Genre Discussion: SOMA

A messageboard for all things genres

SOMA Multi-Genre Discussion

Related game: SOMA

• Information
    Posted on 15 December 17 at 16:47
    Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
  • Information
    Posted on 15 December 17 at 17:01
    Dresden N7 has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
    I recommend adding the "Adventure" genre to the already present "Survival Horror."

There game basically has two parts: stealth sections where you have to avoid or run from monsters AND traversing from point A to point B in a story-drive narrative with many obstacles taking the form of puzzles. The latter definitely falls under TA's definition of the "Adventure" genre.
  • Dresden N7Dresden N7556,663
    Posted on 15 December 17 at 17:03
    Apologies for the typos!
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm653,134
    Posted on 16 December 17 at 16:11
    We'll take a look at it. The voting just closed yesterday. Currently, we have 3 votes for survival horror and two for adventure. I was expecting some stealth votes but there were zero.
    Posted on 17 December 17 at 22:39
    I'm not sure if there's enough Stealth encounters for that genre tag. Maybe... but at the very least, Survival Horror and Adventure would be my recommendation.
  • Zonrith1Zonrith1671,264
    Posted on 27 December 17 at 18:19
    The genre team has decided to add Action-Adventure. The game has some precision/dex elements, more than just a minute amount, so Adventure was deemed inaccurate alone, but A-A captures those adventuring elements while respecting that some reaction speed is needed to get through the game.
    Posted on 27 December 17 at 21:53
    Works for me. toast
  • Information
    Posted on 22 June 18 at 00:07
    Sashamorning has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
    After reading the above posts, it looks like Survival Horror was already present, and Action-Adventure was supposed to be added.

However, right now only Adventure is listed.

Don't know if this was an oversight, but I'm really thinking Survival Horror needs to be readded at the very least.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 22 June 18 at 14:57
    Hey Sasha, I noticed both of your disagreements. We revised the Survival Horror definition so that it now requires combat and resource management to be included in the genre. We did agree that Action-Adventure is a better fit though, so that'll be added in
  • SashamorningSashamorning2,930,857
    Posted on 22 June 18 at 18:19
    Ok, gotcha. It doesn't really read like that in the descriptions. I got the impression that combat can be avoided. That being said, does "combat" imply that you can actually win a combat? You can definitely be attacked and die. But yeah, definitely no resource management here.

I kinda wish there was some sort of overall Horror classification. I didn't really know how much of a horror element this had to it. It's freaking me the **** out at the moment. Stupid achievements, compelling me to finish what's such an easy game...
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • Information
    Posted on 09 January 21 at 21:18
    Purds has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
    Soma is definitely a survival horror title, and is quite frankly a disservice to the title for it not to be called a horror title.
    The websites description nearly perfectly describes this game.
    "We define Survival Horror games using the genre definition: Survival Horror games see the player placed into a horror-themed environment usually with graphic violence and/or a frightening atmosphere. While enemies can usually be confronted with combat the player is given limited assets such as ammunition, health or the ability to heal, speed and vision. Progress is usually stalled through the use of locked paths and/or puzzles that need to be solved or have specific items collected before being allowed to continue."
    All of this is true except you could argue that not being able to fight back kind of goes against the sites description, but not entirely. But even if that were a reason to not title this a horror game, it makes no sense. Considering games like amnesia, outlast and outlast 2 are all games of nearly the exact same setting and are all classified survival horrors' on this website.
  • KasugaSamaKasugaSama124,842
    Posted on 10 January 21 at 21:22
    Like it has been said previously in the thread, there's a difference between outlast/amnesia and soma. Albeit a small difference and SOMA teeters on the edge, it's not quite in the Survival Horror bubble.

The reason the Outlasts and Amnesia are horror titles is because they have at least some kind of resource management element to them. Tinderboxes, bandages, batteries, etc.

SOMA does have a few light puzzles throughout the game, but nothing else. It is just outside the bubble of what we consider to be Survival Horror
    Genre Manager for TA.
  • PurdsPurds1,411,666
    Posted on 10 January 21 at 22:37
    Ok I agree with the decision that its not a survival game in the sense that you don't have to craft or manage light sources. But the site description says "the player is given limited assets such as ammunition, health or the ability to heal, speed and vision." All of which are things the player needs to manage with the exception being ammunition. But I do agree the management is nigh non-existent. The description just seems misleading to me. Maybe I'm just ignorant of the genre and its over all meaning.

It seems strange to have no mention of horror in the genre of this game, considering it is foremost a horror game. I agree with Sashamorning, that there should be an overall horror genre.
    Its goofy to me that this and Lego games have the same genre tag. When players who play both are going to have completely different nearly polarizing experiences.

Also sorry if any of this seems standoffish, I'm not trying to be rude.
  • EletrustEletrust347,180
    Posted on 17 March 23 at 16:37
    Chiming in that there should be a general horror tag and not just survival horror.
  • Information
    Posted on 28 September 23 at 17:24
    RumbleFish10 has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
    After playing this recently, on Normal Mode, I felt the need to revisit this discussion. I was hoping this game would fall under one of the horror genres, but sadly, I don't think there is enough there to fit into either. However, I will say that Action-Adventure is also misleading and should be changed.

This is a great atmospheric sci-fi horror title. In terms of gameplay I would put this under Adventure based on traversing from area to area, exploration, gathering information and solving some puzzles along the way. There is hardly any action to call out in this game. Sort of similar to Blair Witch, Layers of Fear, The Medium, etc...

The other side of it are the enemy encounters, which are entirely Stealth. While not as frequent as the Adventure sections, hence why I can't back Survival Horror, this is the other game mechanic you have to use. There is no bypassing the stealth and you can't fight the monsters by any means. The distorted screen when you're too close to the enemies hinders you quite a bit during these sections. You have to crouch around quietly and strategically avoid danger, or else you will die. That's where you sort of get the Outlast/Alien feeling in those situations.

My suggestion would be Adventure + Stealth. Remove Action-Adventure.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads