Community News Forum

News for and about the community. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

The TrueAchievements Game of the Year 2017

AuthorMessage
The Globalizer
Posted on 26 December 17 at 18:44
Fooga said:
JohnnyInterfnk said:
Assassin's Creed Origins? Destiny 2? Mass Effect: Andromeda? Oof.
Everyday, more and more normies enter this site. Cuphead should of been GOTY.
Been like this since the first TA GOTY. The voting has always been all about quantity, not quality.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 26 December 17 at 22:17
The Globalizer said:
Fooga said:
JohnnyInterfnk said:
Been like this since the first TA GOTY. The voting has always been all about quantity, not quality.
Quantity of what?
beastman rules
Posted on 27 December 17 at 01:11
mass effect andromeda rpg of the year? Really?
i rule
ImJustYourDaddy
Posted on 27 December 17 at 07:32
InFamousAnthuny said:
ImJustYourDaddy said:
The fact that OXENFREE lost to Tales From the Borderlands and Slime Rancher for best GWG game makes me wanna puke
I hate to be that guy, but given the volatility of your comment I decided to check your games and it seems you only played the first episode of Borderlands and you didn't even touch Slime Rancher. Maybe you should see why people liked them so much instead of spazzing out.
I'm fine with both games.
Tales From the Borderlands was the only Telltale game in the style that currently write that i enjoyed at all (played through on another platform, but don't feel like sitting through it again).

Slime Rancher's a decent amount of fun (IMO, better than Tales From the Borderlands).

OXENFREE, on the other hand, is one of my favorite indie games ever released
~Ya boy Santino Hartford
IXI FalcoN
IXI FalcoN
Posted on 27 December 17 at 20:06
beastman rules said:
Fallout 4 beat out Witcher 3 in 2015. The greater gaming population lacks taste, TA is no exception. It's always down to the mainstream titles.

Congrats to Cuphead though, happy to see that win something.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 27 December 17 at 20:22, Edited on 27 December 17 at 20:26 by
^Fallout 4 was a massive disappointment. I love Fallout, but what the hell was that?!

Never got around to Witcher 3 yet, but 2 was exceptional.

Now we hold out for Fallout Online - the Wasteland Unlimited.
The Globalizer
Posted on 28 December 17 at 03:42
o DEEVIUS o said:
The Globalizer said:
Fooga said:
JohnnyInterfnk said:
Quantity of what?
Owners of games.
Rub3nMigu3l
Rub3nMigu3l
Posted on 28 December 17 at 08:23
Rivalor said:
Agree with most of these, but Mass Effect winning makes me wonder about legitimacy of the voting
What's the problem with mass effect Andromeda?
Is this your personal opinion or do you just say that because it has been roasted in media?
Rub3nMigu3l
Rub3nMigu3l
Posted on 28 December 17 at 08:25
beastman rules said:
Why not? Did you play it?

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 28 December 17 at 13:13, Edited on 28 December 17 at 13:19 by
The Globalizer said:
o DEEVIUS o said:
The Globalizer said:
Fooga said:
JohnnyInterfnk said:
Quantity of what?
Owners of games.
Well to be fair if people aren't going to pick a game up in the first place it's highly unlikely they'd vote it GOTY even if they did. A game like Cuphead for example (which actually has a hell of a lot of players considering (45k+)) while it may be innovative and interesting just doesn't compete with more sophisticated, mainstream games.
OppaErich
OppaErich
Posted on 28 December 17 at 17:38, Edited on 28 December 17 at 17:42 by OppaErich
o DEEVIUS o said:
Quantity of what?
Of the marketing budget.
Rhhe82 said:
Don’t know about other people, but I’ve been stuck on the fourth (or fifth, can’t remember) mission of Alien: Isolation not because it’s hard or bad, but because the game crashes so often that I get frustrated. Which is a pity, since I very much like the game.
PC ? I've played this on the One. The framerate took a break every now and then and some weapons were floating at human hip level but other than this it was fine. The end was disappointing though...
Dark Death 90
Dark Death 90
Posted on 28 December 17 at 20:04
JaysBetterThanU said:
Destiny 2 is filled with micro transactions, you literally have to pay for skins, PvP is the same as the first game which is honestly boring to any old players and get boring fast for new players. ME: Andromeda, although I enjoyed some of it, it was the most disappointing game I've ever played thanks to the drama during its development. Middle_Earth: Shadow of War, another title that requires you to spend $$$$ on micro-transactions if you don't want to grind 100+ hours for the "true" ending, fucking pathetic.
I agree with you there. Shadow of War in particular disgust me. That fact that people actually defend these manipulative, greedy, disgusting practices is sickening. At least it only got a runner up award, I suppose.

At any rate. Resident Evil 7 is my pick for GOTY. Nothing else comes close, plus no BS microtransactions.
#1 Resident Evil Fan.
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 28 December 17 at 21:11
Dark Death 90 said:
JaysBetterThanU said:
Destiny 2 is filled with micro transactions, you literally have to pay for skins, PvP is the same as the first game which is honestly boring to any old players and get boring fast for new players. ME: Andromeda, although I enjoyed some of it, it was the most disappointing game I've ever played thanks to the drama during its development. Middle_Earth: Shadow of War, another title that requires you to spend $$$$ on micro-transactions if you don't want to grind 100+ hours for the "true" ending, fucking pathetic.
I agree with you there. Shadow of War in particular disgust me. That fact that people actually defend these manipulative, greedy, disgusting practices is sickening. At least it only got a runner up award, I suppose.

At any rate. Resident Evil 7 is my pick for GOTY. Nothing else comes close, plus no BS microtransactions.
You have not played either Shadow of Mordor or War. Listen to the people who have actually played and completed the game. The lootboxes do not impact the game. Stop bashing a game you have not played. I gave it 5 / 5, which is extremely rare for me. It is a masterpiece of a game.
This post may be sarcastic.
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 29 December 17 at 05:30
Rista B said:
I wonder how much of this is driven by people choosing to only vote for games they played this year?
How else would you expect people to vote?........
Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 29 December 17 at 05:33
Shinnizle said:
GRAND NOBLE said:
Best Games with Gold Game: Tales from the Borderlands
wtfffffffffff

Outlast?
Dark Souls?
OxenFree?
LOVRS?
Dark Souls doesn't count as it was Games With Gold ages ago. Outlast is on the fringe because it was Games With Gold from mid-December 2016 to mid-January 2017.

But I think it simply won because it is such a funny game. Definitely one of the best Telltale efforts out there.
Oh yeah, you're totally right about Dark Souls lol. my bad. but Outlast definitely counts at 2017!

And again, I'm sorry, but no way that a telltale "kind of a game, but not really" game should be considered the top game. It's hardly even a game!
Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 29 December 17 at 05:40
Shadow 00 Fox said:
Ahh, the dumb site awards again, the yearly popularity contest that really doesn't define at all what the best games were! I'm not going to re-post my simple explanation from last year that's easy to do and makes these actually mean something...

Just go off the games ratings. If the game has fewer than 100 ratings, then it doesn't qualify. Simple. Done. And actual ratings not popularity!
I think this would be a great idea! ^^^^

But I also think this version of the "popularity contest" has SOME MERIT, despite what everyone is complaining about (including me). Shadow's version should be the Game of The Year awards, and whatever THIS is should have a different name... LOL!!!
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 29 December 17 at 05:50
NMANOZ said:
Where are the real results?
The nonchalant-ness of this made me LOL. like, HARD.
Dark Death 90
Dark Death 90
Posted on 30 December 17 at 00:52
LuckyConquerer2 said:
Dark Death 90 said:
JaysBetterThanU said:

You have not played either Shadow of Mordor or War. Listen to the people who have actually played and completed the game. The lootboxes do not impact the game. Stop bashing a game you have not played. I gave it 5 / 5, which is extremely rare for me. It is a masterpiece of a game.
!. Don't even try to assume what I have and have not played. Just because it isn't on my main Xbox profile does not mean I haven't played it. I haven't PURCHASED it, because they day I reward greedy WB with my hard earned cash is the day I will have lost all respect for myself.

2. Saying the loot boxes do not effect gameplay is nothing short of a blatant, demonstrable lie. Are you seriously ignorant enough to believe that they put loot boxes in the game, without altering said game to make them more enticing? Loot boxes ALWAYS EFFECT GAMEPLAY. Especially ones where you can buy and advantage like in Shadow of War. It's why the epilogue of the game is a massive, dull grind. DEVS NEVER PUT IN LOOT BOXES AND THEN NOT EXPECT YOU TO BUY THEM. PERIOD.

Here's some homework for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TXWdyrqFP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHszeYz5Mi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLDid1UNyg8&t=331s
#1 Resident Evil Fan.
Shadow 00 Fox
Shadow 00 Fox
Posted on 30 December 17 at 10:16
GRAND NOBLE said:
NMANOZ said:
Where are the real results?
The nonchalant-ness of this made me LOL. like, HARD.
laugh
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 30 December 17 at 14:05
The epilogue does not exist. It is the main storyline. The credits play then.

Have you actually played through the game to the end? No, you haven't.

I, like many others, spent nothing on microtransactions. Everything is there in game. The only loot boxes I opened cost in game money, money that was spare after buying all upgrades on all forts.

People are complaining that the final part of the story is grindy. Your fortresses are being attacked by Sauron. Your noob level guys from the first part of the story are not going to be handle someone as powerful as Sauron. It is illogical to think otherwise. Mine were all level 55 and were good enough, based on what perks they had.

People are crying because the game gets a little tough. One does simply walk into Mordor.
This post may be sarcastic.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.