Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Uphill Climb: Losing the Battle of Console Exclusives

AuthorMessage
Marc Pilkington
Posted on 10 November 17 at 19:03
Are we supporting a console that just isn't cutting it?

Please click here to read the story: Uphill Climb: Losing the Battle of Console Exclusives
Poll: How important are exclusive titles when you're deciding which console to buy?
  • 8.6% - Most important
  • 46.6% - Not most important, but still a factor
  • 25.2% - Not at all important
  • 18.4% - I buy multiple consoles so I can play exclusive games across platforms
  • 1.3% - Other

• We had 2,227 responses to the poll.
    You must log in to vote on this poll
    TrimSkink DSG
    TrimSkink DSG
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 19:10
    I was also discouraged about not getting Bloodbourne. I've hated all the Souls games and I really wish I could've gotten the chance to hate this one.
    Hopefully, Microsoft will start focusing on a few HIT exclusives now that their focus is off the X.
    Great article, Marc.
    Unrehearsed
    Unrehearsed
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 19:22
    It's mind boggling how often you've written naughty dog or one of their games in this article, and you see, that boils down to the real exclusives of Sony. Horizon is solid but way overrated, Nier, arguably the best game on PS4, is on PC, nioh too. Persona 5 never had chance to come on Xbox, same is true for Yakuza, another one of the real reasons to have a Sony console. Naughty dog games are just some mainstream blockbuster action games, little substance. The reason to have a PS 4 are the Japanese games not Sony published offerings.
    Shinnizle
    Shinnizle
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 19:24
    Personally, I couldn't care less about exclusives. I just want to play the damn game. I did the mistake of buying all three major consoles last generation (360, Wii, PS3) and I ended up barely playing my Wii and PS3. I just don't have enough time for more than one console per generation.

At this point, my achievement profile, my friends, the controller, and the familiarity of Xbox Live and the Xbox ecosystem in general are all more important to me than exclusives.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
    Dakrkplayer2
    Dakrkplayer2
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 19:25
    Sad thing about exclusive on gaming. It be thing in the past. There be still console exclusive. But true exclusive be long gone. Due to high cost to make video games. You can't get every one to buy a said console. Due to they have more likes games on other. Or they are some high end PC gamer. And kicker part about high end PC gamers. They will never touch a gaming console system in there life. So that less sale receipt what you spend on making the game. So there be less profits in the long run.
    .XBOX 4 LIFE. https://www.change.org/petitions/to-tell-microsoft-to-make-self-published-live-able-games-on-windows-phone-and-windows-8-and-tell-deve
    Euler13
    Euler13
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 19:26
    I'm possibly being naive, but I thought that the notion of exclusives are a relic of a past where the marketing departments for each console tried to control our thinking and bully us into "loyalty". Real video gamers, and those with the actual money to spend, proved that it didn't work. Either we'd accept that we will never get to play a particular title on our console or we'd just buy the other console. The noise we still see on forums and YouTube comments seems to come from small minded fan boys. Quite probably teenagers who have pestered their parents to buy a particular console and have then become enraged with jealousy when they see the games only available on the other console.

I have nothing but admiration for Phil Spencer who appears to have risen above this idea that exclusives are better. Better for who? The gamers? The developers? I think not.

Plus, for grown-ups with families and jobs there is not enough time to play a fraction of what is available already.
    Xx bRICKed xX
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 19:41
    Shinnizle said:
    Personally, I couldn't care less about exclusives. I just want to play the damn game. I did the mistake of buying all three major consoles last generation (360, Wii, PS3) and I ended up barely playing my Wii and PS3. I just don't have enough time for more than one console per generation.

At this point, my achievement profile, my friends, the controller, and the familiarity of Xbox Live and the Xbox ecosystem in general are all more important to me than exclusives.
    This is me too. I bought a PS4 last year for some of the games that were exclusive to it, but found myself slowly moving back to my Xbone. Its really hard to have more than one console and go back and forth. I gravitate towards one and that has and probably always will be, my Xbox.
    TheNickOfTime
    TheNickOfTime
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 19:49
    I haven't seen a M$ or Sony exclusive that has ever been worth my time.
    Halo, Forza, Uncharted, Last of Us and Gears are all garbage in my eyes.

If either of the two want to compete with my steam dollars they'll need to bring original ideas. Otherwise I'm just going to continue buying second hand console games for under $10.
    I'm always willing to help other players boost achievements even if I already have them. Just ask!
    Archeim
    Archeim
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 20:05
    I only play my PS4 for games i cannot get on my xbox. If given the choice and i could play the game on both PS4 and Xbox One, i would pick Xbox as i like xbox live, and the system interface much better than sony's offerings.

