Game Discussion: Elite: Dangerous Forum

Elite Dangerous Walkthrough

AuthorMessage
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 07 December 17 at 01:38
So I've decided to take on the massive project of trying to create the best possible walkthrough for this insanely massive game. I've already started trying to collect as much information as I can and was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of any great resources that I may miss and/or should definitely have.

At the moment I think I'm going to try breakdown the walkthrough like so -

P1 - Big guide to getting yourself established in the game, making an income and touch on the different activities you have to choose from.
P2 - Focus on Exploration achievements
P3 - Focus on Trading achievements
P4 - Focus on Combat/MP mode achievements (Deathmatch, CtF etc)

Obviously there will be more than what I've listed so far. If anyone has thoughts I'd be happy to hear them
Chris1984uk
Chris1984uk
Posted on 07 December 17 at 09:22
Lol

Don't even attempt to do the walkthrough for this game until you have sunk a massive amount of time into the game.

This isn't as straight forward as writing a walkthrough for a single player game and certainly not one you can fudge by reading resources.

I'm 20-30-40+ hours into this game and I wouldn't feel comfortable tackling this walkthrough
Legohead 1977
Legohead 1977
Posted on 07 December 17 at 10:39
I am 381hrs in and I honestly couldn't even imagine how to start a walkthrough, it would have to be so vague as there are so many possibilities available to the player.

This is the sort of game that needs a hub where people can suggest various techniques and resources, then you pick the one closest to your style of play or interests.
Legohead 1977
SwankyCriminal
Posted on 08 December 17 at 16:14
Over 4,000 hours here...and one of the very very very few who have completed the game....a walk through of Elite: Dangerous would be pointless. Just telling people that the learning curve is really extreme and find other players to play with is the best way to learn and get started, not reading tips that could change with the next update. Its really easy to find people to play with, just join a wing off of Inara.
~Swanky C~
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 08 December 17 at 16:43
I think I could put something good together. I would be fine with updating it as often as needed for updates. Obviously it won't be easy to cover everything but I think I can at least make a decent number of peoples lives much easier.
Current Future
Posted on 08 December 17 at 21:04, Edited on 08 December 17 at 21:15 by Current Future
At one point I had considered writing a WT for Elite, as I am one of the 10 to complete the entire game (Base & DLCs) and have had a WT published, but in the end I opted not to.

I found Elite to be about the Journey not the Destination. Alot of the achievements may appear hard, but in all honesty if you like the game, they are not, they just take time. It took me a little over 1600 hours to win all 199 of Elite's achievements, and if I had made some better decisions, like filtering out all those asteroids I scanned or getting involved in fights I had no business being in, I would have shaved a few hundred hours of that number.

Points that are (hopefully) helpful:

1.) Familiarize yourself with https://eddb.io/.

2.) Get a Anaconda as soon as you can. You can outfit an Anconda for Trade, Combat and Exploration all at once. Don't do what I did and buy every ship up to the Anaconda. An Anaconda is virtually a lisence to print money. With an Anaconda all things are possible.

3.) Don't concern yourself with combat until you have an Anaconda and have it outfitted the way you want it. Use https://coriolis.edcd.io/ to plan your ships. For instance, this is mine: https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/anaconda?code=A2putpFklndzsx....

4.) Never go anywhere without a Fuel Scoop. A Fuel Scoop is REQUIRED (the game will not tell you this) for any deep space exploration runs, but in general will save you money at the expense of a little time. Just remember KGB FOAM, this is an anagram of scoopable stars. But be careful; get too close and you will burn!

5.) Don't scan asteroids. They are worthless for data selling and almost as worthless for mining. My favorite place to mine is the rings of planet 4A in the Frey system. Dont go into a Resource Extraction Site to mine unless you have a Wing to defend you. Fly into the rings themselves. Before mining you'll need at least one mining laser and a refinery. A couple other items I would highly advise are a collector limpet and a prospector llimpet,and of course limpet "ammo." The prospector limpet will tell you what kind of metal/mineral the asteroid contains and the collector limpet will pick up and deposit the chunks of the asteroid you cut off in your cargo to refine; it's much faster than manually scooping up every chunk. The only asteroids I went after contained either: Painite, Platinum, Gold, Palladium, Osmium or Silver.

6.) CQC, Elite's Multiplayer mode. Form or join a group. There aren't as many sessions on TA as there used to be, but there are still some. It takes 6 to start a game, 8 to lock a lobby.

