Community News

News for and about the community. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

The TrueAchievements Game of the Year 2017

• Posted on 21 December 17 at 19:15
    Well, at least some of these matched my picks. I'm content with Origins winning, I enjoyed it quite a lot. I wish Prey was up there somewhere though.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle2,099,943
    Posted on 21 December 17 at 19:20
    GRAND NOBLE said:
    Best Games with Gold Game: Tales from the Borderlands
    wtfffffffffff

Outlast?
    Dark Souls?
    OxenFree?
    LOVRS?
    Dark Souls doesn't count as it was Games With Gold ages ago. Outlast is on the fringe because it was Games With Gold from mid-December 2016 to mid-January 2017.

But I think it simply won because it is such a funny game. Definitely one of the best Telltale efforts out there.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • Posted on 21 December 17 at 19:20
    If you ever needed to see evidence that it's been a bad year I present to you...
    Ah! Devil ether!
  • AlahertAlahert2,892,777
    Posted on 21 December 17 at 19:20
    Veru happy with the list, pretty similar to my choices!
    DARK 777
  • Posted on 21 December 17 at 19:25
    Destiny winning best shooter is as bad as cod ww2 winning best shooter.

Assassin’s creed hasn’t changed much at all since Assassin’s creed 2, and the one time it did have a meaningful change (Ships in Assassin’s creed IV) it was really good (They’ve been milking it ever since).
    It’s the staple Ubisoft open world game (I’m quite sick of massive open world games that feel lifeless and hollow. I miss linear single player experiences with good stories and good characters).

Mass effect is the Star Wars of gaming for me in that everyone else endlessly adores it and I’m indifferent to it, but I can see why people enjoy it.
    According to people who enjoy mass effect, andromeda is a big disappointment, filled with bugs, a poor story and bad characters.

Wolfenstein 2 was the best shooter of the year, but that’s not to say it was flawless. It was very short, lacked gun variety and enemy variety, story wasn’t all that great, had ham fisted pc messages etc.
    Despite all that it was still the best shooter of the year, because the competition it was up against was worse.

I can’t think of a clearly better action adventure game, but I’m sure there is one (probably a indie title).

South Park was the best RPG, which says a lot seeing how South Park Has it’s flaws, like requiring good knowledge of the show to fully appreciate it, or no really unique moments like the stick of truth, but it doesn’t do anything really badly like other rpgs. It’s just competently made, and that’s the best we can hope for from triple AAA gaming (with some exceptions).

Overall, I’d say this year was completely forgettable when it comes to gaming on XboX. People will look back at this year and think of battlegrounds and that’s it because nothing else fucking stood out.
    This generation as a whole has been quite shit. The last good year for gaming on XboX was 2012!! Every year since has been absolutely dreadful (2013), decent (2014), forgettable (2015), decent (2016), nearly nonexistent (2017).
    I’m speaking mainly in terms of exclusives btw.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 21 December 17 at 19:26
    laugh Such a bad year for games if that was the best that could be produced. 2017: the year of the sequel

Cuphead was a nice change but damn was the year full of the same garbage we've come to expect. Exact same gameplay and design decisions with a different name and skin.
    I'm always willing to help other players boost achievements even if I already have them. Just ask!
  • o DEEVIUS oo DEEVIUS o621,802
    Posted on 21 December 17 at 19:29
    NoHeroes94 said:
    I love this community so much, but for Origins to win GOTY is ludicrous. Its good, but it's not an amazing game.
    Not much competition though was there.

Only 5000 bothered to vote, that's like the UK having a general election and only the city of Hemsby actually voting laugh

No vehicular combat GOTY? I'm outraged! warning
  • I Argonaut II Argonaut I580,681
    Posted on 21 December 17 at 19:34
    No surprises really. I agree with other commenters on a few thing:

Prey should have won something.

Voting on a best game is just a popularity contest, not a true indication of the best game by a trusted critic. For a game to win in this format it has to sell well, people will only vote for games they have played.
  • DJB HustlinDJB Hustlin572,410
    Posted on 21 December 17 at 19:39
    I Argonaut I said:
    No surprises really. I agree with other commenters on a few thing:

Prey should have won something.

