Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Clicker Heroes 2 Developer Abandons Free to Play Model Over Ethical Concerns

• torrens7760torrens7760260,244
    Posted on 22 November 17 at 21:46
    reforc3 said:
    Dyssident said:
    Odds of me playing Clicker Heroes 2 as F2P: 100%
    Odds of me playing Clicker Heroes 2 at $30: 0%
    Odds of you expending more than $30 on Clicker Heroes 2 as F2P: 1000%
    I've played Clicker Heroes 1 on Steam for hundreds of hours and never spent a penny on it, because I found I was able to enjoy it just the same. I agree with OP in that I would be more likely to play CH2 if it were a F2P because $30/£30 is a lot to pay in a single transaction; whereas spending that amount over the course of playing the game makes sense to me as someone with a low income.
    Cogito ergo sum.
  • OldMateClownOldMateClown1,063,899
    Posted on 22 November 17 at 22:43
    I spent 557 hours playing Clicker Heroes for the completion without paying anything but if it was $30 that would have been roughly $0.18 p/hour of entertainment. I might not have spent anything on the first one but I think they've earned the $30 between two games
  • troyoytroyoy930,295
    Posted on 22 November 17 at 22:45
    I will pay $30, that will save me about $1470. I am one of the "whales," or big-money spenders, who spent "many thousands of dollars" that they speak of. I only spend $20 a week on it now. I used to easily spend $80 on the weekend then more throughout the week. How many people can say they are at level 13,100 though? How many people actually give a shit? Yes I know, I am addicted to this game. I was addicted to another game and my wife left me and I kept playing that game. She came back after 3 months. So I guess I am saying some people have a lot more addictive personalities than others.
    I have 9 usa 360`s set up, 4 pal 360`s, 3 japan 360`s and 2 xboxones set up and the girlfriend calls me crazy.
  • TyzirkleTyzirkle330,642
    Posted on 22 November 17 at 23:04
    The first one wasn't good enough to even consider the second.
    -Tyzirkle
  • Foxy GrayFoxy Gray413,333
    Posted on 23 November 17 at 00:26
    Outsider Fenix said:
    So charging a fee right out to play the game is a better business decision than just having a fair Free to Play system so people who want to pay for boosts can, and those who don't can just play for free?
    And one person tries to light their shoe on fire on an airplane and now we all need to take our shoes off to get through security. Welcome to how the world works. We can't have nice things.
  • Foxy GrayFoxy Gray413,333
    Posted on 23 November 17 at 00:29
    Tyzirkle said:
    This seems baseless. Care to elaborate? Because if you're not into Clicker games than why are you even a part of this discussion and if you are into Clicker games it's easily one of the top three in terms of mechanics, depth, art style and "action". Aside from maybe Cookie Clicker and Adventure Capitalist I'd like to see you name a better one or at least build a case around your statement.
  • ScoobyDoobyD0ntScoobyDoobyD0nt3,947,190
    Posted on 23 November 17 at 01:02
    i misread this whole thing and thought it said they were switching the first one..meaning it wouldnt be f2p anymore i was going to cry ;-; i didnt even finish it yet
    Scoooooby-doooooby-dooooo
  • NerdrageXNerdrageX811,727
    Posted on 23 November 17 at 01:09
    Foxy Gray said:
    Tyzirkle said:
    This seems baseless. Care to elaborate? Because if you're not into Clicker games than why are you even a part of this discussion and if you are into Clicker games it's easily one of the top three in terms of mechanics, depth, art style and "action". Aside from maybe Cookie Clicker and Adventure Capitalist I'd like to see you name a better one or at least build a case around your statement.
    I liked CH1, but Zombidle is the greatest clicker game of all time.
  • Posted on 23 November 17 at 03:42
    I assume this is a ploy playing off EA's oversight of lootboxes, targeting the demographic of people fed up with microtransaction.
  • k bastik basti365,142
    Posted on 23 November 17 at 05:46
    Whats The release date?
  • GHOST INS1DEGHOST INS1DE926,328
    Posted on 23 November 17 at 12:16, Edited on 23 November 17 at 12:16 by GHOST INS1DE
    k basti said:
    Whats The release date?
    This is taken from their website:

Some time in 2018. It's too early to say a specific day or month. We'll provide a more accurate time frame when we get closer to release.

Source: https://www.clickerheroes2.com/
  • ZalexzyZalexzy2,729,332
    Posted on 23 November 17 at 13:18
    MH The Rockstar said:
    What a brave and refreshing decision. If they stick with their plan, then I have some new found respect for Playsaurus.
    Requiescat In Pace, Playsaurus.
  • BahaumautBahaumaut1,733,721
    Posted on 23 November 17 at 17:31
    $30 is a bit too pricy for what is basically a game that plays itself. That's the nature of the Idle games, and a lot of casual.

