Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Nine Things I Learned from TA Playlist in 2017

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 17 December 17 at 10:34
Reviewing the first year of lessons

Please click here to read the story: Nine Things I Learned from TA Playlist in 2017
DownInFlames85
Posted on 17 December 17 at 10:51
I like how this brought the community together with mostly positive results. While I did only comment during the August event, I regularly checked in on the conversations each month. Looking forward to another successful year of TA Playlist!

Happy Holidays everyone as well toast
Someday we will foresee obstacles, through the blizzard...
Smallville2106
Posted on 17 December 17 at 11:22
Looking forward to be part of this in the coming year.
[URL=https://www.trueachievements.com/gamer/Smallville2106][IMG]https://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/Smallville2106.png[/IMG][/URL]
ll HYS7ERIA ll
Posted on 17 December 17 at 11:33
Alien Isolation is a great game, I played it on the PS4 and the speaker on the PS4 controller made the experience more immersive.
Jolly cooperation!

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 17 December 17 at 11:32
The only thing I agree with you there is Alan Wake; I don't want any more, sometimes it's best to just leave perfection as it is.

Darksiders however I found every single thing about it utterly satisfying and the gameplay, much to my surprise was thoroughly enjoyable. I normally do not like any type of hack 'n' slash, but with Darksiders they just did everything right.

The TA playlist is a great concept; no fuss, no heavy competition, just gamers getting together and doing we do best. Hoping for Hitman next month- it would be perfect for me. smile
Cylon 118
Cylon 118
Posted on 17 December 17 at 11:33
I really have loved every game this month in different ways including Mays Darksiders of which I think the second one is a vast improvement and hope its in the list somewhere down the line but my favourite game this year was probably Mordor or Wake as both of these where first time plays for me that where experiences that I would not have had I think if not for the playlist.

My October was the second time through Alien and I'm so glad as I picked up all the achievements I missed the first time round and really got into the terror as I was going for no deaths so even though I was on an easier difficulty than my first playthrough it was by far more tense and took me way longer!

Speaking of long games our current Assassins game took me nearly 80 hours to finish and although I did have fun especially with the changed combat I have to agree that at points it really felt like a checklist slog so much so that I was watching other things on youtube while finishing off the map.

The combat though was a fun if not watered down version of Dark Souls a game that won and left me thinking yay I enjoy this but can I really get all the achievements. As it turns out I could and think of the 100% complete cheevo on that game as one of my proudest. Didn't stop there either as the same month I went of to finish the second one as well. Not 100% yet but just beating the far longer and for me harder sequel felt great and I really want to do the third at some point.

Didn't really get any invaders during my games but got my multiplayer fix during overdrive month and really liked finishing that game off with people from the community. It took us a while to get the DLC survivals finished but I think for the most part we had a blast doing it and I hope some more games in 2018 have some coop in them.

As for puzzles ive always been a big fan and Turing test although a little easy made up for it with a thought provoking story but falls into second place for making me think about deep sci fi themes to Life is Strange as its use and the consequences of time travel spoke to me much more than its teenage problems!

This playlist has really got me back into console gaming something I think I was beginning to grow out of as I no longer had a tonne of friends who I could play and discuss games with and that was taking the fun out of them for me but this playlist ticks all the boxes and I cant wait for 12 more is 2018 that are as good as the ones we have had this year. (Come on Alice I want you to win!)
TheLunchSociety
Posted on 17 December 17 at 12:37
A really excellent and insightful article - I certainly didn't agree with everything said but its still inherently interesting to read other people's thoughts on any subject even when they are at odds with your own. I have very much enjoyed TA Playlist and find the games fall into 3 categories:
i) Games that I have played where I want to know whether other people agree with my thoughts
ii) Games that I would like to play but lack either time or money where I want to know whether I need to find the time and/or money to play them
iii) Games that I have no interest in playing at all where I want to know what I'm missing.
Overall, the series has been excellent and I look forward to its continuation next year!
Arron114
Arron114
Posted on 17 December 17 at 12:40
Excellent Sunday read.

Thank you.
iTz Canada Ehh
Posted on 17 December 17 at 12:43
I couldn't agree with you more about being so uninterested in Darksiders, kind of wish I didn't even start it, even if it was free...

I purchased Sunset Overdrive when it first came out and honestly thanks to the playlist I was able to complete the last achievement in the DLC, but just like your Alan Wake comment, I'd rather them just kill off the series and leave me with the good memories than ruin it with a shitty sequel.

I played Life is Strange after the TA playlist for it ended and loved it, as I feel a lot of younger people can relate to it one way or another.

The Turing Test is the closest to Portal I think we will ever come for a while, although I wish I waited for it to be GWG before purchasing it but no regrets.

And I cannot wait to play Origins after Christmas.
Hollywood Tony
Posted on 17 December 17 at 13:01
The Turing Test is a very boring version of portal. I really dislike this game
Hollywood Tony Yeah
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 17 December 17 at 15:05
I’m a big fan of the playlist I’ve enjoyed every month. Every month is different and it’s fun seeing someone else’s perspective. Even in the month of Dark Souls, a game I truly regret ever putting on my tag, there was a lot of good discussion so in a glass half full kind of way it was still worth it. Highly encourage everyone to check it out.
SubtleEel4
SubtleEel4
Posted on 17 December 17 at 15:35
I really appreciate the thoughts on Assassin's Creed Origins, that's pretty much how I've felt playing any of them.
Einigkeit
Einigkeit
Posted on 17 December 17 at 16:26
Glad to see I'm not the only one who is tired of open-world games. A lot of times, making a game open-world seems to be a design choice in order to add length to a game; if it's open-world, you can add tons of pointless little icons to the map that many people (myself included) feel compelled to clear. I haven't played Origins yet, but from what I've seen from watching a friend play for a while, it doesn't seem like it will scratch any itch that I have currently, which is a shame, since I used to be a big fan of AC (pre-AC3).

That said, some games do deserve the open-world treatment, but I think it needs to be one of the core gameplay elements, not something that's added later. The last three Elder Scrolls games are great examples of this, and Breath of the Wild might just be the best open-world game that I've ever played.
Kennyannydenny
Posted on 17 December 17 at 17:29, Edited on 17 December 17 at 17:29 by Kennyannydenny
Great read! Seems our opinions differ quite a bit but still a great article smile I loved Darksiders, really found both of them enjoyable games with good storylines and settings.

I did not enjoy Life is Strange at all. I really don't get what the fuss is about, it just feels like another one of the many Telltale Games (and yes I know LiS is not Telltale), but with more freely walking around parts.

Can't say anything about Alan Wake as I was never drawn into that game. Neither about Sunset Overdrive as I haven't played it yet. Although trailers etc didn't appeal to me. I do loved Shadow of War very much. I love sandbox games, including the complete AC series, and play a lot of them.

I am sure I won't Dark Souls or Alien Isolation, as I don't like horror games and I'm not looking forward to getting frustrated by Dark Souls.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 17 December 17 at 18:15
I have played Darksiders and it was great. Can't wait for III.

Shadow of Mordor is a great game and the sequel is even better. Some great story moments in War.

Dark Souls was played ages ago and I actually hate the game, the characters, the world, everything.

The only game I actually played during playlist was LiS and that was awful for me. Technically played SoM by getting one achievement as well.

As long as Hitman does not win next month, I think I will be playing the playlist game.
This post may be sarcastic.
Iceman2pnt0
Iceman2pnt0
Posted on 17 December 17 at 18:21
The playlist has been a great idea. I'm glad to see a fellow fan of Alan Wake. Never give up hope for a sequel! We need more games that have that great sense of atmosphere.

And speaking of atmosphere...Alien Isolation...wow. I played about 4 hours of the story, took a small break, and then recently got a high end gaming headset. The sound design in that game is legendary, and playing it with a headset elevates it to an experience. I can only imagine a future sequel with 2nd or 3rd generation VR tech shock.
Finally gaming on the One.
A Dreadful Shot
Posted on 17 December 17 at 18:32
Excited for the upcoming year’s Playlist games, going to be participating in as many as I can (trying to stay Xbox 360 exclusive). I try to have a wide variety in genre, be open-minded and thoroughly enjoy playing new games I’ve never touched before.
iTz Canada Ehh
Posted on 17 December 17 at 18:44
Einigkeit said:
Glad to see I'm not the only one who is tired of open-world games. A lot of times, making a game open-world seems to be a design choice in order to add length to a game; if it's open-world, you can add tons of pointless little icons to the map that many people (myself included) feel compelled to clear. I haven't played Origins yet, but from what I've seen from watching a friend play for a while, it doesn't seem like it will scratch any itch that I have currently, which is a shame, since I used to be a big fan of AC (pre-AC3).

That said, some games do deserve the open-world treatment, but I think it needs to be one of the core gameplay elements, not something that's added later. The last three Elder Scrolls games are great examples of this, and Breath of the Wild might just be the best open-world game that I've ever played.
I personally think that making a game open world has the intent of adding a level of immersion for the user. Its effectiveness, however, is up to the developer.
erod550
erod550
Posted on 17 December 17 at 19:30, Edited on 17 December 17 at 19:31 by erod550
I don’t think we could be any more different. The two games you hated the most, Darksiders and AC Origins, are the two games I enjoyed the most of all the TA Playlist games. I even went and completed the remaster of Darksiders on Xbox One after the playlist month was over.

Also story is something I couldn’t care less about. I care much more about gameplay and will often skip cutscenes because I just don’t care. So yea, complete opposites, heh. But that’s why TA Playlist is good. There’s a good variety and something to appeal to everyone, even gamers with very different tastes.

I guess I should have included Sunset Overdrive as a game that I absolutely loved, but I loved it when it first came out and had already fully completed it before it came up as a TA Playlist game.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 17 December 17 at 19:32
erod550 said:
I don’t think we could be any more different. The two games you hated the most, Darksiders and AC Origins, are the two games I enjoyed the most of all the TA Playlist games. I even went and completed the remaster of Darksiders on Xbox One after the playlist month was over.

Also story is something I couldn’t care less about. I care much more about gameplay and will often skip cutscenes because I just don’t care. So yea, complete opposites, heh. But that’s why TA Playlist is good. There’s a good variety and something to appeal to everyone, even gamers with very different tastes.

I guess I should have included Sunset Overdrive as a game that I absolutely loved, but I loved it when it first came out and had already fully completed it before it came up as a TA Playlist game.
You skip cutscenes? Judas!
This post may be sarcastic.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.