Voting on a best game is just a popularity contest, not a true indication of the best game by a trusted critic. For a game to win in this format it has to sell well, people will only vote for games they have played.
    Well I mean, persons shouldn't give their opinion on things that they have not played. It would be disingenuous which does still happen with "trusted critics". With more and more games coming out, it is virtually impossible for anyone to give a truly fair assessment as to what is the 'best' out of everything that comes out and have to rely a bit on what other persons who have experienced it say. Perfect demonstration of this is the Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts which I enjoy every year.

So for what the objective of this is which is what the TA community thinks, I believe that the format is perfect even if we can disagree with some of the winners
    I'm Awkward With Potential: Boss Major
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,902,872
    Posted on 21 December 17 at 19:44
    Well, I did my part. Voted for Turtle's Quest for GOTY but intentionally omitted Mass Effect Andromeda.

Hopefully I don't have the same experience with 2018's preorder (Kingdom Come: Deliverance). I'd like to feel justified in paying full freight for a game once in a while.
  • EurydaceEurydace652,644
    Posted on 21 December 17 at 19:57
    Path of Exile should have been on this list. It is a crime that it was not. It’s free and certainly the best game of the year.
  • CrestfallenSilkCrestfallenSilk1,674,194
    Posted on 21 December 17 at 19:57
    lol
    Microtransactions are EVIL!
  • BegFourMercyBegFourMercy1,258,714
    Posted on 21 December 17 at 20:00
    Eurydace said:
    Path of Exile should have been on this list. It is a crime that it was not. It’s free and certainly the best game of the year.
    The concept was good, but it was too laggy to even enjoy. I tried on different xbox's and wired and wireless. No other games I have played in years had that kind of problem. I would swing at an enemy, count to 2 and then it would hit. Then I would drop dead.
  • BlackxRyanBlackxRyan1,067,811
    Posted on 21 December 17 at 20:00, Edited on 21 December 17 at 20:03 by BlackxRyan
    This is more Popularity awards than GOTY awards.

Very few good games this year. I just loved South Park TFBW and enjoyed Mass Effect Andromeda.
  • iTz Canada EhhiTz Canada Ehh1,327,968
    Posted on 21 December 17 at 20:02
    Great choices, very excited to play AC: Origins now.

Although I'm surprised that Destiny 2 won best shooter considering every Destiny 2 thread I look in on this site is just people saying how shit of a game it is. Surprised CoD WW2 didn't get up there as it's one of the best instalments in the franchise in a while imo.
  • Posted on 21 December 17 at 20:10
    My opinions seem different than the masses on this.
    However, I will say that I'm one of those people that voted for Mass Effect Andromeda because I had a great time in that game, so that was where I matched up here.
  • HmizzzHmizzz612,381
    Posted on 21 December 17 at 20:14
    Halo Wars 2 yay !
    http://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/zRaijin.png
  • Posted on 21 December 17 at 20:17
    The games that most people have obviously wins since I don't think its based on % of the total amount of owners which it should be. But maybe a minimum requirement for how many people that needs the game.

So bad games will win!
  • G0DLY 5NiPeRG0DLY 5NiPeR554,925
    Posted on 21 December 17 at 20:22
    I'm a big survival horror fan and I didn't play a whole lot of 2017 releases, so I had Resident Evil 7 as my GOTY, with Outlast 2 and The Evil Within 2 in my top 5 as well. Outside of that genre, I found this year to be very underwhelming, with a couple of exceptions.
    "If today were the last day of your life, would you want to do what you are about to do today?" - Steve Jobs
  • Posted on 21 December 17 at 20:23, Edited on 21 December 17 at 20:28 by FightingMegaFoo
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    Assassin's Creed Origins? Destiny 2? Mass Effect: Andromeda? Oof.
    Agreed. If these are what's considered GOTY material, then I think that I'm justified in thinking 2017 was the shittiest year ever for Microsoft gaming.

While there were certainly some good games that came out this year, this is the first year ever that no great Xbox games were released.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads