Forum for Editorials and other News Features

The Most Played Games on TrueAchievements in 2017 - Part One

AuthorMessage
Bellsten
Bellsten
Posted on 27 December 17 at 14:36
KBop a doo said:
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Thank you for the link, very interesting. Only four games from TA’s list is on the top 20 on Xbox right now. Fortnite is #1 in the US, didn’t know the game was that popular.
Fortnite: Battle Royale is popular! The base game is not popular at all.
Wouldn't say its unpopular, they did manage to sell 500k early access copies within 24h and that aint bad for a game that was going to be free to play later on.
Daelus1
Daelus1
Posted on 27 December 17 at 14:36, Edited on 27 December 17 at 14:37 by Daelus1
KBop a doo said:
For those saying it should be based on time played, Xbox's "time played" system counts in-game time whether you're sitting at the start menu or actually playing (I once went on vacation for a week, left a game running, and now it looks like I've played an obscene amount), so it's a poor system of gauging what game actually was the most played. The format may not be perfect, but it at least tells us something about the amount of people that played each game.
lol....one would imagine you would be in the distinct minority there......can't imagine many would see a game sit idle for major lengths...and a week seems, well, I digress.

While I appreciate the list it does have some serious flaws (perhaps unavoidable depending on TA's dataset capabilities); if the intent was to show the popularity of a game then GWG entries should be looked at for exclusion, for a similar reason to one stating that Fortnite is popular.......a lot of people will play anything if it's free; put a price tag on it and see how popular it is (as per your post, that information does not flatter Fortnite)
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 27 December 17 at 14:41
Daelus1 said:
KBop a doo said:
For those saying it should be based on time played, Xbox's "time played" system counts in-game time whether you're sitting at the start menu or actually playing (I once went on vacation for a week, left a game running, and now it looks like I've played an obscene amount), so it's a poor system of gauging what game actually was the most played. The format may not be perfect, but it at least tells us something about the amount of people that played each game.
lol....one would imagine you would be in the distinct minority there
Most people don't even know you have to manually exit games or it continues to run in the background
Burnah Bros
Burnah Bros
Posted on 27 December 17 at 16:15
Fun read and interesting list thus far. This list is a reflection of why companies think they can get away with treating their costumers like crap. Even when certain companies have zero respect for their consumers and treat them like atm's, people still fork over their cash and buy in to be ripped off. But at least it's not all bad.

20.) Marvel Heroes Omega - This was actually a fun game with some awesome characters from the Marvel Universe. The programmers that created this game did a great job. I enjoyed this game in the short amount of time it was available but it also was a game where the companies involved with it handle the game in a way that screwed over players whether inadvertent or not. If you want to know why the game really got shut down you can find some interesting and disturbing information on reddit.

19.)FIFA - The poster boy for micro-transactions. This franchise is why EA thought it could do what it did with BF2. FIFA has been robbing it's fans blind for over a decade with the Ultimate Team money grab. But I will say that I have enjoyed FIFA games in the past and if you ignore the Ultimate team portion of any FIFA game then it is quite fun. I really think EA should stop fence riding, it doesn't seem to know if it wants to follow a free-to-play model or the money up front model, so instead EA does both, they charge you up front and then loot you with their boxes. Simple solution would be to make these games free for EA Access members upon release. Then they could loot box it up and who could complain. And they would still get the purchases from their core audience of less informed consumers. But in it's current state I will not spend any money on EA. I used to spend all my video game budget on their games. Eventually though even the dimmest of bulbs brightens up.

18.) Injustice 2 - This game is awesome but the loot boxes are lame. At least Injustice did the loot boxes in a way that seems to be somewhat fairer to the players. The games story mode is top notch and having an alternate ending is also a good reason to go back to the story. I'm not a fan of loot boxes but at least in this game you don't feel as though the whole entire game is centered around them. Injustice 2 gives you the ability to earn at least 10 loot boxes a day quick and easy and the possibility to earn more. If your gonna have loot boxes at least this game doesn't make you feel like you ever have to actually buy one. Loot boxes still suck regardless.

17.)Halo Wars 2 - Have yet to play this game but I am interested in playing it and plan to check it out at some point in 2018.

16.) ARK: Survival Evolved - I played the beta but didn't play long enough to get a feel for it or give much of an opinion. Seemed like a good game but I just didn't have the time to really play it.

15.) Battlefront 2 - I refuse to play this game on principle. I love the Star Wars franchise but I hate when companies take advantage of their costumers. This game has to be the biggest slap in the face of gamer's and Star Wars fans ever. Because of this game I will not spend any money on EA for the foreseeable future, if ever again. Star Wars is the reason I switched from ps to xbox back when the first Knight's of the Old Republic was released. I literally went out and bought the xbox just to play KOTOR. I've been a loyal xbox supporter ever since. But now I'm thinking maybe it's time to switch back to ps because of BF2 and because of what EA did to Viseral Games and the single player Star Wars game they had in development. I would have loved to play a single player Star Wars game and would have re-subscribed to EA Access and bought this game day one. But instead we get BF2, a glossy turd.

14.) Resident Evil 7 - I have yet to play this game but would like to sometime in the future. I've heard good things about it.

13.) Minecraft - One of the best games ever made. A game that is brilliant in it's simplicity. This is a game that has tremendous replay-ability. The possibilities in this game are only limited by ones imagination. This game shows that gameplay is more important than graphics. It is a shining light on a hill that proves a company can be successful without being greedy.

12.) For Honor - I've never played this game and have heard mixed things about it. Apparently one of the finishing animations had to be changed because of Al Franken.

11.) SpeedRunners - For a free game (not really free because you do pay for gold and part of why I get gold is for the 4 games included a month, not exactly free but extremely affordable) it's worth playing and there is some fun to be had. I've definitely had fun playing this with a friend and even by my lonesome. It's reminiscent of old school pc games. It's a simple game but that is part of it's charm.
Burnah Bros
Burnah Bros
Burnah Bros
Posted on 27 December 17 at 16:20
KBop a doo said:
Daelus1 said:
KBop a doo said:
lol....one would imagine you would be in the distinct minority there
Most people don't even know you have to manually exit games or it continues to run in the background
I've been wondering why every game I play says I play for longer than humanly possible. I'm the type of person that will pause a game and go make dinner or even have a game idle while working and play during breaks. I also quite often fall asleep with a game on. Lately I've tried to be more mindful but to little avail.
Burnah Bros
D Houzz
D Houzz
Posted on 27 December 17 at 17:06
I've searched and searched - can anyone post with the link to 2016's article on this topic? Was it multiple parts? Or can it be included in the original story for reference? I think I'm confusing some releases I'm expecting to be on the list with those that actually came out in 2016.
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 27 December 17 at 17:21
D Houzz said:
I've searched and searched - can anyone post with the link to 2016's article on this topic? Was it multiple parts? Or can it be included in the original story for reference? I think I'm confusing some releases I'm expecting to be on the list with those that actually came out in 2016.
Most Played Games on TrueAchievements 2016 - Part One
Most Played Games On TrueAchievements 2016 - Part Two

toast
Daelus1
Daelus1
Posted on 27 December 17 at 18:01
KBop a doo said:
D Houzz said:
Most Played Games on TrueAchievements 2016 - Part One
Most Played Games On TrueAchievements 2016 - Part Two

toast
Ahhh, I was wondering the same thing, thanks. If TA was to take advice (been hit and miss imo :P), per my above comment, FTP/ GWG titles should be excluded from these lists. Would anyone have played Roblox last year if it wasn't FTP? Would Slime Rancher crack the top 10 if it wasn't free as well? Hey, I played Slime Rancher) and mildly enjoyed it) but would never have actually purchased it....in talking about X exclusives in 2017, I have never seen anyone ever mention Slime Rancher, even though this list will say it was as "popular"....just a thought.
BPBPBPBPBPBPBP
Posted on 27 December 17 at 18:06
KBop a doo said:
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Thank you for the link, very interesting. Only four games from TA’s list is on the top 20 on Xbox right now. Fortnite is #1 in the US, didn’t know the game was that popular.

Because of grinding the leaderboards in GRAW starting in mid April, xbox said I played it for over 5,000 hours. Just from mid April to late October. laugh
Dead Rising Survivalist: 17d 06h 58m (PS4 ; 2nd), 17d 06h 56m (Xbox One ; 1st) Xbox 360 : 17d 07h 00m (hacked leaderboard)
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 27 December 17 at 18:28, Edited on 27 December 17 at 18:47 by KBop a doo
BPBPBPBPBPBPBP said:
KBop a doo said:
HawkeyeBarry20 said:

Because of grinding the leaderboards in GRAW starting in mid April, xbox said I played it for over 5,000 hours. Just from mid April to late October. laugh
Had the same thing happen to me when I was idling the match portion (6,000 matches of each game mode) of Seriously 3.0 in Gears of War 3 laugh

Daelus1 said:
Ahhh, I was wondering the same thing, thanks. If TA was to take advice (been hit and miss imo :P), per my above comment, FTP/ GWG titles should be excluded from these lists. Would anyone have played Roblox last year if it wasn't FTP? Would Slime Rancher crack the top 10 if it wasn't free as well? Hey, I played Slime Rancher) and mildly enjoyed it) but would never have actually purchased it....in talking about X exclusives in 2017, I have never seen anyone ever mention Slime Rancher, even though this list will say it was as "popular"....just a thought.
I see your point, but I don't really get why TA would have the exclusion. If you removed them, all you'd get is a list called, "The Most Popular Retail Games That Weren't Games With Gold," which is super-specific and not particularly interesting to anyone. It's just supposed to be a fun list showing what games had the most starters on TA, nothing to be taken terribly seriously.

Also remember that Xbox and TA have a wealth of data that you can filter however you like, so you could probably make your own list to those specifications if you're really curious about how different it would be toast We've been doing these lists for years, and you're the first person who has requested free to play and GWG be removed, so the format isn't likely to change toast
Daelus1
Daelus1
Posted on 27 December 17 at 20:50, Edited on 27 December 17 at 20:52 by Daelus1
KBop a doo said:
I see your point, but I don't really get why TA would have the exclusion. If you removed them, all you'd get is a list called, "The Most Popular Retail Games That Weren't Games With Gold," which is super-specific and not particularly interesting to anyone. It's just supposed to be a fun list showing what games had the most starters on TA, nothing to be taken terribly seriously.
Part of the hit and miss...more of a miss this time :) Don't take it personally; you TA folk are horrible with that. One would simply hope the lists were both "fun" and informative else why not simply report all the games that were most popular on the 3rd Wednesday of each month....context and all that....again, just trying to value-add here, but if the list is everything TA wants it to be, kudos, great job.
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 27 December 17 at 21:26
Daelus1 said:
KBop a doo said:
Part of the hit and miss...more of a miss this time :) Don't take it personally; you TA folk are horrible with that. One would simply hope the lists were both "fun" and informative else why not simply report all the games that were most popular on the 3rd Wednesday of each month....context and all that....again, just trying to value-add here, but if the list is everything TA wants it to be, kudos, great job.
Obvious troll is obvious
Posted on 27 December 17 at 22:35
Redd Five said:
Default said:
Oddworld X said:
Call of Duty or Gears of War 4 could be #2

I already know what #1 and it's thanks to me
I can still hear the announcer in my head from the start of the game.
I'm thinking this may involve boats in some way?
Boats and weather!
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 27 December 17 at 23:27
Daelus1 said:
KBop a doo said:
We did used to do that. The articles were time-consuming and not popular.
NawtyCawty
NawtyCawty
Posted on 27 December 17 at 23:47
CRZYSPZ said:
I'm guessing.....

Gears of War 4
CoD: WWII
Assassin's Creed: Origins
Slime Rancher
Destiny 2
FIFA 18
Forza Motorsport 7

and maybe....

CoD: Black Ops II
Final Fantasy XV (one can wish, right?)
Darksiders
Erm so FIFA 18 is in it twice then? facepalm
EX nightstalk3r
Posted on 28 December 17 at 02:23, Edited on 28 December 17 at 02:25 by EX nightstalk3r
Danno Omen said:
DANIELJJ14 said:
Gears of war 4 is irrelevant right?
I thought these lists were based on games released this year.
Cuphead will no doubt be in the top 10 but I’m really struggling to think of many more titles other than Destiny 2 or CoD.
Probably a madden game thrown in for good measure.
I’m guessing Slime Rancher will be the other GwG title to appear.

I saw Prey only had around 20k players which I thought would be a bit higher.
What good games actually came out this year on Xbox?
Destiny 2
Call of duty:WWII
Mass Effect Andromeda
Ghost recon
Cuphead
Assassins creed origins

These are the locks for the top 10. Slime Rancher and Trackmania turbo are probably pretty good bets too. As far as i know a 2016 game can make this list if enough ppl started it this year,its just a lot easier for ppl to check anything that came out in 2017 and see if it makes the list.
Pretty sure there will be Forza horizon 3 and/or Forza motorsport 7 too.
FH3 is still adding lots of challenges every month.
Overwatch and Rocket League might also be there.
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 28 December 17 at 04:38
This was really interesting to see and read. Even though the only game from the lsit I'd played was SPEEDRUNNERS (and not much of it tbh)... i read all the re-caps.

Great stuff!!

I've played 116 games in 2017 and only 4 of them were "2017" games lol... and all 4 of those were free games. Such a shame!!!

HOWEVER!!! I just got AC:Origins and Cuphead for XMAS, so hoping those will be in the top 10!!!
Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 28 December 17 at 07:42
Rocket League is gonna be #1.
ZoZombify
ZoZombify
Posted on 28 December 17 at 08:44
I haven't played any of these games yet. laugh
Daelus1
Daelus1
Posted on 28 December 17 at 11:26
Eurydace said:
Daelus1 said:
KBop a doo said:
We did used to do that. The articles were time-consuming and not popular.
Thank you, Kevin; you are a credit to the Community...not that I always agree with you :)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.