And this is someone that has wandered through a LOT of idle and clicker games to the point of being compulsive, and jumped on Clicker Heroes again when it finally went live on the One.

$15 would seem a bit much, even, but more understandable. And if they had a lot more content that wasn't just holding turbo-button, then that brings the worth up closer to that price. The idea of having modding is interesting, so if there are good things that come from that, then it'd be more palatable.
  • ALollzALollz762,382
    Posted on 23 November 17 at 17:53
    This is super disappointing. Especially because Clicker Heroes 1 was legitimately balanced in terms of the micro transactions. Sure, you could throw money into the game and get a boost, but if you were just grinding a long the rubies came naturally.

Especially after the mercenary update, rubies felt like a rather stable and common form of currency. It almost seemed idiotic to pay $100 for like 500 rubies when you could just play for like 24 hours.

There are a lot of games that are far worse in terms of balance. We all know those games, where like spending $5 circumvents 30 hours of grinding, or some tedious inventory management. Those are the dangerous games because you feel like you really need to invest in the game. Clicker heroes was on the opposite end of the spectrum.

But there's no way I'd ever pay close to $30 for a game where I just sit and watch the numbers get larger. There are just far too many free clones that offer the exact same gameplay (Cookie Clicker...) so why would you ever pay $30?
  • mcnuggestsmcnuggests919,085
    Posted on 23 November 17 at 19:39
    troyoy said:
    I will pay $30, that will save me about $1470. I am one of the "whales," or big-money spenders, who spent "many thousands of dollars" that they speak of. I only spend $20 a week on it now. I used to easily spend $80 on the weekend then more throughout the week. How many people can say they are at level 13,100 though? How many people actually give a shit? Yes I know, I am addicted to this game. I was addicted to another game and my wife left me and I kept playing that game. She came back after 3 months. So I guess I am saying some people have a lot more addictive personalities than others.
    HAHAHHAHA smile
  • ChievoPoppinChievoPoppin1,186,708 1,186,708 GamerScore
    Posted on 24 November 17 at 09:29, Edited on 24 November 17 at 09:41 by ChievoPoppin
    Honestly, microtransactions are fine. However, microtransactions are a classification really. There several different TYPES of microtransactions though. IMO, three:

Loot boxes / Packs
    Boosts
    Currency

Although a lot hate microtransactions the last two are choice really and are fine. EA royally screwed up by trying to use the first group to include a lot of stuff while tting it to game progression.....or game progression would be like climbing Mt. Everest without. Loot boxes will probably get banned. It is gambling - chance vs skill. So, EA also screwed over cosmetic only loot box use.... As that is still chance.

However! That first category can be split into two subdivisions! Madden would be screwed without packs, yeah? Well. Honestly. That is the division point. EA actually has alternative ways for users to get cards. I.E. Auction house, trading, etc. That can't be considered gambling as users don't have to keep dropping money on packs for a chance at that specific card they want.

So, imo, I think CH2 is gonna hurt if it releases with a price tag...

**edit**
    Also, there's a lot more I can talk about too..but I think this helps show that there's waaaay more to the situation. Of course, this is my view, but I think it's better than, "microtransactions suck and only belong in f2p games."
  • ProjectSixProjectSix688,508
    Posted on 24 November 17 at 14:03
    I enjoyed the first one and was/am looking forward to CH2. I'm fine with the change.. but it does feel like they went too far the other way. $10 seems about right.. $15 would've been tops. $30 feels like too much.. but I'll grab it eventually on a sale.
  • Posted on 24 November 17 at 14:40
    reforc3 said:
    Dyssident said:
    Odds of me playing Clicker Heroes 2 as F2P: 100%
    Odds of me playing Clicker Heroes 2 at $30: 0%
    Odds of you expending more than $30 on Clicker Heroes 2 as F2P: 1000%
    It's one of the few f2p games where you don't really need to spend any money really though. I started it up again and I'm getting to around done 1200.
  • AlahertAlahert2,920,853
    Posted on 24 November 17 at 17:44
    I would have loved to try the game, but I think 30$ is a bit too much, maybe if it gets a really nice sale I'll pick it up after the release!
    DARK 777
  • VegaDark541VegaDark541354,254
    Posted on 25 November 17 at 06:18
    I've been a daily player of Clicker Heroes (PC version) for over two years now. Never paid for any of the micro transactions.

I can't see myself buying Clicker Heroes 2 despite being so loyal to the first game. Bottom line, A+ titles are cheaper than $30 a year or so after release. There's no way I could justify paying so much for an "idle" game. If it were $5 I'd strongly consider it. Maybe even $10 at most. At $30 however I just don't see the justification. I'm very interested to see just how many people pay this amount to play it. I think they are going to lose a huge chunk of their player base.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads