Game Discussion: Overwatch: Origins Edition Forum

Discontinued achievements?

AuthorMessage
EbonHawk01
EbonHawk01
Posted on 17 November 17 at 14:44
I am considering buying Overwatch in the sale. I am slightly concerned that 23 of the game's achievements are listed as discontinued. Is there any possibility these will be obtainable again at some point?
Shadow Kisuragi
Posted on 17 November 17 at 16:53
They're for events that are available on a time-limited basis. There is no guarantee that they will return, but the Halloween Terror 2017 event also included the ability to earn the Halloween Terror 2016 achievements.
xCrimsonLegendx
Posted on 19 November 17 at 10:33
They're annual and recur every time those events recycle though, for instance Halloween just ended and all of the 2016 achievements were obtainable again, plus several new ones.
coinfrenzy
coinfrenzy
Posted on 20 November 17 at 06:47
AHHHH I see lets just hope they continuously renew them unlike judgment lol
http://stores.ebay.com/coinfrenzyclaimsale IG-@COINFRENZYGAMES
AngloSaxton
AngloSaxton
Posted on 20 November 17 at 15:18
coinfrenzy said:
While there is no guarantee, Overwatch has much more of a "games as a service" model than Judgement did. This so far has translated into constant balance and content update calendar.

Based on the ongoing popularity, I don't see this stopped. The real question is if they will continue bringing back old events.
Up the Villa!
coinfrenzy
coinfrenzy
Posted on 22 November 17 at 10:32
AngloSaxton said:
coinfrenzy said:
While there is no guarantee, Overwatch has much more of a "games as a service" model than Judgement did. This so far has translated into constant balance and content update calendar.

Based on the ongoing popularity, I don't see this stopped. The real question is if they will continue bringing back old events.
Definitely the popularity is keeping these updates coming for sure. toast After all. It is a great game lol
http://stores.ebay.com/coinfrenzyclaimsale IG-@COINFRENZYGAMES
YouCantSaveHer
Posted on 25 December 17 at 03:45
These need to be classified as seasonal achievements and not discontinued.
This site needs to clean up quite a bit.
Obtained the shadows rushed me.
Shadow Kisuragi
Posted on 25 December 17 at 21:45
And, how do we denote them as "Seasonal" ?
Also, Year of the Rooster is a Zodiac calendar new year event, and Summer Games is every 2 years. How do we class those?
Orodeth Prime
Orodeth Prime
Posted on 28 December 17 at 22:33, Edited on 28 December 17 at 22:33 by Orodeth Prime
So next time to get the rooster achievements would be 2029 right?

That would put the game right on everybody completionist's blacklist.

Have fun.
YouCantSaveHer
Posted on 12 January 18 at 02:02
Trying hard to be respectful here.
Just wait and watch. All the dlc will be available every year.
Watch.
Shadow Kisuragi
Posted on 12 January 18 at 02:15
Trying hard? I'm sorry, but your previous statement was not exactly respectful in giving a blanket statement that the site "needs to be cleaned up quite a bit". If you're going to give statements like that, please give examples so that we can fix whatever's wrong, as the Game Information staff works hard to provide you the information you currently see.

We originally had these listed as regular achievements, and the number of comments and submissions denoting that these were not available and the original status of them returning resulted in them being labeled as Discontinued. We've seen three events return, and I don't necessarily have a problem with them being labeled as Time/Date instead of Discontinued, but we can't put a date on them like other Time/Date achievements because they start at the whim of the developer, so having them Discontinued is a convenient way for us to send notifications to those interested when we remove the Discontinued flag, or it's up to someone to submit a News Story when they become active again.

While you're confident that the rest of the DLC will become available every year, including Year of the Rooster, we cannot make that assumption until we see it come back at least once, potentially as Year of the Dog in February or at the same period of Year of the Rooster from last year.
YouCantSaveHer
Posted on 12 January 18 at 02:23
...give you an example on how to fix a problem on this site?
I stated the problem.
Not my site. Not my place to tell anyone what to do or how to do it.

I am positive the achievements will be back. I read through the forums during Nov december. And yes it will be year od the dog. Ok cool. But blizzard stated, they will be doing it like the halloween and winter achievements.
Possible for new added achievements. And the old ones will have their own game mode search. Just as meis snowball returned.
Blizzard supports 100% and they dontt fuck everything up like every other company.

So i know it wont happen this year because this site is so professional. Lol...
At the end of 2018 bet you none of these will be listed as discontinued.

End rant. Not coming bsck here to read or type another story.
Too many people living on this site like its life and being oh so serious.

Good luck bro
Shadow Kisuragi
Posted on 12 January 18 at 02:35, Edited on 12 January 18 at 04:06 by Shadow Kisuragi
First: You stated "a" problem, but made a blanket statement about the site as a whole. I don't deal in blanket statements. If you want to deal with this problem, I'm game.

