Site Help Forum

Got something you don't understand? Need to know how something works? Ask here and we'll do our best to help you

If there really no way to stop people who don't show up for sessions from giving bad feedback?

AuthorMessage
EarthboundX
EarthboundX
Posted on 13 January 18 at 03:05, Edited on 13 January 18 at 03:05 by EarthboundX
I've gotten to the point where I just won't give feedback to people who join sessions, but then don't show up, because they sometimes just give retaliatory bad feedback in return. Which pretty much completely negates the entire session feedback system.

Is there really no system in place, to stop people who no show in sessions from doing this?
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 13 January 18 at 03:20
How does the site know if someone didn't show up? Put the reason for the feedback in the text field and they will do the same. Not much you can do about it.
Game On.
EarthboundX
EarthboundX
Posted on 13 January 18 at 03:34, Edited on 13 January 18 at 03:44 by EarthboundX
I've thought of a system, that I think would work.

Add an icon next to the Gamertags, near the current session icons, like the ones that allow you to remove someone or, add a reserve to the session. The icon says this gamer didn't show up for the session. Once a single person clicks that, it sends a PM to the rest of the people in the session, and they can vote if that person showed up or not. If at least half of the people vote yes(Lets face it not everyone would reply to the messages), they didn't show up, it removes the ability of the no show to leave any kind of feedback, and removes any they might have already left.

I think that would work really well, there could be some way to abuse it I guess, but not anymore than letting no show leave bad feedback. If the person did show, and was disruptive to the session, people would be normally be leaving them negative feedback anyway.

I know in the end it's not a huge deal, but for my OCD, plus my pride of having perfect session feedback(Again, that one negative I have is from a no show that I wasn't able to talk my way out of them removing it. Currently trying to get that recent neutral feedback removed)so it just drives me crazy.
alklein92201
alklein92201
Posted on 13 January 18 at 04:22, Edited on 13 January 18 at 04:22 by alklein92201
This has been discussed many times over, and the consensus is almost always the same -- allowing the people in a session to declare a player as a no show, or unable to leave feedback, or whatever, is far too open to abuse and very much outweighs any benefit it would bring.

Hell, I think we've even had hire ups already state it isn't going to happen.
#mentallypudding
EarthboundX
EarthboundX
Posted on 13 January 18 at 04:23, Edited on 13 January 18 at 04:41 by EarthboundX
alklein92201 said:
This has been discussed many times over, and the majority consensus is almost always the same -- allowing the people in a session to declare a player as a no show, or unable to leave feedback, or whatever, is far too open to abuse and very much outweighs any benefit it would bring.
Yeah, that's what I figured, there's always a way to abuse the system.

No harm in asking though.
IAteA11ThePies
Posted on 14 January 18 at 02:22
If may not do much for 2p sessions, but if in a larger session when all but one person shows up then everyone leaves that player a deserved no-show reference then even if they retaliate it's fairly clear what happened.

I and others do actually read into references rather than just looking at numbers. Indeed, one TA friend wrote a good blog piece on this. Getting a negative isn't the end of days - but how a member deals with it is, and if all members leave proper negative feedback when required the story is quite easy to tell.

Received a false, retaliatory negative? Yeah, worry not. No ill effects will be observed here. smile
A legit one for which you held your hands up, admitted blame, and apologised? It's OK, shit happens, don't make a habit of it. smile
But give retaliatory negatives after bollocking up a session for others? angry
Yeah, you're getting removed & blocked from any sessions of mine (and I daresay those of many other people) you try to join. People don't take kindly to their time being wasted and this may be one of the bigger xbox communities, but it isn't so big as to allow people to act like a dick and it not come back and bite them.
Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon
Posted on 14 January 18 at 04:18, Edited on 14 January 18 at 04:19 by Mobius Evalon
I'm honestly of the impression that these coordinated bad feedback hit squads are a straw man that don't even exist. I've been in 977 sessions in 8 years and received 9 not-positive feedback, 7 of them being of the unwarranted variety.

An average of about 1 neutral/negative per year is not an actual issue, considering I've played with hundreds of people in dozens of games.

(I'm actually kind of curious if TA could tell me how many unique people I've had sessions with, would be pretty sweet.)
My opinions are often unpopular and acerbic.
Living Legends
Posted on 14 January 18 at 05:03
It just won't work. Retaliation will not Ben stopped. Also having s vote system or a way to have people say they didn't show will not work. Imagine playing an import and you missed out on a session that requires 6 people. The other five are all friends who play co op and MP for many games. They all group up and can vote you no show for whatever reason.

Most people can see if feedback is BS. Now if you are racking up a whole bunch of negative feedback and retaliating on top of that then some action can be done my the moderation team. Very rare but it has happened.
EarthboundX
EarthboundX
Posted on 14 January 18 at 11:32, Edited on 14 January 18 at 11:36 by EarthboundX
Living Legends said:
It just won't work. Retaliation will not Ben stopped. Also having s vote system or a way to have people say they didn't show will not work. Imagine playing an import and you missed out on a session that requires 6 people. The other five are all friends who play co op and MP for many games. They all group up and can vote you no show for whatever reason.

Most people can see if feedback is BS. Now if you are racking up a whole bunch of negative feedback and retaliating on top of that then some action can be done my the moderation team. Very rare but it has happened.
Why would they do that though? Why would they vote you a no show for a session you showed up for that went well? If you missed out of the session, what do you mean by that? That sounds like being an actual no show. Not 100% on what you mean.

Oh, wait, you mean you miss a single session, so they vote you a no show for all other sessions after that, even if you showed and it went well? Guess I'm just not a petty enough person, I'd just not do sessions with a person who no showed a lot, instead of being a dick and giving them bad feedback for future sessions that went well.
EarthboundX
EarthboundX
Posted on 14 January 18 at 11:33
Like I said though, it's not a huge deal, it's just like it makes my OCD go crazy for a few days.
I8ITackyticsI8I
Posted on 15 January 18 at 13:00, Edited on 15 January 18 at 13:01 by I8ITackyticsI8I
Mobius Evalon said:
I'm honestly of the impression that these coordinated bad feedback hit squads are a straw man that don't even exist. I've been in 977 sessions in 8 years and received 9 not-positive feedback, 7 of them being of the unwarranted variety.

An average of about 1 neutral/negative per year is not an actual issue, considering I've played with hundreds of people in dozens of games.

(I'm actually kind of curious if TA could tell me how many unique people I've had sessions with, would be pretty sweet.)
I'm the same. One neutral feedback was completely unwarranted, one neutral was retaliation and the negative I have is also retaliation because I gave them negative feedback. Annoying, but not much you can really do about it.
Dragonpwnsz
Dragonpwnsz
Posted on 15 January 18 at 17:56
Upon reading this I had an idea. What about instead of removing the votes, a new feedback option gets added for no shows. So keep this:
Good. []
Neutral. []
Bad. []
But add in:
Did this Player show up?
Yes []
No []
YouTube.com/DrakanGames | PSN: Dragonpwnsz | Steam: Dragonpwnsz | Twitter @Dragonpwnsz | Facebook: Dragonpwnsz
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 15 January 18 at 19:09, Edited on 15 January 18 at 19:10 by JumboWario
Ok, so instead of getting bad retaliatory feedback you get bad retaliatory feedback and marked as a no show?

No thanks.
Game On.
A Dreadful Shot
Posted on 16 January 18 at 00:39
Dragonpwnsz said:
Upon reading this I had an idea. What about instead of removing the votes, a new feedback option gets added for no shows. So keep this:
Good. []
Neutral. []
Bad. []
But add in:
Did this Player show up?
Yes []
No []
You can already input notes, so I don’t see the point in this. If someone doesn’t show up I’ll just add “No show.” to their feedback notes.
TrevorDaddy
TrevorDaddy
Posted on 22 January 18 at 17:09
I was in a session recently with four players signed up. The host and I were the only two who showed up, according to the host, so we proceeded just the two of us. I gave the other two guys no-show negative feedback, and one of them in retaliation gave me negative feedback claiming that I was a "no show" in the notes. It's laughable how dishonest people can be and what they get bent out of shape over. I guess there's nothing to be done then.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.