Site Wishlist Forum

Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

New Solution voting system

AuthorMessage
TuKraZe
TuKraZe
Posted on 11 January 18 at 16:34
I have seen a lot of posts in the forums regarding the voting of solutions on the site and how people (myself included) get frustrated when a solution is completely valid and sometimes the author of the solution goes above and beyond the norm and still attracts negative votes. I seen a solution the other day where a member of the site created a webpage that could enter your gamertag into and it would display the information regarding the amount of kills you had for certain weapons; something in which the developers did not include in the game itself but somehow this member managed to provide this level of detail and proved to be exceptionally helpful at a cost to himself too.

So what I am proposing is that by altering the voting system, we as individual member still get to vote using the thumbs up and thumbs down system, however when viewing a solution the votes could perhaps be hidden and displayed as more of a hidden percentage. For example:

HIGH VOTE RATIO - 90% - 100%
GOOD VOTE RATIO - 75% - 89%
AVERAGE - 50% - 74%
POOR - 0% - 49%

These could be indicated by the colour system that applies to other aspects of the site:

HIGH = Yellow
GOOD = Green
AVERAGE = Grey
Poor = Red

I believe this system will eliminate trolls being able to negatively down-vote perfectly good solutions and eliminate the frustration that comes with this for the authors whilst still offering a system that provides the community a clear understanding of the quality of each solution.
Want a custom Gamerpic or Logo? Hit me up for further details.
Spilner
Spilner
Posted on 11 January 18 at 16:54
roll that time of year again?
Pom poms at the ready, cheerleaders!
MakeMeACoffee
MakeMeACoffee
Posted on 11 January 18 at 16:58
Spilner said:
In all fairness, this does seem to be a sensible suggestion and I don't think implementing it would take anything away from anybody.
TuKraZe
TuKraZe
Posted on 11 January 18 at 17:03
MakeMeACoffee said:
Spilner said:
In all fairness, this does seem to be a sensible suggestion and I don't think implementing it would take anything away from anybody.
Thank you for your reply :) You are absolutely correct, it's not that I am trying to introduce a whole new system, it is merely a case of altering the one we already have. People are trying to find new ways to help and improve the site on a daily basis, and this is just my input on a subject I know has not been adjusted or improved since being implemented.
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 11 January 18 at 17:10, Edited on 11 January 18 at 17:13 by JumboWario
TuKraZe said:
I believe this system will eliminate trolls being able to negatively down-vote perfectly good solution
Not seeing how this would prevent troll downvoting. It seems like just another way to display it to me. I'm not opposed to having a percentage over a up/down count, but I just don't see why it's better or more beneficial.
Game On.
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 11 January 18 at 17:21
Spilner said:
At least it is being done early....

@OP - I echo Jumbo's point. Additionally, you would need to convert the original votes. The current system is simple. No need to make it more complex and less user friendly.
This post may be sarcastic.
TuKraZe
TuKraZe
Posted on 11 January 18 at 17:28
JumboWario said:
TuKraZe said:
I believe this system will eliminate trolls being able to negatively down-vote perfectly good solution
Not seeing how this would prevent troll downvoting. It seems like just another way to display it to me. I'm not opposed to having a percentage over a up/down count, but I just don't see why it's better or more beneficial.
OK, maybe I have not made it clear enough, my apologies....

So what I am suggesting is as you mention an alternative way to display the way in which we view votes. Instead of displaying 'X number of positive and X number of Negative votes, we just have an icon that states either HIGH, GOOD, AVERAGE or POOR based on the percentage of votes made towards a solution. Absolutely NO figures or percentage numbers will be viewable to the public, thus eliminating trolls getting their 1 viewable negative vote and enraging the authors. If a solution is no good, the public will be able to speak volumes still using the voting system as if more people vote negative the solution will display a red POOR icon. I hope this makes better sense.
Beanpotter
Beanpotter
Posted on 11 January 18 at 18:39
I wouldn't be against it if that's what people wanted. It'd be similar to the way the Gaming Session badge works on your homepage.

I wouldn't want a Poor category though. At the moment, if the ratio of pos/neg goes too low, the solution is auto-hidden, so this is where I'd set the bar for anything dropping below average.
Two can play this game.
alklein92201
alklein92201
Posted on 11 January 18 at 19:45
So, honest question, because I currently believe the answer is 'no'.

Does this actually do anything besides make people feel better when they see their solution's votes?
#mentallypudding
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 11 January 18 at 19:53
I can't see any benefits, so no.
This post may be sarcastic.
Dragonpwnsz
Dragonpwnsz
Posted on 11 January 18 at 19:57
This is perhaps the best solution for this issue I have seen thus far.
YouTube.com/DrakanGames | PSN: Dragonpwnsz | Steam: Dragonpwnsz | Twitter @Dragonpwnsz | Facebook: Dragonpwnsz
TuKraZe
TuKraZe
Posted on 11 January 18 at 20:14, Edited on 11 January 18 at 20:17 by TuKraZe
I understand that this may not apply to everybody as not everyone is going to understand the benefits of revamping the current system, but it is beneficial to those that spend time and effort writing solutions for the benefit of the community we have here. I personally feel it IS a minor improvement and may actually eliminate this subject being mentioned in the future so it may well be worth thinking about that too?!? It doesn't actually affect anybody in a negative way by implementing this in my opinion. You will still have a clear understanding of which solutions are 'Good' and which are 'Not so Good' minus the negativity that some people bring to the site and reduce maybe some friction on the matter.
LizardKingLXXXI
Posted on 11 January 18 at 21:04
I think this is a great idea TuKraZe & falls inline with the recent updates the site has made cosmetically & statistically. The example you gave in your post is correct, a lot of people go out of their way to make spot on solutions & often spend a lot of time to make a reference document / map etc for the community to use for someone to go & down vote it for either a small error where a comment to the owner to fix is all that is needed or just a troll looking to feel better about themselves for a second. It isn't a popularity contest to get the highest score as has been mentioned, it's about feeling good for helping the community that you are passionate about. The foundations of this website are built on community members adding solutions / guides / walkthroughs etc for others to use, this is all how we 1st found this website yeah? If a solution has error's or doesn't work comments are made to the owner to edit or take another look, if they ignore the feedback then yeah it get's a down vote to stop people wasting time trying out the solution. I would love to see this implemented. Peace
L0rd S0th
L0rd S0th
Posted on 11 January 18 at 21:24
I believe this is a solution
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 12 January 18 at 00:22
It won't fix anything, but by all means pester Rich to waste even more dev time on this "problem" than he already has.
"Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
TuKraZe
TuKraZe
Posted on 12 January 18 at 01:02
LV 1 Blue Slime said:
It won't fix anything, but by all means pester Rich to waste even more dev time on this "problem" than he already has.
Although I respect your opinion and everybody is perfectly valid to form their own opinion, I DO strongly believe it would fix the issue people have on the subject.
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 12 January 18 at 01:20
TuKraZe said:
LV 1 Blue Slime said:
Although I respect your opinion and everybody is perfectly valid to form their own opinion, I DO strongly believe it would fix the issue people have on the subject.
"My absolutely perfect solution got a downvote please fix" becomes "My absolutely perfect solution went from green to yellow please fix". I suppose it might, potentially, work for the really popular games. If you have enough positive votes that a few negatives don't do anything to the color, you won't know the difference. For everything else, nothing changes, and we'll be back to arguing about forced comments and removing downvotes in a month or two. Maybe even less. Until a solution has at least 10 positive votes, a mere downvote or two will change the color to yellow. I admire your optimism though.
"Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
alklein92201
alklein92201
Posted on 12 January 18 at 01:28
TuKraZe said:
LV 1 Blue Slime said:
But judging by your last post, where you didn't actually list any benefits, the issue you're fighting seems to just be that people feel bad when they get downvoted. I personally don't see that as an issue worth spending any minute amount of time on.
#mentallypudding
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 12 January 18 at 01:29, Edited on 12 January 18 at 01:30 by JumboWario
LV 1 Blue Slime said:
Until a solution has at least 10 positive votes, a mere downvote or two will change the color to yellow.
I'll second that. Of the 153 solutions I've posted (granted they aren't for the most popular games), there are only about nine that have more than 10 upvotes. Many don't have any votes at all.
Game On.
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 12 January 18 at 01:46
JumboWario said:
LV 1 Blue Slime said:
Until a solution has at least 10 positive votes, a mere downvote or two will change the color to yellow.
I'll second that. Of the 153 solutions I've posted (granted they aren't for the most popular games), there are only about nine that have more than 10 upvotes. Many don't have any votes at all.
I'm sitting here at work so I thought I'd take a look. I have 397 solutions and 41 of them have less than 10 votes. So 358 of my solutions would go down from green to yellow with just one downvote. I have 37 solutions that would be yellow, because they have at least 1 downvote but 10 or less upvotes. I tend to play more niche shit (and as a result, write solutions for them) so maybe I'm more affected than most, but it's hardly a small problem.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.