Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Phil Spencer Talks First-Party Plans and More in Recent Interview

AuthorMessage
MATTKBAN
MATTKBAN
Posted on 11 November 17 at 01:28, Edited on 11 November 17 at 01:29 by MATTKBAN
Lord Midas said:
* Free Games With Gold (PS copied that)
Actually... Sony beat them to it 3 years earlier with PS Plus launching in 2010. A few other points like mic control and indies are just as much a PS thing, too.

For anyone else out there - games being good is subjective. We're all going to have different opinions on game quality. This current gen of consoles I've played more 3rd party games to where I can't recall all exlcusives I've played. For XB1 I can only think of Halo 5 (great! The series has gotten better since 343 came in with #4) and Quantum Break. QB was good but no system seller. Recently played a few stages of Cuphead and maybe thats it for me with Xbox. Whenever I get into the backlog I will touch Ryse which might be ok seeing the quicktime'y-ness of it will likely be a turnoff..but at least the game is pretty! Btw Crytek or some sub studio of theirs does have Hunted coming out (not exclusive but looks good). I'm stoked to get around to Sunset Overdrive since watching a friend show me the good stuff had me drooling ;O

PS4 - Out of what I completed. Uncharted 4 - fantastic! Driveclub - it got so much crap early on for its delay and server issues which didn't bother me. I'm plenty busy and didn't plan to play online anyways ;p The perfect middle man racing game for me since sims are too difficult. Ratchet & Clank - favorite game of the generation! Pure fun and sooo funny. Right up there with best visuals, too. Order 1886 - Just like QB it was good and thats that.

There is so much in my backlogs for this gen and last. Partially completed games all over and PS VR as well.

I'm satisfied enough on Xbox with Crackdown and Halo games. Never cared for Gears but I do hope to..try and finish them.. A few exclusive surprises here and there would be nice.

BTW does Microsoft still have that strict approach to not getting games on their platform if they were already released elsewhere? I would assume not with Phil doing his thing - but that did hurt them with the 360. And to be honest this article is what Xbox needs - INVEST in exclusives! This is the reason Sony has the amount they do. Nintendo's big exclusives are their own or real close 2nd party relations. So Microsoft does need to step up. And good to see them finally say that instead of hiding behind saying they have exlcusives. It may never of been a lie, but it was never many per year.
Daelus1
Daelus1
Posted on 11 November 17 at 02:24
MATTKBAN said:
And to be honest this article is what Xbox needs - INVEST in exclusives! This is the reason Sony has the amount they do. Nintendo's big exclusives are their own or real close 2nd party relations. So Microsoft does need to step up. And good to see them finally say that instead of hiding behind saying they have exlcusives. It may never of been a lie, but it was never many per year.
Bud, come on, there are ways to be a fanboy and holding to the ridiculous recent PS narrative, but this ain't one of them. The truth is...the FACTS are....X had the better of the exclusives this gen right up until 2017....even the ponies knew it and from 2014 through 2016 their entire narrative was that PS was the best place to play 3rd parties (which was sort of true)...they never attempted ever to talk about exclusives as X players were playing one after another, while PS players went months between even Japanese indies. 2017 saw a surge of Japanese indies and X had virtually nothing.....and with the X1X fast approaching and the 3rd party narrative gone, the pony narrative changed.....and yet even with the half dozen or so Japanese indies, very few people outside Japan actually bought the games....yet the ponies were still chirping.....attach rates of less than 1% on all but a few of them games.....3 maybe 4....with only HZD selling in any reasonable way....and now with Cuphead, Forza 7 and PUBG on the way...the year looks closer to a tie....in the worst year by far for X this gen......note I have played only 1 exclusive this year, it was on PS, and I still think X was the far superior console this year due to backcompat...I've played more backcompat games this year than exclusives.

Ultimately, you are right, preferences are obviously subjective, but unless you love Japanese indies, the case for PS is challenging to make.
MATTKBAN
MATTKBAN
Posted on 11 November 17 at 15:30
Daelus1 said:
Bud, come on, there are ways to be a fanboy and holding to the ridiculous recent PS narrative, but this ain't one of them. The truth is...the FACTS are....X had the better of the exclusives this gen right up until 2017....even the ponies knew it and from 2014 through 2016 their entire narrative was that PS was the best place to play 3rd parties (which was sort of true)...they never attempted ever to talk about exclusives as X players were playing one after another, while PS players went months between even Japanese indies. 2017 saw a surge of Japanese indies and X had virtually nothing.....and with the X1X fast approaching and the 3rd party narrative gone, the pony narrative changed.....and yet even with the half dozen or so Japanese indies, very few people outside Japan actually bought the games....yet the ponies were still chirping.....attach rates of less than 1% on all but a few of them games.....3 maybe 4....with only HZD selling in any reasonable way....and now with Cuphead, Forza 7 and PUBG on the way...the year looks closer to a tie....in the worst year by far for X this gen......note I have played only 1 exclusive this year, it was on PS, and I still think X was the far superior console this year due to backcompat...I've played more backcompat games this year than exclusives.

Ultimately, you are right, preferences are obviously subjective, but unless you love Japanese indies, the case for PS is challenging to make.
The part you quoted from me - Im just being honest. Not taking a jab. A huge amount of respect to any company saying they need to change something. Sure, XB1 is doing fine with games. Microsoft & Team Xbox need to keep at it and like I said - doing so by investing more into it. There were some darker years near the end of the 360 lifecycle where it was so dry on games. Someone earlier mentioned the media machine period for 360. Remember those awful E3 conferences? I personally didn't want to hear about ESPN or Kinect this and that... I wanted games! Sony has had times as well talking about media this and that along with Playstation Move & Wonderbook at awkward moments. Bleh!
I'm not on any one side more than the other and am cheering them both on. It makes me happy in the end. ;D I own several duplicates of their older consoles from 2,3 & 4 on each side, each generation (recently got a new 3rd 360 just because. No dead consoles ;p).

And how you begin to respond is just my point - its subjective. If you can declare Xbox has the best exclusives so far this gen, sure, right on! Ive not played enough yet to pick my vote. If I agree or not its all good. Cool to see how differently some gamers feel. And Im definitely not into Japanese rpg's/indies so could care less what happens outta there ;p Though Nier Automata (if that even fits one of those categories) does look dope, if ever I get time to try it. Which that reminds me to respond to the attach rate thing.. Its not something I ever like to think about or get into. See with games like Nier which apparentely sold well, and likely thanks to pc, I never would of saw that coming. Theres so many different games for different people that its nonsense to me to think of the attach rate. That a game is so good most of a console audience will purchase it. There is always someone not into that style of game. FPS are always the most popular yet not every one of them sells a bucketload. So one should definitely expect oddball little titles to not have high attach rates. For me, at best leave the attach rate statistic for console launch titles to show what everyone got day or week 1.

Back to exclusives - Lets hope Microsoft one day has their own media conference where they reveal and talk about nothing but exclusive games. If you got the goods, show them off, right? I think this is what sparks these kind of debates when Sony has their Playstation Experience in Cali and then the recent Paris Games Week and usually strong showing in Tokyo Game Show and Cologne (does that event still happen? hah). This gets us gamers excited (or heated if opposing fanboys), so please Microsoft! Do something similar!
ShackledDeath
ShackledDeath
Posted on 15 November 17 at 00:32
JRPG's. Lost Odyssey 2 and persona games well anything from atlus. Idea factory just more rpg's.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.