Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Top Five Next Steps for the Assassin's Creed Franchise

• ArcheimArcheim401,995
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 14:59
    The story of origins bored me to death. Bayek and connor of ac iii has a contest of who is only "slightly" more interesting. So dissapointed with the story.
    Download Lies of Astaroth on X1 (free) and use code 44wirx for free stuff (high TA)
  • Posted on 14 January 18 at 15:11
    I think we will see more of the same for the next Assassins Creed game. This was the best received AC game in years so while the next game will have some differences I don’t see them straying too far from the success of this game. They’ll do something small like you will have customized boots, breastplate, gloves, something for defense and I think that’s about as far away as they’ll go.

The sci-fi aspect of the story makes me feel like they’ve wrote themselves in a corner. They can make 100 AC games but they can only tell 1 minute of story bc they have little left to tell without going into the end which they say they know how it will.

The next game needs to have more time out of the animus. People are in the animus to learn and take over the world or defend it but we don’t get to see the fruit of what the animus gives.

They need to drop the multiplayer, end of story. Anyone that says different is a Templar.
  • Posted on 14 January 18 at 15:18
    HawkeyeBarry20 said:
    They need to drop the multiplayer, end of story. Anyone that says different is a Templar.
    I must be a Templar because I loved the multiplayer. It was so different from most multiplayer experiences. I spent loads of hours with friends playing the video game version of hide and seek.
  • B3CKERB3CKER414,047
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 15:24
    I just feel they need to do a better job at tying in the games. Continuity could do this franchise wonders.
    Follow me on Instagram: @jar3d_b
  • TheMaizeTheMaize1,362,502
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 15:31
    B3CKER said:
    I just feel they need to do a better job at tying in the games. Continuity could do this franchise wonders.
    you are the first one i ever hear arguing that the assassins creed franchise lacks continuity, lol
  • BasileusBasileus263,877
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 16:04
    Multiplayer? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Never, never, ever again! Just... don't! warning
  • ShinwashaShinwasha556,673
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 16:18
    I hated the combat in this one, and I chalk it up to the fact the assassin's haven't had the time to learn how to be proficient at their style of combat. Keep MP out. Agree with the others though.
    I'm the Truthcatcher and you are talking a lot of bull.
  • kintariskintaris322,467
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 16:54
    Johnny Broflex said:
    Please don't go Sci-Fi. I feel like it will turn into what made Call of Duty so bad.
    AC has always had a science fiction aspect. It's not set in space, sure, but the core central premise has hinged upon the use of fictional advanced technology - which puts it in the realm of "sci fi" by most definitions. Not that it's an easy one to pin down.

To be absolutely clear to everyone: I do not want Assassin's Creed to be set in space. I want the sci-fi aspects to be better thought out.

That said, I have no problem with them being optional, so if you hate that element you can ignore it. A lot of it was optional in AC II for example. My problem is, why are they bothering to put in these optional sci-fi bits in for the people who like that sort of thing, if they can't even be bothered to make it narratively satisfying?

Basileus said:

To everyone with the above sentiment - the MP in most games, let alone AC specifically, is optional. I don't understand why everyone is so set against it even being included when you can ignore it.

Is it a resource thing? You're worried that development time will be compromised on the SP? Historically I don't think there's much evidence for that, certainly in AC games. Some very good quality SP experiences had MP in the box as well (Brotherhood, Black Flag). But I do sort of get it, if that's your worry.

Genuinely interested to hear why, not trying to diminish your opinions.
  • REDWINGS05REDWINGS05650,148
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 16:56
    I agree 1000000000% with not making AC games every year again. I hope they don't anyway. I enjoy the bigger game and story and being able to take time to explore vs trying to get through it to meet the deadline for next years game. I might actually pick up the season pass for Origins if it is as good as the base game is.
  • TheMaizeTheMaize1,362,502
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 16:56
    kintaris said:
    Basileus said:

To everyone with the above sentiment - the MP in most games, let alone AC specifically, is optional. I don't understand why everyone is so set against it even being included when you can ignore it.

Is it a resource thing? You're worried that development time will be compromised on the SP? Historically I don't think there's much evidence for that, certainly in AC games. Some very good quality SP experiences had MP in the box as well (Brotherhood, Black Flag). But I do sort of get it, if that's your worry.

