Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Nine Things I Learned from TA Playlist in 2017

• Posted on 17 December 17 at 19:37
    Dark Souls is my favorite game of all time and I only found out because it was GwG. The setting, the difficulty (absolutely the most delicately balanced and fair game every), the way the entire world connects, the story that you have to discern for yourself. All of it came together to create an experience that is unequalled in gaming.
  • AzzyMahmoodAzzyMahmood385,570
    Posted on 17 December 17 at 20:13
    I love the concept of the TA Playlist, but all it's shown me is that the majority of TA has terrible taste in games (slash different to me...)

I only played The Turing Test, and only because it was GWG and had an excellent walkthrough, and hated the game itself.

Of the games played so far, the only one I'll play in future is AC: Origins, once I've finished AC: Syndicate. Other than that, I feel like I did at school - all the cool kids liking the popular games, and me wondering if there's something wrong with me laugh
  • Cr4zXCr4zX1,235,120
    Posted on 17 December 17 at 20:21
    That guy didn't play zelda: a link to the past
  • DeceptiveTenDeceptiveTen924,982
    Posted on 17 December 17 at 21:06
    I didn't play too many games in the playlist event this year. But next year i will as long as you don't have main titles I don't play new games because of the loot crates trying to stay away from games like that this coming Year
    deceptiveten
  • PinkyNarf69PinkyNarf69485,321
    Posted on 17 December 17 at 23:21
    I only got to enjoy one of the playlist games this last year. I hope that in the following year that the games that win the vote, will be playable on the 360 or be backwards compatible. I believe that at least 5 out of the 10 games were Xbox One only games and that leaves those of us with only 360s in the community out of participating.
  • Posted on 17 December 17 at 23:36
    PinkyNarf69 said:
    I only got to enjoy one of the playlist games this last year. I hope that in the following year that the games that win the vote, will be playable on the 360 or be backwards compatible. I believe that at least 5 out of the 10 games were Xbox One only games and that leaves those of us with only 360s in the community out of participating.
    6/9 playlist games were available exclusively on the 360 or had 360 versions available, and the next month has 3/4 options that are available for the 360. So I'd say the 360 is getting more than enough recognition.

You may not be able to actually get credit towards the TA Playlist badge on site by playing the 360 versions, but you're still able to talk about the game and participate in the forum discussions throughout the month, (unless all you care about is the badge, then that's a stupid point to bring up).
  • Dakrkplayer2Dakrkplayer2950,077
    Posted on 17 December 17 at 23:53
    PinkyNarf69 said:
    360 is much dead in eye of developer. Next year. Most likely there be no more new releases come to the 360. In XBOX Land it be only the one family will get games. And the one can be boughting at $200. With a game too boot. So either move on. Or have less chance take park in. It same with NINTENDO and SONY. All going to there newer console. And not there over a decade are console that can not run newer games at all.
    .XBOX 4 LIFE. https://www.change.org/petitions/to-tell-microsoft-to-make-self-published-live-able-games-on-windows-phone-and-windows-8-and-tell-deve
    Posted on 18 December 17 at 00:08, Edited on 18 December 17 at 00:16 by PinkyNarf69
    iTz Canada Ehh said:
    PinkyNarf69 said:
    6/9 playlist games were available exclusively on the 360 or had 360 versions available, and the next month has 3/4 options that are available for the 360. So I'd say the 360 is getting more than enough recognition.

You may not be able to actually get credit towards the TA Playlist badge on site by playing the 360 versions, but you're still able to talk about the game and participate in the forum discussions throughout the month, (unless all you care about is the badge, then that's a stupid point to bring up).
    I stand corrected on one game that I thought was an Xbox One only game.

Here are the facts:

Alan wake - 360 and backwards compatable
    Darksiders - 360 backwards compatable
    Sunset Overdrive - Xbox One only
    Middle Earth: Shadow of Moodor - 360 and Xbox One
    Life is strange - 360 and Xbox One
    Dark Souls - 360 only
    Alien Isolation - 360 and Xbox One
    Turing Test - Xbox One only
    Assassin's Creed Orgins - Xbox One only

6/9 can be played on the 360
    8/9 can be played on the Xbox One
    1/9 can only be played on the 360
    3/9 can only be played on the Xbox One

So if you have an Xbox One only, you could play 8/9 of the games while if you just had a 360, you could only play 6/9
    Posted on 18 December 17 at 00:15
    Dakrkplayer2 said:
    PinkyNarf69 said:
    360 is much dead in eye of developer. Next year. Most likely there be no more new releases come to the 360. In XBOX Land it be only the one family will get games. And the one can be boughting at $200. With a game too boot. So either move on. Or have less chance take park in. It same with NINTENDO and SONY. All going to there newer console. And not there over a decade are console that can not run newer games at all.
    I agree, the 360 is running out of life and so I will be jumping past the Xbox One to the Xbox One X shortly. So in a few years when games are comming out for only the One X console, Instead of trying to be a part of the community, I'll just tell you to "move on"
  • Posted on 18 December 17 at 00:26
    PinkyNarf69 said:
    iTz Canada Ehh said:
    PinkyNarf69 said:

Here are the facts:

Dark Souls - 360 only

So if you have an Xbox One only, you could play 8/9 of the games while if you just had a 360, you could only play 6/9
    Lol you said At LEAST 5/10 were Xbox One only, yet only 3/9 are so you saying you stand corrected on ONE game that you thought was xbox one only is wrong, so your math is not even close to being right in trying to defend your idiotic and self-centred logic. It's almost 2018 why the hell am I going to want to play games that came out on a past gen console? And more importantly why the hell is this site going to cater to a console that hasn't had a major release besides 2K in 2-3 years? Just like the person above me said, move on and grow up. Not everything is going to be catered to you nor should it be. The fact there are that many 360 games were apart of the TA playlist blows my mind yet you're still whining and crying about it.
  • Posted on 18 December 17 at 00:32
    I'm hoping more for Quantum Break 2 than Alan Wake 2. I haven't made it far into AW but he comes off as a bit of a jerk. Also him waxing on like he's Steven King just does nothing for me.

Darksiders, wow this game is boring. It just gets so old so quickly, and the puzzles are more tedious than natural and fun. With how dark and macho everything is portrayed, why does the main guy look so cartoony? The guy in the second game looks like a bigger joke as well.
  • Posted on 18 December 17 at 00:44
    PinkyNarf69 said:
    iTz Canada Ehh said:
    PinkyNarf69 said:

Here are the facts:

Dark Souls - 360 only

Dark Souls is backwards compatible.
  • Posted on 18 December 17 at 00:51
    Dakrkplayer2 said:
    PinkyNarf69 said:
    Xbox 360 > Xbox One
  • Burnah BrosBurnah Bros300,990
    Posted on 18 December 17 at 02:15
    Whenever I have the TA Playlist game then I don't have time to play the TA Playlist. Whenever I do have time to play the TA Playlist then it's a game I don't have. Mainly this has been due to Leap Frog and UHH. During both of those the TA Playlist game was one that I had and wanted to play but there are only so many hours in the day. So it came down to should I abandon Leap Frog to play the TA Playlist and the same happened with UHH. But then once those were over it's been all games I don't own. I guess I just wasn't meant to be a part of TA Playlist.
    Burnah Bros
  • Posted on 18 December 17 at 02:17
    I've really enjoyed taking part in TA Playlist and seeing everything it has to offer, even if I did skip most of the months (mostly because I'd already completed the games that were voted in those months, the only exception being AC: Origins). There's a lot of potential for this program moving forward and I'm looking forward to seeing what games are selected in 2018! Bring on the New Year!
  • Posted on 18 December 17 at 04:11
    I've learned that plenty of people out there have what I would consider bad taste in games. More importantly, however, I've come to realize that, that's okay. haha :)
  • LavindatharLavindathar1,783,393
    Posted on 18 December 17 at 09:06
    Great read. I've played every game on the list so far and enjoyed them all, even Darksiders. Although, you played it years and years after release. I just did the remaster, and it was much better at release on the 360.

From this list, which was your favourite game? Its hard to tell.
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,236,478
    Posted on 18 December 17 at 10:52, Edited on 18 December 17 at 10:57 by Legohead 1977
    I enjoy the concept of the playlist, hopefully I will have time to playthrough a game as it is voted to the playlist.

Most of the games this year have been games I have already finished with only two of them being too expensive for me, hopefully it will lean more towards 'hidden gem' discovery rather than playing the latest stuff.

Not sure which game from the list I liked most, but I'm pretty sure Life is Strange is my least favourite, it's a telltale game where you have to go out of your way to get the achievements...irritating! (More likely to appeal to a lover of strong narrative, which just isn't me).

Alan Wake was a great game, considering I don't like hack n slash I thoroughly enjoyed Darksiders, Sunset Overdrive was very enjoyable, but the missions were a bit long in places, Dark Souls is okay, Turing Test is a nice little puzzler, maybe the story will pique my interest as we get to the end, the one that was new to me and seems like a great game is Shadows of Mordor. Unfortunately the prices of Alien and AC:O meant I wasn't going to play them...despite being a massive fan of Aliens.
    Legohead 1977
  • AnxsighetyAnxsighety1,468,868
    Posted on 18 December 17 at 12:28
    I really enjoy the Playlist concept, and I'll probably be more involved in the forums going forward. This is a very well written piece, btw. A few comments:

Alan Wake is a great game, but the collectables are a real drag and mostly hinder the experience even if you try and ignore them. I still haven't played the DLC, so maybe there's a spark left for me.

I had already played most everything else - I also find Darksiders forgettable, and love Sunset Overdrive. Dark Souls is my brothers obsession, so I've found a niche for it that I really enjoy. Shadow of Mordor is a great game, but I can't bring myself to play Shadow of War. I don't really want more of it after the SoM DLC, so idk. It'll probably just stay sealed on the shelf for now. Life is Strange is also great.

Turing Test is awful to me. Sure, the story is somewhat interesting, but the fact the puzzles really only change up once is grating. I enjoyed it at first and quickly grew to hate it and will only finish it to never have to play it again.

AC: Origins is so much fun, but they dropped the ball on the main character. Sometimes it feels like they think the setting can make up for the story or likability, and it doesn't. Bayek is not interesting whatsoever, but I will stick with it in hopes he becomes so.

Thanks for this!
  • VygerVyger259,906
    Posted on 18 December 17 at 13:13
    Great post!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.