Game Discussion: ACA NEOGEO THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 Forum

ACA NEOGEO KoF '98 vs KoF '98 Ultimate Match (XBLA)

AuthorMessage
SpaceBaboon QC
Posted on 12 January 18 at 09:54
A question for aficionados who played both, which version is best?
New Paralyzer
New Paralyzer
Posted on 12 January 18 at 10:34, Edited on 12 January 18 at 11:21 by New Paralyzer
Ultimate Match was the better release of the game and isn't just a straight port of the Arcade version you'd find in an actual arcade.

The XBLA version is 200G with Xbox Live multiplayer support and is backwards compatible. Pretty much a mix of arcade and home version for this game as they added Neo-Geo Mode which actually loads up the original KOF98. You have access to the training mode and you can set up some macros which can make the 200G super easy. I've read this version is comparable to the JP PS2 release.

The One version is the arcade game you'd find in an actual arcade. You need to put a "token" in using LB and all that good stuff. Though you don't have access to all dip switches the settings are pretty arcade perfect. This version has 1000G but can be a little rough without practice.

If you aren't just Gamerscore hunting get the 360 XBLA release of KOF 98 Ultimate Match.
SpaceBaboon QC
Posted on 12 January 18 at 20:33
Thanks for the in depth response!

I'm guessing it's the same for all their other XBLA releases like KoF '02, Garou MOW, Samurai Showdown II, Metal Slug 3, etc?
New Paralyzer
New Paralyzer
Posted on 13 January 18 at 00:02
SpaceBaboon QC said:
Thanks for the in depth response!

I'm guessing it's the same for all their other XBLA releases like KoF '02, Garou MOW, Samurai Showdown II, Metal Slug 3, etc?
Yes.

These One releases are by a company called Hamster who have the rights from Konami, SNK, Nintendo, and more to port arcade games.

Nintendo made games obviously are switch exclusive.

For some reason all other arcade games outside the NeoGeo are PS4 and Switch only.

Xbox One only receives the NeoGeo Ports

PS4 you can find Double Dragon, Twin Bee, Haunted Castle (The Castlevania Arcade game) and more awesome arcade classics.

The Nintendo Exclusive ones so far are The Original Mario Bros and VS. Super Mario Bros which is the arcade version of the NES Super Mario Bros. Never before released on Home console.
SpaceBaboon QC
Posted on 13 January 18 at 06:30
Once again, we get shit on because we're on Xbox... I think the one we didn't get that pisses me off the most is Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2. It looks soo cool...

Twin Bee and Haunted Castle would be great as well.

Thanks a lot for the info, mate!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.