Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Nine Things I Learned from TA Playlist in 2017

• DaMikeSCDaMikeSC1,270,687
    Posted on 18 December 17 at 14:18
    I frequently have a difficult in finding a game to really focus on. I think I will start using Playlists as an idea if I'm strapped for an idea.
  • Darth6unnerDarth6unner473,461
    Posted on 18 December 17 at 14:19
    "Games that are a mile long and an inch deep."

Great line - I am so stealing that as a variant for complaining about grinding :-D
    DarthGunner Sith Lord - The Dark Side
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant588,672
    Posted on 18 December 17 at 14:46
    xSRYANx said:
    Shadow of Mordor is a great game, but I can't bring myself to play Shadow of War. I don't really want more of it after the SoM DLC, so idk. It'll probably just stay sealed on the shelf for now.
    If you loved SoM. you will probably enjoy SoW even more. One of my favourite games ever.
    This post may be sarcastic.
  • Posted on 18 December 17 at 16:26
    I couldn't agree more with you about Life Is Strange. It's not a good story at all (and I try to tell people this), but I'm glad I experienced it.
  • LavindatharLavindathar1,783,496
    Posted on 18 December 17 at 16:29, Edited on 18 December 17 at 16:31 by Lavindathar
    My personal favourite on the list would have to be alien. Amazing game.

LuckyConquerer2 said:
    xSRYANx said:
    Shadow of Mordor is a great game, but I can't bring myself to play Shadow of War. I don't really want more of it after the SoM DLC, so idk. It'll probably just stay sealed on the shelf for now.
    If you loved SoM. you will probably enjoy SoW even more. One of my favourite games ever.
    Agreed sow is a much better game.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm433,902
    Posted on 18 December 17 at 16:46
    Great recap and looking forward to Twelve Things I Learned from TA Playlist in 2018.
  • Posted on 19 December 17 at 04:53
    While I don't share a love for the horror genre like you do, I enjoy reading your thoughts towards these games because overall I feel like we have many things in common. A love for story, but positive takeaways from enjoyable experiences like Sunset Overdrive, a love for sci-fi, wariness from open world games sans Rockstar and Far Cry, etc.
    I did not explicitly partake in the playlist games this year (I think I happened to be playing Life is Strange when it came up) because I am very content to play the games I want to play at the pace I want to play. However, I LOVE the opportunity for the community to come together and do things... as a community. There may be a day I feel like engaging with the TA folks as we play a game together and until that time comes I will continue to see how people are enjoying the events and reading the follow-ups the TA team is posting.
    Cheers and happy holidays! toast
  • AnxsighetyAnxsighety1,468,889
    Posted on 19 December 17 at 05:53
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    xSRYANx said:
    What if I loved Shadow of Mordor, but don't really want more of it? Shadow of War seems so similar that I don't even want to start it. I've read nothing - if you can convince me it's different enough, I'll move it up the backlog haha.
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant588,672
    Posted on 19 December 17 at 07:50
    xSRYANx said:
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    xSRYANx said:
    What if I loved Shadow of Mordor, but don't really want more of it? Shadow of War seems so similar that I don't even want to start it. I've read nothing - if you can convince me it's different enough, I'll move it up the backlog haha.
    It evolved into so much more. The nemesis system is far better, more personal and in depth. Fortresses are wonderful, the story missions are extremely memorable, unlike SoM. The online adds loads of fun and the new customisation of the skill tree and equipment is amazing. Bosses are actually challenging unlike the QTEs of SoM.

I gave it 5/5 and that is only the 9th game I have done that for.
  • GRAND NOBLEGRAND NOBLE400,626
    Posted on 19 December 17 at 20:32
    great read. toast
    Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce968,151
    Posted on 22 December 17 at 09:59
    Great roundup Mark. Playlist has been a really great addition to this already wonderful community. Looking forward to what next year brings.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm433,902
    Posted on 22 December 17 at 21:01
    ChewieOnIce said:
    Great roundup Mark. Playlist has been a really great addition to this already wonderful community. Looking forward to what next year brings.
    Hopefully, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen! wave
  • Posted on 22 December 17 at 21:33
    Allgorhythm said:
    ChewieOnIce said:
    Hopefully, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen! wave
    I'm worried you didn't see the January results. Either that or you're hoping we include it again later.
    Posted on 25 December 17 at 18:33, Edited on 25 December 17 at 18:35 by GRAND NOBLE
    Allgorhythm said:
    Great recap and looking forward to Twelve Things I Learned from TA Playlist in 2018.
    I second this!

The only thing I'm sad about with TA Playlist this year is that Outlast was not even given a chance to win or lose. But TA Playlist brought Dark Souls into my life, and for that, I'm grateful!
    Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
  • Posted on 09 January 18 at 20:26
    Years ago I remember Xbox trying to bring people together for MP games. It was back before the interface changes when the 360 still had those god-awful looking blades.

But the idea was sound: highlight a game to bring people and the MP scene back to life. Albeit shortly, people would have a chance to play with an influx of gamers.

Sort of like how Games for Gold brings in new life to old games.

I suggest highlighting old games with MP achievements to bring the MP aspect back to life and actually have people look for a game and find a lobby.

Would be fun to have people pick up old games just for the hell of playing alongside others who would like to work towards unlocking achievements that they haven't tried to get for years because of a dead online community.
    -Eder St Cool
    Posted on 10 January 18 at 00:03
    This is an amazing idea ^

... if it's a game you have, want to play, need MP achvs for.

Then again, I think the solution to that would be creating sessions.
  • Posted on 10 January 18 at 00:30
    Eder St Cool said:
    Years ago I remember Xbox trying to bring people together for MP games. It was back before the interface changes when the 360 still had those god-awful looking blades.

But the idea was sound: highlight a game to bring people and the MP scene back to life. Albeit shortly, people would have a chance to play with an influx of gamers.

Sort of like how Games for Gold brings in new life to old games.

I suggest highlighting old games with MP achievements to bring the MP aspect back to life and actually have people look for a game and find a lobby.

Would be fun to have people pick up old games just for the hell of playing alongside others who would like to work towards unlocking achievements that they haven't tried to get for years because of a dead online community.
    We haven't done multiplayer-only games because that's really not the focus of the event, but when games that come up do involve multiplayer that's something we'll look at. To date it's only happened twice, I think, with Dark Souls and Sunset Overdrive.
  • Dragonborn GearDragonborn Gear1,160,933
    Posted on 18 October 18 at 12:21, Edited on 18 October 18 at 12:24 by Dragonborn Gear
    PsychicChicken said:
    Dark Souls is my favorite game of all time and I only found out because it was GwG. The setting, the difficulty (absolutely the most delicately balanced and fair game every), the way the entire world connects, the story that you have to discern for yourself. All of it came together to create an experience that is unequalled in gaming.
    I can say the same thing. I avoided it for the longest time because I always thought it would be too hard, but it was actually quite easy (relatively). It was basically like any normal game but it only had one difficulty: hard. However, the hard difficulty is extremely fair if you know what you're doing or can learn/adapt quickly. I have played games way harder than this.

I turned out to love the series and 100% all three within two months, (and I played the second one on both consoles). I just wish I could have played the PC version of Dark Souls to play it again. I will have to get the remaster soon as an excuse to play it again.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.