Second: We can't take action on the word of a random person on the Internet. If you have source from the Blizzard forums, I'd be glad to take action on that. As I stated earlier, I'd be happy to consider removing Discontinued and applying Time/Date to the events that have returned, and if they've stated that these more contentious events will be returning (specifically the Year of the Zodiac event), then that resolves the problem that we have. In fact, I'll be happy to troll the Blizzard forums and pages to see what I can find to support your claim, and I've heard that the events are planned to come back as well, but I've specifically not heard anything about the Zodiac event to this day.

EDIT: Found that the events returning were specifically mentioned in the Developer Update on the 2nd. We're still discussing whether or not these should be classed as Discontinued, because they are impossible to obtain currently unlike other date-based achievements where you can just change the date. This decision impacts other titles besides Overwatch, so we need to evaluate what it would impact as well.
Epilepsy Sucks
Posted on 12 January 18 at 05:02
Shadow Kisuragi said:
And, how do we denote them as "Seasonal" ?
Also, Year of the Rooster is a Zodiac calendar new year event, and Summer Games is every 2 years. How do we class those?
Summer Games is every year.
Keeping people in the loop since 1990.
Epilepsy Sucks
Posted on 12 January 18 at 05:08
Shadow Kisuragi said:
First: You stated "a" problem, but made a blanket statement about the site as a whole. I don't deal in blanket statements. If you want to deal with this problem, I'm game.

Second: We can't take action on the word of a random person on the Internet. If you have source from the Blizzard forums, I'd be glad to take action on that. As I stated earlier, I'd be happy to consider removing Discontinued and applying Time/Date to the events that have returned, and if they've stated that these more contentious events will be returning (specifically the Year of the Zodiac event), then that resolves the problem that we have. In fact, I'll be happy to troll the Blizzard forums and pages to see what I can find to support your claim, and I've heard that the events are planned to come back as well, but I've specifically not heard anything about the Zodiac event to this day.

EDIT: Found that the events returning were specifically mentioned in the Developer Update on the 2nd. We're still discussing whether or not these should be classed as Discontinued, because they are impossible to obtain currently unlike other date-based achievements where you can just change the date. This decision impacts other titles besides Overwatch, so we need to evaluate what it would impact as well.
The only other way you could classify them is to do so similarly to how the date specific achievements for MCC are. But those are on specific days of the year, the events on OW span more than a day and the dates themselves vary year to year.

Only real way to do so would be to keep it as is but also have a disclaimer on the OW page informing that the achievements are seasonal.
Epilepsy Sucks
Posted on 12 January 18 at 05:13
YouCantSaveHer said:
...give you an example on how to fix a problem on this site?
I stated the problem.
Not my site. Not my place to tell anyone what to do or how to do it.

I am positive the achievements will be back. I read through the forums during Nov december. And yes it will be year od the dog. Ok cool. But blizzard stated, they will be doing it like the halloween and winter achievements.
Possible for new added achievements. And the old ones will have their own game mode search. Just as meis snowball returned.
Blizzard supports 100% and they dontt fuck everything up like every other company.

So i know it wont happen this year because this site is so professional. Lol...
At the end of 2018 bet you none of these will be listed as discontinued.

End rant. Not coming bsck here to read or type another story.
Too many people living on this site like its life and being oh so serious.

Good luck bro
In terms of the achievements themselves, I would love the idea of them making all events available so people wouldn't have to worry about date specific crap (Uprising is the worst time of the year for me), but it won't happen.

What I do see happening is them limiting achievements to events because an event will have just too many. Halloween Terror has 8 right now, Uprising has 6. They may just stop adding them after a while. At least to the PvE ones.
Shadow Kisuragi
Posted on 12 January 18 at 05:13
The event is, yes, as that came back last year. The real event it's based off is not. Admittedly bad example on my part, but that's Seasonal within the scope of Overwatch and not the real world event. As I confirmed earlier, the director confirmed that all events are returning in some form, so we can assume that Year of the Rooster will return with Year of the Dog based on the previous pattern.
Piston Toyota
Piston Toyota
Posted on 12 January 18 at 07:03
Epilepsy Sucks said:
Only real way to do so would be to keep it as is but also have a disclaimer on the OW page informing that the achievements are seasonal.
For the record, we're already doing this from the Public Info Box on the right side of the main achievement page:

This title features time-limited seasonal events, which may or may not return when concluded. At present the following updates affected:
- Halloween Terror 2016
- Winter Wonderland 2016
- Year of the Rooster
- Uprising
- Summer Games
- Halloween Terror 2017
- Winter Wonderland 2017
Epilepsy Sucks
Posted on 12 January 18 at 22:36
Piston Toyota said:
Epilepsy Sucks said:
For the record, we're already doing this from the Public Info Box on the right side of the main achievement page:

This title features time-limited seasonal events, which may or may not return when concluded. At present the following updates affected:
- Halloween Terror 2016
- Winter Wonderland 2016
- Year of the Rooster
- Uprising
- Summer Games
- Halloween Terror 2017
- Winter Wonderland 2017
Yeah, wasn't sure if they were already in place or not when I made the post.
Shadow Kisuragi
Posted on 12 January 18 at 23:10
It's actually been in place since Winter Wonderland 2016. shock
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.