Most people on this site is achievementhunters...so no..MP is not optional for most people in here, aslong it has achievements tied to it
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 16:58, Edited on 14 January 18 at 17:03 by kintaris
    TheMaize said:
    B3CKER said:
    you are the first one i ever hear arguing that the assassins creed franchise lacks continuity, lol
    If he's referring to the modern day storyline, they absolutely have fudged the continuity for anyone playing the games only. This game's modern component directly references characters from the awful movie, while others have referenced characters and events that you'd only know about if you delved into some of the ARG stuff on the web such as the Initiates. Meanwhile,
    *** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
    they have flitted between so many concepts that it's hard to see any connective tissue between one mainline game and another since Black Flag.
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 17:01
    TheMaize said:
    kintaris said:
    Basileus said:

Most people on this site is achievementhunters...so no..MP is not optional for most people in here, aslong it has achievements tied to it
    Not everyone here is chasing 100% completion on every game though. Not by a long shot.

What if they included MP without significant achievement grinding, or MP with no achievements whatsoever? Would you mind if it was there for the people that wanted it in this case?
  • Posted on 14 January 18 at 17:27
    kintaris said:
    TheMaize said:
    kintaris said:
    Basileus said:

Not everyone here is chasing 100% completion on every game though. Not by a long shot.

What if they included MP without significant achievement grinding, or MP with no achievements whatsoever? Would you mind if it was there for the people that wanted it in this case?
    Have MP in every game as long as there are no cheevos with it. The MP in AC games always felt like an afterthought to me so why put any importance on it like achievements.
  • TheOdd101TheOdd101499,472
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 17:35
    I find it highly likely that the next game will be Aya's. I'd be all for that, her character is pretty cool and the final bits in Rome looked amazing and made a nice change from endless deserts.

Although, I would still love to see an Assassin's Creed set in Japan.
  • iTz Canada EhhiTz Canada Ehh1,004,819
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 17:44
    I personally do NOT want them to keep the combat. I liked the gear system and thought that was cool but the combat itself was annoying. If they were to keep it maybe change the controls so the button mapping feels more natural.

Otherwise I'm at a loss as to where they could go next/where they would want to go. I'm hoping they take another year or two off, as that year gap showed what they can accomplish when given the time.
  • Posted on 14 January 18 at 17:56
    Not a multiplayer fan in AC, but I do enjoy that there are overarching sci-fi elements in the background of the series - and with that, I agree that even as a fan of that plot, every game since III has done nothing to further it.

I hope they take at least a year off. I'm good with a steady stream of AC games, but I'd rather have 2-year or 3-year development cycles for quality games.
  • St Tony22St Tony221,321,028
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 18:11
    Musikfreak007 said:
    Not a multiplayer fan in AC, but I do enjoy that there are overarching sci-fi elements in the background of the series - and with that, I agree that even as a fan of that plot, every game since III has done nothing to further it.

I hope they take at least a year off. I'm good with a steady stream of AC games, but I'd rather have 2-year or 3-year development cycles for quality games.
    But they do have a 2-3 years cycle between games. It is not the same team that creates consecutive games.
  • iTz Canada EhhiTz Canada Ehh1,004,819
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 18:31, Edited on 14 January 18 at 18:32 by iTz Canada Ehh
    St Tony22 said:
    Musikfreak007 said:

But they do have a 2-3 years cycle between games. It is not the same team that creates consecutive games.
    Ubisoft Montreal has been the primary developer for every single Assassin's Creed game except for Syndicate and Rogue, which were primarily developed by Ubisoft Quebec and Ubisoft Sofia respectively. There are other Ubisoft studios such as Ubisoft Toronto, Ubisoft Annecy, Ubisoft Milan and Ubisoft Quebec that have contributed to development as well, but I don't know to what extent or if it's in the same capacity each time.
  • Posted on 14 January 18 at 18:33
    My dream come true for the series would be a bigger focus on stealth based in Japan. The series is begging for ninjas. I'm begging for ninjas.
    You don't see ninjas anymore. What happened to all the ninjas?!
    Ninjas Creed!
    Ubisoft, please!
  • Posted on 14 January 18 at 18:34
    My suggestion is to add zombies laugh
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.