I love JRPG's (And Tactical RPG's) something fierce. My PS3 i bought (and PS4 really) mostly for the hope of Konami finally learning to count to six. (Suikoden - even though it will probably never happen) The other game series i play on PS4 is Disgaea by Nippon Ichi... who JUST released Disgaea 5 on the Nintendo Switch. (First time on a non sony console) I also need to give Mark props for the heavy rain mention by the studio Quantic Dream. Quantic Dream has not released a game on an Xbox system since Indigo Prophecy (Otherwise known as Fahrenheit) on the original xbox. (i credit that game with introducing me to a band called Theory of a Deadman... which i hold responsible for helping save my life after a mentally and emotionally devastating breakup)

That being said... Square Enix is releasing a bunch of games on Sony and not Xbox (yes, we get FFXV which i thought was total crap), we had 1 tales game (Vesperia) and then no more. Where is Mistwalker? Lost Odyssey was street corner gamer crack. (blue dragon not so much to me) We didnt get the latest Star Ocean either.

I'm fully aware that Sony does considerably better than Microsoft does in Japan, and that's a possible reason why not every game comes to xbox one.

Honestly i am looking at the release calendar for both systems and there's really not too much this holiday season.

Sorry for the disjointed ramble. The majority of my friends that i tolerate are on xbox one and it's my console of choice by far... i just am a greedy bastard that wants more.
    Download Lies of Astaroth on X1 (free) and use code 44wirx for free stuff (high TA)
    PrestonPreston
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 20:20
    I don't think anyone cares about exclusives really, it certainly doesn't sell consoles like PS players would have you believe.
    Sony might be 'winning' in the sales race against Microsoft, but Microsoft doesn't care anymore, having a dick measuring contest about unit sales is no longer their MO. They have become all about offering services and features galore to their users, 4 GwG a month, backwards compat, mods on console, cross-play, mixed reality like hololens, the list goes on.
    Sony is winning the sales race, but MS is killing them just as a tech company and decent service provider, they are doing all these great things while Sony is happy to sit on it's hands not doing much because they have a handful more exclusives, that 90% of gamers don't give two effs about. In some cases, like cross-play and mods, Sony has not only done that but has actively been digging it's heels in and being resistant to it, like they don't even want to help push the industry forward. They are so out of touch it's crazy.
    "music is my religion" - Jimi Hendrix
    TempChalice3455
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 20:25, Edited on 10 November 17 at 20:27 by TempChalice3455
    Archeim said:
    I only play my PS4 for games i cannot get on my xbox. If given the choice and i could play the game on both PS4 and Xbox One, i would pick Xbox as i like xbox live, and the system interface much better than sony's offerings.

I love JRPG's (And Tactical RPG's) something fierce. My PS3 i bought (and PS4 really) mostly for the hope of Konami finally learning to count to six. (Suikoden - even though it will probably never happen) The other game series i play on PS4 is Disgaea by Nippon Ichi... who JUST released Disgaea 5 on the Nintendo Switch. (First time on a non sony console) I also need to give Mark props for the heavy rain mention by the studio Quantic Dream. Quantic Dream has not released a game on an Xbox system since Indigo Prophecy (Otherwise known as Fahrenheit) on the original xbox. (i credit that game with introducing me to a band called Theory of a Deadman... which i hold responsible for helping save my life after a mentally and emotionally devastating breakup)
    It's kind of funny really, I myself love JRPGs as well but still find myself gravitating back towards Xbox within just a couple months every time I take a break to focus on PlayStation as I just enjoy the system more. I even know at least 1 friend who is a big RPG fan that still plays Xbox more than PlayStation.
    Ginuwine AI3
    Ginuwine AI3
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 20:32
    Shinnizle said:

These reasons, exactly. toast
    Bridge188
    Bridge188
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 20:37, Edited on 10 November 17 at 20:38 by Bridge188
    I will never support this toxic business practice. I see in PS4 adverts - "for the players" - bullshit. If it was for the players, you'd want the most people to play it. They mean "for us" or "for your money".

I'll choose the console I want and then play whatever it happens to have.
    PhonySpoon
    PhonySpoon
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 20:37
    Someone please show this article to Phil Spencer. Please. These are my thoughts EXACTLY.
    HUstlinonradio
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 20:49
    Before I speak, what I have always found interesting? That the majority of times when persons are talking about console exclusives it is always about Sony and Microsoft when it is really Nintendo that are above both companies when it comes to that. Every year (not just talking about 2017) Nintendo brings out the most 1st party exclusive games every year to the point where if they were ever to produce the minimal amount of 1st party games that Microsoft have this year. They would be absolutely crucified and damned.

Anyway on topic. What I have realized the past year when examining Sony's first party games and the impact about them is the fact that they are Single-Player. In the gaming community, single player games though they are less popular are the ones that are given the most praise and reverence compared to multiplayer games. Sony realizes this and capitalized on this with high production AAA quality single player games. Even the games that include multiplayer such as the Last of Us and Uncharted are not known for their multiplayer but for their single player content.

Microsoft however is the opposite: Gears, Halo and Forza (the big three) are more than the Sony games are known for their Multiplayer as is Microsoft itself overall. Look at the content that you have automatically determined are the things that are branded as exclusives: Single player focused games. But when you look at both company's and the strengths, I think that in terms of the multiplayer side of the exclusives that it is Microsoft who triumph over Sony in that regard. They have the better infrastructure and have shaped their games in a way that take advantage of those strengths.

Basically what I am saying is that the things that you want I do not believe that Microsoft will be able to (or want to) ever deliver again in a way that will satisfy the type of gamer that you are: the one who prefers high production single player games. But that is ok, I prefer microsoft because of their multiplayer and so do many others. Yes it is disappointing not to get that content on our platform but I am sure some Sony fans are disappointed that they do not get those on their system either
    I'm Awkward With Potential: Boss Major
    AbyssArtorias85
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 20:51
    xbox fan boys all over the shop...you will find their comments sooner or later
    ukinspro
    ukinspro
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 20:53
    Gamescore is the spawn of the devil.

Trophies are so much better because who really cares how many platinum's they have. Without GS I wouldn't have spent the year trying to get to 500k, I could take my time, enjoy games more, but no i'm caught in that trap set by MS for idiots. A number that means nothing but yet so much.

But back to the point exclusives may pull in the new gamers, but once you have so much invested time in one console or the other, I'm not sure exclusives matter anymore.

That said I bought both, no reason to miss out.
    meatman75
    meatman75
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 21:05, Edited on 10 November 17 at 21:07 by meatman75
    Shinnizle said:
    Been on Xbox Live since 2007. Same, love and will never leave it.

I was worried a bit during the Kinect phase and early XB1 days, but since Phil Spencer took the wheel of Xbox, he is driving in the right direction and they are continually giving us more of what we want. The future looks bright in Xbox land.
    WebMan
    WebMan
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 21:15
    Bridge188 said:
    I will never support this toxic business practice. I see in PS4 adverts - "for the players" - bullshit. If it was for the players, you'd want the most people to play it. They mean "for us" or "for your money".

I'll choose the console I want and then play whatever it happens to have.
    Agreed. Exclusive games are very irritating to me. They are for the benefit of the console makers and fanboys. This all started when Nintendo created Super Mario for the NES. Sega had to respond with Sonic. Then when the PlayStation came out, they had Crash Bandicoot. Imagine a single gaming system that could play all of these games. It sounds strange and impossible but look at other technologies.

Imagine if you bought a new TV but the brand that you purchased couldn’t play NBC, MTV, or ESPN. Imagine if your new Blu Ray player could not play Star Wars or Batman movies. Imagine if your new CD player (I’m dating myself here) could not play rock or pop discs. These devices don’t need exclusive content to succeed. The do it the old fashioned way. They differentiate themselves with better features and build quality than their competition.

* now stepping off of my soapbox *
    Darth Craigus
    Darth Craigus
    Posted on 10 November 17 at 21:19
    I originally voted "I buy multiple consoles so I can play exclusive games across platforms", however I've changed my vote to "Not at all important". I own both an Xbox One and a PS4, and I barely touch the PS4. I own Uncharted 1-4 (only played the first two) and The Last of Us, but I don't really have a great deal of interest in the other exclusives listed in this article. I honestly find myself choosing to play Xbox far more. This whole thing about exclusives does get on my nerves at times because it's such an easy argument for fanboys to throw around - but in my honest opinion even with the exclusives on offer I always choose Xbox. The UI, the controller, the friends that also own Xbox, the achievements system are all far better, in my opinion, than their Sony counterparts and it's why I keep going back for more.
    "Of course you forget, Peter, I was present at an undersea, unexplained mass sponge migration."
    Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.