Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

The Best Reviewed Games on TrueAchievements in 2017 - Part Two

AuthorMessage
RAVENxSPEEDSTER
Posted on 16 December 17 at 20:07
DucKy BaBy said:
There should be a score for 'contribution to growth of industry and genre.'
And definitely a micro-transaction usage score - because these games would not score so highly with these parameters.
I completely agree with that statement.
I PLAY TO HAVE FUN!!!! I do tend to play solo most of the time but always willing to play with others if they have time for that of course. TA ROCKS!!
Alahert
Alahert
Posted on 16 December 17 at 20:30
Some really great games came out this year!
DARK 777
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 16 December 17 at 21:03
Considering Destiny 2 came out not long ago, the review should be changed with a huge negative being that they took part of the base game out and resold it. Stay away from Activision!
SquidCzy
SquidCzy
Posted on 16 December 17 at 23:43
LuckyConquerer2 said:
Then there are the loot boxes, which aren't strictly necessary but will undoubtedly create a need to grind if you don't purchase them.
Still not true about Shadow of Mordor. GOTY for me.
Have to agree with Lucky here. The loot boxes in SoW are a non issue. GOTY for me by a looong shot.
Smallville2106
Posted on 17 December 17 at 01:51
I’ve only played Forza Motorsport 7 from that list. Absolutely loving it. Have Assassin’s Creed Origins ready to play though. Will have a look out for some of the others.
XenomorphFiend
Posted on 17 December 17 at 02:32, Edited on 17 December 17 at 02:33 by XenomorphFiend
NawtyCawty said:
BanjoRebel said:
Yarp, ratings are insignificant. The actual review itself is what matters, and everyone is free to interpret that as they see fit. As stated above, Project CARS is a fine example, arguably & subjectively the best racing game you can play on Xbox - after the major glitches were patched it was a realistic driving journey. I'm still befuddled by how many people don't understand this.

Also, suck it Forza Motorsport 7 - it's simply a digital car collection, not a racing game.
If they are that insignificant how do you explain that to date there are 10 times as many players of Forza 7 on here than Project Cars 2. Oh I know why, because Project Cars sucks, and most people know it does.
One is AAA, one is not. Ratings have nothing to do with sales figures, and it's been quite obvious the Xbox community is spiteful against sims & automatically label them as bad when they simply don't understand them. Popular opinion does NOT mean something is better.
Streets Ahead
Vok 250
Vok 250
Posted on 17 December 17 at 02:41
The list of questionable at best. Maybe it's just the state of the industry, or maybe this site is taking promotional $$$, but most of these games are insulting to have on any list called "Best Reviewed Games".

It's honestly making me reconsider getting premium in the new year. :/
Juicyjams
Juicyjams
Posted on 17 December 17 at 02:50
The only one up there I have played so far is Battlechasers. I'm a fan of old school turn based fighting rpg's and I've never played one done better or more beautifully. It could be a very very long grind for someone who doesn't appreciate this type of game, however, I was a comic book fan of the same title and just love whats been done here. I will most likely play most these other titles especially the assassin's game as t.a. is definitely not the only one holding this game with high regards.
Until I Collapse
iTz Canada Ehh
Posted on 17 December 17 at 02:53
LuckyConquerer2 said:
RE: Mafia III - that game still had the same unacceptable bugs and glitches from the Day 1 release present in the third DLC.

But I do understand where you guys are coming from and I tend to agree. It was merely an observation. One personal example is AC Unity. Heavily slated on release but by the time I got around to it, it was pretty much glitch free.
Maybe it's because I started it in like July but I had zero issues, even when the third DLC came out. Regardless it's not even comparable to how bad it was when it came out.
Jaucoholic
262,440 262,440 GamerScore
Jaucoholic
Posted on 17 December 17 at 05:31, Edited on 17 December 17 at 05:32 by Jaucoholic
South Park definitely deserves its score. Destiny 2 doesn't. Probably the blandest sci-fi game I've ever played.
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 17 December 17 at 14:03
iTz Canada Ehh said:
LuckyConquerer2 said:
RE: Mafia III - that game still had the same unacceptable bugs and glitches from the Day 1 release present in the third DLC.

