that is advertised on TV has the Sony brand around it. Phil Spencer took over with a really crap hand and has been trying to rebuild the Xbox brand for a long time to repair the damage Dan Mattrick did. They tried to change WAY too many things away from what made the Xbox 360 great. So Microsoft is definitely trying to catch up - or so it seems that is what Phil is trying to do.
LAZY SHIKAMARUX
Posted on 09 November 17 at 16:00, Edited on 09 November 17 at 16:03 by LAZY SHIKAMARUX
The SCHWARTZ 00 said:
This is all great, but as long as Phil continues to allow exclusives to be played on PC, the Sony and PC douches are STILL going to give Xbox a ton of shit for not having "true exclusives". I can see the YouTube comments already. "LOLOL I can play Crackdown on PC toooooo, it's not exclusive so I don't need ur Shitbox One you stoopid Xbots lololol God Of War Spider Man Detroit Last Of Us 2 derpity derp derp". The fucking game could get an 11/10 rating on every single website and that's still all you'll hear. This needs to stop. Xbox needs 100% platform exclusivity on the X and S, period. Enough pandering to the PC crowd. Fuck them.
In my eyes Xbox is not a single piece of hardware but a platform. I have Xbox on my Xbox One, PC, and Phone. I'm quite enjoying my play anywhere games, so them giving me an option to play on my rig is actually quite convenient. Also, does this really affect console only players? No. The people who don't want an Xbox One, won't get one. The way MS does it allows more people in their ecosystem. Software makes more profit than hardware.
I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it. - Bill Gates.
YellowJacket LE
Posted on 09 November 17 at 19:43
MS needs to nudge Crytek and stick with Remedy because Ryse 2 and Alan Wake 2 would be nuclear or even something totally new by either of those guys. I haven't seen anything from Crytek since Ryse and that's one of the best Xbox exclusive games since its launch. Personally I don't know if we will ever see a game solely for the One but it's a dream.
The Most Electrifying Man in Gaming Entertainment!
KBop a doo
312,635
KBop a doo
Posted on 09 November 17 at 20:52
TriRock said:
How about getting Lionshead to do some Fable games?
That might be awkward since Microsoft shut down Lionhead a year and a half ago laugh
AlterPred
266,062
AlterPred
Posted on 09 November 17 at 22:30
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
The SCHWARTZ 00 said:
This is all great, but as long as Phil continues to allow exclusives to be played on PC, the Sony and PC douches are STILL going to give Xbox a ton of shit for not having "true exclusives". I can see the YouTube comments already. "LOLOL I can play Crackdown on PC toooooo, it's not exclusive so I don't need ur Shitbox One you stoopid Xbots lololol God Of War Spider Man Detroit Last Of Us 2 derpity derp derp". The fucking game could get an 11/10 rating on every single website and that's still all you'll hear. This needs to stop. Xbox needs 100% platform exclusivity on the X and S, period. Enough pandering to the PC crowd. Fuck them.
If you watch the clip you'll hear how that's not going to happen. And never read YouTube comments. Under any circumstances.
Pretty much never read comments anywhere unless you want to deal with trolls, this is one of the few places where the toxicity of the comment section isn't bad.
AlterPred
266,062
AlterPred
Posted on 09 November 17 at 22:37
LAZY SHIKAMARUX said:
The SCHWARTZ 00 said:
This is all great, but as long as Phil continues to allow exclusives to be played on PC, the Sony and PC douches are STILL going to give Xbox a ton of shit for not having "true exclusives". I can see the YouTube comments already. "LOLOL I can play Crackdown on PC toooooo, it's not exclusive so I don't need ur Shitbox One you stoopid Xbots lololol God Of War Spider Man Detroit Last Of Us 2 derpity derp derp". The fucking game could get an 11/10 rating on every single website and that's still all you'll hear. This needs to stop. Xbox needs 100% platform exclusivity on the X and S, period. Enough pandering to the PC crowd. Fuck them.
In my eyes Xbox is not a single piece of hardware but a platform. I have Xbox on my Xbox One, PC, and Phone. I'm quite enjoying my play anywhere games, so them giving me an option to play on my rig is actually quite convenient. Also, does this really affect console only players? No. The people who don't want an Xbox One, won't get one. The way MS does it allows more people in their ecosystem. Software makes more profit than hardware.
Didn't Phil say their ideal customer is the one who buys all of the games, and that they do not want to make new consoles every other year. Play anywhere just supports that thinking and boosts software sales.

As far as game developers I want more from, Microsoft needs to call Crytek again. Ryse was solid as were Crysis series. Plus I would love them making a Timesplitters 4 since they bought Free Radical.
CRISTIAMUZ
260,948
CRISTIAMUZ
Posted on 09 November 17 at 23:13
Bring back Scalebound
Twitch.Tv/Zemidek
Predefiance
179,575
Predefiance
Posted on 10 November 17 at 02:07
That's good to hear. It's a shame because I bought an Xbox One when Fallout 4 was announced for Gears 4 in the future and it was such a massive letdown. Give me a reason to stay loyal.
Elemant Zero
Posted on 10 November 17 at 03:33
Lord Midas said:
You know, I simply don't care enough about whether one console has this or that exclusive. I couldn't care less about playing Killzone (the 1st one had shite controls anyway), Last of Us or whatever. I'm sure Horizon Zero Dawn is fun, but not all exclusives are great. The Last Guardian and The Order 1886, what happened to them, kinda fell by the sidelines.

I've more than enough to keep me going with Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Wolfenstein 2 and all the enhanced games for my new Xbox One X that I've not completed.

And I've got more than enough Xbox exclusives to keep me going too. Still got Gear of War 4 to finish.. in 4K, Halo 5 to complete in Legendary.. in 4k, Quantum Break and Halo Wars 2 (yes, in 4K) which I still need to get.

And the only games I'm seriously waiting for is Far Cry 5 and RDR2 (and probably Anthem). And I don't need PS for them.

I've been in the Xbox eco-system since the beginning and invested a fuck ton of money in it. There ain't no way I'm leaving after that.

The mates I care about and play online with all have Xbox too. So it's a no-brainer to play on Xbox Live.

PS might have sold more, and one might see that as down to the original marketing back in 2013. Xbox was the TV and media console with some games. But the PS was "for the gamers" and had better adverts. People like shiny adverts.

But for me, the Xbox is the best 'place' for games.
* Xbox Live (PS network came later)
* The Dashboard
* Achievements (PS copied that with Trophies)
* The Controller (oh my, the controller is so good. The PS controller is so bad = knarly claws hands)
* Free Games With Gold (PS copied that)
* Parties with friends
* The TV (hooking up SkyHD works a treat)
* Xbox One X (it's also the most powerful console, goodbye PS4Pro)
* Kinect (groundbreaking innovation... RIP)
* Voice control (via Kinect or external cam. I love walking into the room and saying "Xbox On" then "Xbox go to Call of Duty World War Two")
* Backwards Compatibility (amazing, and with the OG Xbox too. Just brilliant)
* Indie Games folks like you and I cound finally get published on a console (bloody awesome)

Playstation might have the numbers and a few exclusives, but Xbox is truly where console gaming shines.
Spoken like a true fanboy.
Lord Midas
228,317
Lord Midas
Posted on 10 November 17 at 08:46, Edited on 10 November 17 at 08:46 by Lord Midas
Elemant Zero said:
Lord Midas said:
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

Playstation might have the numbers and a few exclusives, but Xbox is truly where console gaming shines.
Spoken like a true fanboy.
Thanks clap

I wouldn't mind a PS to go in my computer room. Along with my gaming PC rig and Xbox S.
Daelus1
361,974
Daelus1
Posted on 10 November 17 at 11:03, Edited on 10 November 17 at 11:05 by Daelus1
Elemant Zero said:
Spoken like a true fanboy.
Not sure how you could get fanboy out of that. Is he an X fan? Clearly; did he slag the competition mindlessly? Not a bit; he actually acknowledged that PS had some decent exclusives, but preferred X.

I would be in the same boat. As a dedicated gamer, I own all the systems; I own a PS mainly for Uncharted; of the PS exclusives I have only played 3 in the 4 years this gen.....Uncharted, TLoU and HZD.....Uncharted was very good, as always, with an emotionally satisfying end, but the same gameplay....Rise of the Tomb Raider was quite a bit better (and I want to gag admiting that); TLoU is a good game, but one of the most overrated in history imo; HZD was decent, but no better than at 7. The majority of the rest of PS exclusives are Japanese games that sell a few hundred thousand copies, most of them in Japan. Contrast that with the X exclusives I have played this gen alone....has to be 3x my PS exclusives, maybe more, with games like Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 3 and State of Decay far better than every exclusive PS has (Uncharted might fit in the lower rungs of that list).

It is not fanboyism to have a preference; it is fanboyism to blindly support and blindly hate. Only your post would meet those parameters.
KGI Klikopedia
Posted on 10 November 17 at 14:43
The SCHWARTZ 00 said:
This is all great, but as long as Phil continues to allow exclusives to be played on PC, the Sony and PC douches are STILL going to give Xbox a ton of shit for not having "true exclusives". I can see the YouTube comments already. "LOLOL I can play Crackdown on PC toooooo, it's not exclusive so I don't need ur Shitbox One you stoopid Xbots lololol God Of War Spider Man Detroit Last Of Us 2 derpity derp derp". The fucking game could get an 11/10 rating on every single website and that's still all you'll hear. This needs to stop. Xbox needs 100% platform exclusivity on the X and S, period. Enough pandering to the PC crowd. Fuck them.
Problem is that Win PC's are now also part of the Xbox playground.
Mixer & YT: KlikoTV | Twitter: @Klikopedia
the games masta
Posted on 10 November 17 at 19:18
Suits me just fine - I’ve got at least 60 games (apparently not possible as Xbox has no games) in the backlog to play before anymore new exclusives come out
WEBHEAD 7
406,834
WEBHEAD 7
Posted on 10 November 17 at 20:28
KBop a doo said:
TriRock said:
How about getting Lionshead to do some Fable games?
That might be awkward since Microsoft shut down Lionhead a year and a half ago laugh
True, but MS still owns Fable. It will return!
Multiman
61,282
Multiman
Posted on 10 November 17 at 22:00
Twobby said:
This isn't the most original idea in the world but look to the past at games that have recognition and find a way to acquire them. I'm thinking in terms such as this:

Rare could make Battletoads and they've already shown what they can do with a FPS in Goldeneye. People would buy the hell out of a new version of either of those. Double Dragon would be cool to see rehashed.
I have to disagree with you on the FPS part. The team that made Goldeneye & Perfect Dark left Rare years ago, before the Xbox 360 was even launched. They formed Free Radical and made the 3 Timesplitters games. Subsequently they fell victim to "being bought by EA and then disbanded after releasing an 'underperforming' sales game syndrome". At this stage I'd question the pedigree of of the actual team making a FPS game before I'd get excited about it.
Alahert
525,543
Alahert
Posted on 10 November 17 at 22:40
Sunset Overdrive 2 and I'm sold for life!
DARK 777
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into https://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.


3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.


4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.


These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.

×