7.) Don't pledge to a power until you're ready. There are benefits to pledging to a power, but they take a while to earn and pledging to a power makes enemies.
Chris1984uk
Chris1984uk
Posted on 09 December 17 at 00:07
It's definitely suited to something more Wiki style than a TA walkthrough. There's a lot of different ways to attacking this game and writing a blind walkthrough isnt one of them.

This isnt a AAA straight forward story walkthrough, this is one of (if not the biggest) in depth Open World games to date.

Sorry mate, this needs a lot more than one person contributing.
CodeMonkeysGuy
Posted on 10 December 17 at 01:00
General tips is always going to be the better route. What the game wants and needs from general pilot progression will always vary by update set. Ship tips before engineering are going to be drastically different from ship tips after engineering. And giving tips on engineering now are going to be outdated when they re-visit engineering during the Beyond updates in 2018. You'd have to constantly be on top of even just general tips.

And a lot of it is going to come down to preference. Do you like mining? Are you a PVPer? Do you stick to CGs? Do you powerplay? Maybe you like exploring. Maybe you trade rares. Maybe you bounty hunt. And maybe you keep up with the subreddit and pounce on every money making method, concerning yourself only with the end-game of cold hard credits. And what are you doing your moneymaker of choice in? A suicidewinder? Did you aim straight for the Anaconda? Did you settle for a Python? Are you in a Vulture? And with what builds? What engineering? No accounting for preference, after all.

This is really the sort of game where you take your first few hundred hours, just to figure out what grind profession suits you, and get your footing (so to speak). And you work from there. Watching updates, testing content as you find it and as it comes. It is for most intents and purposes an MMO, and it needs to be treated like one as a result.
I work on achievements. Life sanity tip: don't work on achievements.
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 11 December 17 at 15:09
Just wanted to hear thoughts. Should I include mining within the Trading page or give mining its own page to store all of that information?
Chris1984uk
Chris1984uk
Posted on 12 December 17 at 00:26
Judging by how massive the game is I'd give it it's separate page. Although I still believe you are massively underestimating how much of a game this is to tackle a walkthrough.

This is not a Triple AAA story walkthrough.
Current Future
Posted on 12 December 17 at 05:46
I applaud the idea of someone trying to write a walkthrough, but to be blunt, your time would probably be better served writing a novel.

According a link that can be found on this forum*: For those seeking a manual!

The manual for this game, which includes updates 2.1 and 2,2, is 210 pages. That's only half the updates. I don't think the manual for The Campaign for North Africa, the world's longest board game, is that big. Link below, for no other reason than I like this article:

https://kotaku.com/the-notorious-board-game-that-takes-1500-...

But, ClownTastic, if you still decide this is something you have to do, I wish you the best.

* I know I just could've posted the link to the manual itself, but I in no way want to appear to be taking credit for what had to be a painstaking work.
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 12 December 17 at 06:27
Honestly I don't think it's going to be all that difficult for most of it as the explanation for how do to something is much shorter than the practice of actually doing it. I've already finished the page dedicated to all the trading achievements.
Dimmock
Dimmock
Posted on 12 December 17 at 09:33
Jesus wept mate, you have taken a project and a half on here.

If you decide to go for a high end faction ship be prepared to grind for months and months now they patched it.
SSCP - Dimmock is a lot like Veal, an acquired taste. || Zus rocks!
Chris1984uk
Chris1984uk
Posted on 12 December 17 at 10:46
ClownTastic said:
Honestly I don't think it's going to be all that difficult for most of it as the explanation for how do to something is much shorter than the practice of actually doing it. I've already finished the page dedicated to all the trading achievements.
Already? Then I'm definitely going to say it's not going to be enough. A game you've played first most a week...
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 12 December 17 at 11:14
I can have you added as an editor and you can take a look if you want.
CodeMonkeysGuy
Posted on 13 December 17 at 10:16
You'd have to elucidate exactly what "finished the page dedicated to all the trading achievements" entails. I have an achievement guide up for Triple Elite that simply postulates the fastest ways to get the three Elites. Not to most fun, not the most engaging, not the most profitable, but simply the fastest. Those are specific guidelines around specifically the fastest or proposed fastest methods, assuming at least a few hundred hours of general experience and given resources. But.... Trade is the one I have the least concrete methodology on, because Trade fluctuates like mad. Not to mention, there's numerous ways to raise trade rank to begin with. Lemme try and explain why I think a straight up guide is nearly impossible.

You could do rare goods loops, bulk passenger missions, simple trade loops, complex several-system trade loops, you could trade at CGs, trade to specific system states... the list goes on. So let's say you've picked one. So, now what ships are you using? Do you have Horizons? Consequentially, what station size or type do you engage with? Is it worth it for this method to bother engineering? Can you make a setup that can survive first contact with the variability of the background sim constantly changing supply and demand, as well as system state? Are you in Open or Solo? Maybe a private group? So, would you need to protect yourself against players or NPCs? And do you need prior experience? Are you coming in as a fresh player with pennies to your name, or have you long since been doing other stuff? If you're new, what's the roadmap to Elite? When do you keep on and when do you trade up for more efficiency? If you're experienced, what's the fathomable budget? Is their a mid-tier or end-game variation to the general idea? Does it account for people who have access to the powerplay / superpower modules or ships? What about power play bonuses that possibly affect trade, like that of Edmund Mahon, are those worth it? Is speed or profit the goal? Speed usually requires prior profit, but higher profit usually correlates with speed to begin with since Trade rank requires not just Trades made, but Trade profit. Plus, the more extra profit you have, the more profit you can put towards other Elites or general goals.

Then to method, do you have estimated rates down enough under your belt to be able to compare it to other methods? Not just like "I tested one loop on one day and this is what I got" but like actual averages levied against the background sim and its quirks. Have people been informed of off-site tools that are near essential for trading, like EDDB or various Youtube channels of people who make trade reports weekly describing various profit-per-ton methods within the week? Are you accounting for various in-game trade changes coming in the Beyond updates? And of course, as I had mentioned in another post, there's always preference. The problem with ordering someone to use a specific everything in a game with variance, is just that. Like if I told you that out of the thousands of builds you could do in something like Path of Exile, or Dark Souls, or something like that, you have to use one and you best find it satisfying. That's limiting as all get-out in a game you're almost guaranteed to spend at least a thousand hours on to complete. You have to account for sanity in face of mind-numbing grinds.

It's not that I think you're full of crap, it's that I just don't see the feasibly creation of a guide for your galactic career. Granted, I haven't seen it, but to my thinking it's just going to be full of shortcuts and generalizations if not flat out wrong or inefficient information. The best way to play Elite: Dangerous is in my opinion strictly through experience. You need to feel out the galaxy. Get your bearing. You aren't going to know diddly about exploration if you trade. You aren't going to know how to fight if you're exploring. Yet for most of what you'd do in Elite: Dangerous, having an idea of how to do it all is the best way to succeed at any one goal. And honestly, each main Elite is going to be between a few and several hundred hours. Variance is definitely not unwanted.

Even general guidelines is a monumental task. An actual guide? Nonexistent, despite the game's age (4 or 5 years old now depending on version state and platform). And not without good reason. Constant changes, variance of method... you can't write guides for that. You can write guidelines (which even then require quite a bit of knowledge and constant updating), and if that's what you have, then more power to you, and most of my whinging is moot. But I cannot believe you have something resembling a comprehensive guide, if that's what you think you have.
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 13 December 17 at 11:24
I've had Dimmock added as an editor and have asked him to look it over to give me his 2 cents.

I'm incorporating Horizons stuff into the main walkthrough as pretty much everything crosses over at some point.

The point of the guide isn't to be comprehensive about every little possible thing a person COULD do to get to elite for each career path but more of a streamlined step by step method to get there as efficiently as possible.

Yes I am aware of eddb and other third party sources and I do reference them a bit.

This isn't my first time writing a walkthrough for a large game (though admittedly not on this scale) and I believe I am capable of creating something that will be useful for anybody. I go into each career path as if the reader were just starting out in their Sidewinder from the beginning of the game.
Chris1984uk
Chris1984uk
Posted on 13 December 17 at 14:59
There are large games and then there's elite dangerous.

The wall of text above is exactly what I meant with not nearly enough detail. It's a huge game and this bears no judgement against you because your dark souls walkthroughs are amazing. This is just a massive undertaking
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 13 December 17 at 15:02
Have a bit of faith bud
CodeMonkeysGuy
Posted on 13 December 17 at 15:08
Well, I wish you luck. Hopefully it turns out alright. I'll be sure to give it a read once it's live.

I just whinge because I know that this game and efficiency don't really mix, and that guides are hard for this with stuff constantly changing, but it could be my standards are too high. Though I've never been much of a walkthrough user anyways, so I suppose I'm not the target audience anyways.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.