But I do understand where you guys are coming from and I tend to agree. It was merely an observation. One personal example is AC Unity. Heavily slated on release but by the time I got around to it, it was pretty much glitch free.
Maybe it's because I started it in like July but I had zero issues, even when the third DLC came out. Regardless it's not even comparable to how bad it was when it came out.
Agree. The bug that annoys me is the environment rendering. Dozens of times, grass renders around me, way after I have arrived at my destination. It was Hanger 13's first game and I was impressed.
Crooked Cracker
Posted on 17 December 17 at 23:31
GREGO McGEE said:
How in god's name is PREY not on here...
Agreed, it's the most innovative game this year, no doubt.
Phl0am
Phl0am
Posted on 18 December 17 at 03:09
I love TA and I’m absolutely addicted to FIFA but to include it in the best reviewed games is hilarious. I’ve played FIFA since 1994. This years instalment is the worst yet. I only play Pro Clubs and I’m seeing 99 rated players who are cheating. 4.5? Don’t make me laugh TA... It’s 2.5 at best.
Parkman Rules
Parkman Rules
Posted on 18 December 17 at 03:11
Prey should be on that list. The best game I played this year by a mile!!
FierceMonkeyMan
Posted on 18 December 17 at 05:56
So between the two lists the only game to get a full 5 this year is SP The Fractured But.....interesting, may have to pick that up.

I see a ton of disagreement in the comments with some choices on the compiled list. I think people need to understand that TA is very community driven. This has been said many many times before. It's community driven from those who interact with the site as well as anyone who works on it or contributes to it. When it comes to reviews, from what I understand, there is a ton of freedom on the part of the reviewer in gauging as to how they feel about the game. Other gaming sites that are less community driven may have stricter standards as to what would constitute a 4 vs a 5 star rating say but I think from this complied list you can at least get a good idea that most, if not all are at the higher spectrum of something that would be worth at least checking out and most also aren't too far from what others outside of TA think of the game as well.

Essentially every review whether it be for games, movies, books, whatever, is nothing more than a buyer's guide and whether or not you should be opening your wallets to join in on picking whatever it is up. I mean why else would we ever care what some stranger would feel about a product if we weren't interested in purchasing that product? If you look at any review in those terms, you're a lot more likely to appreciate them because ultimately the decision to buy something lies with the purchaser, not any given reviewer.
Beanpotter
Beanpotter
Posted on 18 December 17 at 12:05
So many salty replies!

I think a few people have misunderstood the thread title; these are the reviews that scored the highest in 2017. That doesn't mean that they still hold up to that score, several months down the line.

Prey did get a favourable review of 4/5: - Prey Review

Again, (roll), there's no money or bribing going on but I know I'm beating my dead horse with a can of worms telling you that one, as the flat-earthers will never believe me!

Also, please respect the reviewer's opinions. Insulting them or accusing them of behaving unscrupulously is rude and just makes you look stupid.

Thanks.
Mame Tobikomi!
Musikfreak007
Musikfreak007
Posted on 19 December 17 at 05:01
I'll play Wolfenstein II and the new South Park at some point. Maybe AC:O and "Aer" years down the road.
DaBlackAlbino
DaBlackAlbino
Posted on 19 December 17 at 15:54, Edited on 19 December 17 at 15:56 by DaBlackAlbino
Assassin's Creed Origins is effectively an RPG with a full blown level up and quest system with loot. Best AC I've ever played and I got Assassin's Creed 1 on launch for the 360 back in 2007. Beautiful graphics. My personal GOTY. I'm a sucker for JRPGs and didn't know about Battle Chasers, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 19 December 17 at 16:23
Beanpotter said:
Again, (roll), there's no money or bribing going on but I know I'm beating my dead horse with a can of worms telling you that one, as the flat-earthers will never believe me!

Also, please respect the reviewer's opinions. Insulting them or accusing them of behaving unscrupulously is rude and just makes you look stupid.

Thanks.
Thanks Bean. The argument of "I didn't like this game, so this review (and every review on this site, while I'm at it) must be bought" is beyond sad.

TA reviews (and every aspect of this community-driven site) are the opposite of "bought"; they're volunteers putting in hard work and time only to have to read through disheartening comments like these.

Also, if you need further proof, take a gander at the full review list where, bad scores are given all the time laugh
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 19 December 17 at 17:56
Beanpotter said:

Thanks.
I can't think of a badly written TA review. That doesn't necessarily mean I agree with all the reviewers' opinions or like the games they review. Nevertheless, their views are well presented even those where I hold an opposing view.

My score for TA reviewers. 5/5
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.