Game Discussion: Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection

Saving failed error

• McRooneyMcRooney293,611
    Posted on 04 December 17 at 06:57
    While playing the campaign I since a couple of days get a saving failed error, resulting in no progress being recorded in the campaign. I am positive there is enough space on my Xbox. Anyone had this error and knows how the resolve it?
  • JOHNtheWORSTJOHNtheWORST470,699
    Posted on 05 December 17 at 13:25
    Getting this, too. Tried to clear my cache, erase all non-essential photos, saves, etc. Nothing helps. This is the most broken game I've played in a while.
    Posted on 10 December 17 at 13:49
    Unfortunately after the update of beginning of December the error still exists. Same with others?
  • kytor26kytor26229,065
    Posted on 12 December 17 at 20:48, Edited on 12 December 17 at 21:30 by kytor26
    I even uninstalled the game and reinstalled it today, and still have the saves issue.

UPDATE: It seems this can be remedied by deleting the pictures in your album. I deleted all mine, and haven't had the issue for the last 30 minutes! A hassle, but a fix nonetheless.
  • JOHNtheWORSTJOHNtheWORST470,699
    Posted on 13 December 17 at 16:52
    Yeah, but it gets worse and worse, eventually deleting pictures won't work.
  • Larvi1Larvi12,243,813
    Posted on 14 December 17 at 22:32
    Is the game on an external drive by any chance? If so, you might try moving it to the internal XB1 drive and see if that makes any difference. It's probably a long shot but I've had issues with certain external drives on the xbox in the past where they go into a low power sleep mode and get errors because the game isn't waiting long enough for the drive to wake up again.
    Posted on 15 December 17 at 11:54
    Nope it is on the internal HD. The error was gone for a while and back now. I suspect total profile size to be an issue, since it got worse when you progress further in the game.
  • Larvi1Larvi12,243,813
    Posted on 15 December 17 at 16:55
    I just checked and my save is 236.6mb and didn't have any issues with saving. What is your save size for comparison sake? Too bad there is no option to defragment a XB1 hard drive that I'm aware of, that would be something else that might help.
    Posted on 15 December 17 at 16:56
    271mb.
  • DaenerysDaenerys57,576
    Posted on 17 December 17 at 19:47
    Yes this started for me. Such a shame that this game is soo buggy. Worst I've played in a long time.

You can get around it by making zoo Go Online. This worked on mine.

However one problem I've had (well one of many) I'm on a challenge where you need 176 species. I have every one available but it's only counting as 175.

When getting to become a large park with a lot in it the helicopter issue started again. And it's crashed a few times. This is on the Xbox One X so I doubt it's a console issue.

McRooney you still experiencing these issues?
    Posted on 18 December 17 at 06:42
    I am experiencing the save issue, the rest (helicopters mainly) seems to have been resolved.
  • Forlorn WolfForlorn Wolf208,140
    Posted on 01 January 18 at 23:41
    fruityseb said:
    Yes this started for me. Such a shame that this game is soo buggy. Worst I've played in a long time.

You can get around it by making zoo Go Online. This worked on mine.

However one problem I've had (well one of many) I'm on a challenge where you need 176 species. I have every one available but it's only counting as 175.

When getting to become a large park with a lot in it the helicopter issue started again. And it's crashed a few times. This is on the Xbox One X so I doubt it's a console issue.

McRooney you still experiencing these issues?
    The star animal is from another zoo. One of the African ones has the lion you are missing. You have to play that zoo and send the animal to the reserve. Go back to the England zoo and adopt it from the reserve.
  • smrnovsmrnov5,768,474
    Posted on 02 January 18 at 14:49
    I'm getting the save error now too, and my save is 271 mb as well. I deleted all journal photos and extra saves, and still no luck.

I do have my hidden photos and most of my photo album completed, so I don't know if that has something to do with it, but I can't seem to delete those anyway.

Will have to wait for another patch.
  • DragonlingDragonling778,219
    Posted on 04 January 18 at 16:50
    I hit this error right after the last patch (beginning of December). My gf started hitting it on Zoos she hosted a couple weeks later and at first we thought it was just bloody annoying as we confirmed that the changes to the zoo are still being successfully saved.

However it seems no profile data is being tracked, so photos, adopted/released, variants, etc. are all being lost for your profile when these failed saves happen :(

We won't be booting up the game until there is another patch to fix this as it makes the longer collection achievements impossible unless you do them in a single zoo in a single session.
  • El ConnroEl Connro1,076,366
    Posted on 08 January 18 at 07:30
    I've been getting the same error message every time when the game tries to auto-save, but when I manually select the "Save Zoo" option from the pause menu, it successfully saves everything and I'm able to re-load the zoo without issue. My Zoopedia remains up-to-date and the achievement tracker is still tracking everything. Still a major pain in the ass, but I haven't lost anything...yet?
  • smrnovsmrnov5,768,474
    Posted on 08 January 18 at 12:15
    I thought I wasn't losing anything as well, but then after closing the game and restarting later, some of the animals I had released were no longer checked off, and the challenge zoo I was working on had less of the required number that I left it at.

I think it's possible it might save sometimes, but it was such a pain that I stopped playing it.
  • El ConnroEl Connro1,076,366
    Posted on 08 January 18 at 22:17
    Yeah I unfortunately spoke too soon. Same thing happened to me this morning when I booted it up. It really sucks because I'm playing this via Game Pass and was hoping to get it done before my subscription ends later this month, and I'm not counting on them getting a patch out before then.

Just a heads up to anybody who is planning on starting this game: once you've gotten the achievement for filling up 25 animal photo albums, stop taking pictures of animals unless they are a color variant (which you should do as a way to track which ones you've gotten, as there's no other way currently to do so in-game). I'm suspecting having too many photos is the reason we're all getting this error. While you can delete the photos from your journal to help alleviate the issue, you can't delete the ones from the animal albums, and eventually it will become insurmountable and your stats won't save, even if your zoo does. The only workaround would be to never close out the game until you get all the breeding achievements, which really doesn't seem worth the effort.

As of now I'm just going to wrap up the achievements unaffected by the issue, like the ones for walking and driving certain distances and doing 25 of each interaction while hoping a patch is eventually released to fix this issue. Does anyone know if the same thing happens in the original version of Zoo Tycoon? It'd be weird if it's only in the Ultimate Animal Collection.
  • smrnovsmrnov5,768,474
    Posted on 08 January 18 at 22:53
    I think it's likely the photos as well. I deleted all the journal photos but my photo album I was working towards filling (even after the 25 albums achievement) for tracking variants as well.

I completed the original Zoo Tycoon on X360 and Xbox One and had no issues at all, so it seems only to be this version with the saving issue.

Being this is a play anywhere title, possibly it works on Windows 10. I'll try it out when I get a chance.
  • Forlorn WolfForlorn Wolf208,140
    Posted on 13 January 18 at 15:02, Edited on 14 January 18 at 04:21 by Forlorn Wolf
    I downloaded it and played it on Windows 10. The save error did not pop up. I went to my album and deleted some photos that did not show up while I was on my Xbox One X. I played for over an hour and had no error issues.

The next day (right now) I went back to Xbox One X and the photos I deleted on the laptop were gone and I have yet to encounter the save error after over an hour of playing.

So it seems that if you are having the save issue, go play on a PC and delete some of the photos in your album.

Update: I just got the save error. I sold some animals too fast. Up until that point I would wait for the quicksave on the bottom right corner to disappear before taking further actions. I sold two animals in a row without waiting and the error popped up. I noticed it pops up when doing something like that or when taking photos.

Update 2: I think it is also releasing animals. I am now getting the glitch when taking pictures of new variety babies. Going back to playing on my laptop.

Update 3: Been playing on my laptop for over an hour. When I take a picture of a new baby variant it goes to my photo collection and has a giant X in the middle. Obviously an error photo. I have to move locations to get a picture of it so it goes to the animal album. Problem is, the last few animals I took a photo of were replaced by the stock images of an adult variant.
  • tynderitynderi311,723
    Posted on 21 January 18 at 02:32, Edited on 21 January 18 at 02:36 by tynderi
    Campaigns completed and now doing challenge zoos on Xbox. Have about 60% of them done and every time the game tries to autosave I get the error message. So far it's when getting a new Fame level, adopting a new animal species, taking a picture etc. This is just awful, played the Xbox One version and it was so smooth and fun to play. Now I'm playing on Xbox One X and every gameplay my game chrashes at least once, I get the save error message about every 30 seconds, some functions are still broken (can't wash Rhinos, the water just goes through and animal leaves), the path system is just a waste of time and I just want to complete and uninstall the game. I spent hours deleting all of my other save files and all the photos from the photo journal for a few ten minutes of error free game play. Not going to recommend this one to my friends, too awkward and painful to play.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.