Site Wishlist Forum

Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Track/Crowdsource Xbox One achievement sub-requirements

AuthorMessage
Palesius
Palesius
Posted on 29 December 17 at 04:29, Edited on 29 December 17 at 15:42 by Palesius
Many achievement have sub-requirements on the XBox 1. e.g. The master at arms achievement in gears of war 4 requires 50 kills with each of 18 weapons. The trackers on the xbox and xbox.com and TA all show just a simple percentage complete. But the actual progress of each sub achievement is tracked, and is part of the data that MS sends to the website or windows apps, and is available through the unofficial xbox API. I'm assuming it is also part of the data pulled by the TA scanners.

I made a webpage to display the progress on each of those 18 sub-achievements for that achievement, which was relatively simple and straightforward, and very well received.
Palesius Gears of War 4 Master At Arms Palesius' solution for the Master At Arms Achievement in Gears of War 4You're just plain talented with every weapon!

The only tricky and time consuming part of it was determining which sub achievement was which, as each is only described by a alphanumeric ID (GUID). That required getting a few kills with each weapon and seeing which sub-achievement had increased. This seems like given the right setup it would be a relatively easy thing to crowd source. If only there were a website dedicated to crowd sourcing achievement information smile. It seems like this could be a good fit for TA, an extension of the tagging system for XB1 achievements with multiple parts.
People could see their progress and then give descriptions for each component of the achievement. This certainly wouldn't apply to every achievement, but for those it does, it could make things easier for a whole lot of people.

Another example, also from Gears 4: there is an achievement for playing on each of 24 non-launch maps, but no way of knowing which you have or have not played on. With a few people contributing to collecting the information, TA could tell you exactly which ones you still need.
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 29 December 17 at 05:39
Fascinating. It would definitely require help from the community, but it sounds like it'd be very useful.
"Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
Jonker
Jonker
Posted on 29 December 17 at 15:35, Edited on 29 December 17 at 15:35 by Jonker
Wow man, this is impressive and I can see it helping with quite a lot of achievements. Thanks for putting this together, I hope it gets implemented or at least considered! I'm spending my last vote here toast
Infamous
Infamous
Posted on 29 December 17 at 15:56
This would be amazing, maybe i'd finally be able to figure out what horde map I'm missing for seriously 4.0 :D
GHOSTLYSHINOBI
Posted on 30 December 17 at 11:10
This would be fantastic!
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 30 December 17 at 16:03
I use my 15 votes pretty sparingly, but this is definitely worth one.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Ereaser NL
Ereaser NL
Posted on 02 January 18 at 01:39, Edited on 02 January 18 at 01:46 by Ereaser NL
I could really see this working if people make small services that expect just a gamertag and return json/xml (whatever TA wants) which gets put into a table.

I imagine it will require quite a bit of work though. You got my vote non the less though and hopefully it catches someone's attention.
Palesius
Palesius
Posted on 02 January 18 at 03:52
It shouldn't require any external services. I mean that's how I set it up for Gears, but the TA scanners should already have access to this information, it's just a question of storing and displaying it. And then adding the ability for site users to fill in the blanks (like weapon #1 is the Boomshot, #2 is the Mulcher, etc.)
Sort of like how solutions work today, but it would be a a lot smaller piece of info, just the name of a weapon, or map, or enemy type, depending on the particular achievement.
CRUM LEE
CRUM LEE
Posted on 02 January 18 at 18:11
+1, great work and idea toast
bmlortz
bmlortz
Posted on 08 January 18 at 09:09
This is excellent. At least now maybe more people will vote for the Speyer map, as it is the only map that has access to the Salvo (Rustlung's 5 minute timer never has a chance to activate).
G Mason Patriot
Posted on 08 January 18 at 16:52
Great idea! You get my first vote!
Rondund
Rondund
Posted on 18 January 18 at 16:50
Yup. Great idea!
eduh000
eduh000
Posted on 19 January 18 at 21:38
Very useful!
AceMcCloud
AceMcCloud
Posted on 22 January 18 at 13:36
Absolutely Palesius, this would be great, hope it's considered.

TA should see it's a "multi-part" achievement progress, and have an icon for that, which expands (spoiler style) to display the sub progress parts and a temporary label " # out of #", " # out of #" etc. for all the parts and your progress, even with labels you don't recognize, just the number of them and how far you are in each maybe a huge help.

With a link to submit info as to what you believe the labels are (which weapons, maps, etc.) and crowd figure it out, it could also refer to other achievements within the same game, so achievements that use the same maps might re-use the same ID numbers possibly.
AceMcCloud
TOBY 1K NO BE
TOBY 1K NO BE
Posted on 27 January 18 at 17:16
Using this feature as we speak thanks to you.

Definitely gets my vote
Sera Di Siah
Sera Di Siah
Posted on 28 January 18 at 14:40
+1 for sure. :)
'Eyes up, Guardian'
Zekling
Zekling
Posted on 31 January 18 at 15:36
Added my vote for this. There's a few achievements I've really wished would've gone into this type of depth to help track my progress. If the data is being sent on my progress for sub-achievements, I want to see it!
Oriole2682
Oriole2682
Posted on 06 February 18 at 01:46
Great job bro i've made it my status now to get you more upvotes
Mephisto4thewin
Mephisto4thewin
Posted on 06 February 18 at 09:19
Fantastic idea. Surely a record for most upvotes without a negative :)
EverStoned77
EverStoned77
Posted on 08 February 18 at 00:41
first time I've wished I could use more than 1 vote, awesome idea clap
I too will make this my status (helped me get here so definitely working) & help spread the word smile
It's not like I'm saying I'm Batman, I'm just saying no one has EVER seen us at the same time...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.