Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Top Five Next Steps for the Assassin's Creed Franchise

• THEpaynexkillerTHEpaynexkiller1,022,494
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 19:31
    Egypt is more requested then Japan? I think not!
  • Rich swv1Rich swv1565,068
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 21:24
    THEpaynexkiller said:
    Egypt is more requested then Japan? I think not!
    I agree
  • Posted on 14 January 18 at 22:09
    kintaris said:
    TheMaize said:
    kintaris said:
    Basileus said:
    Multiplayer? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Never, never, ever again! Just... don't! warning
    To everyone with the above sentiment - the MP in most games, let alone AC specifically, is optional. I don't understand why everyone is so set against it even being included when you can ignore it.

Is it a resource thing? You're worried that development time will be compromised on the SP? Historically I don't think there's much evidence for that, certainly in AC games. Some very good quality SP experiences had MP in the box as well (Brotherhood, Black Flag). But I do sort of get it, if that's your worry.

Genuinely interested to hear why, not trying to diminish your opinions.
    Most people on this site is achievementhunters...so no..MP is not optional for most people in here, aslong it has achievements tied to it
    Not everyone here is chasing 100% completion on every game though. Not by a long shot.

What if they included MP without significant achievement grinding, or MP with no achievements whatsoever? Would you mind if it was there for the people that wanted it in this case?
    Outside of the one game the MP achievements actually weren’t even bad tbh. You could finish them all in a day, and I ended up playing the MP more after being introduced to it through achievements
    PineConeKiller | California | Japan |
  • RhyoliticRhyolitic442,896
    Posted on 14 January 18 at 22:19
    ghanja spawnX said:
    My dream come true for the series would be a bigger focus on stealth based in Japan. The series is begging for ninjas. I'm begging for ninjas.
    You don't see ninjas anymore. What happened to all the ninjas?!
    Ninjas Creed!
    Ubisoft, please!
    You don't see ninjas because they are NINJAS. You know, stealthy. Although I wouldn't mind seeing a few kunoichi... laugh

That being said, while I'm not a big fan of the AC franchise, nor big on the lore, I'd like to see one set way back during the First Civilization. Not these little bits and pieces of lore, but a full on game set there. Maybe even ditch the whole animus aspect and have it set during that rebellion(? - again, not big on the lore).
  • Posted on 14 January 18 at 22:52
    I love the series and haven't had the chance to play Origins yet.

Some things:
    (1) Sci-fi done right: if it is done right, could possibly be the next big twist in the series. Of course, we all know this narrative element is there. But what if they could capture its potential, even giving full closure for the episodes in the game, while uncovering significant and new things about the first civilization and the Creed and Templars? Maybe even something like the sci-fi arc to show like Stranger Things mixed with Indiana Jones.

(2) Explore any place, with the right historical mindset: don't get me wrong, even fixing the bugs in Unity it wasn't enough. So much potential wasted for such a rich time period. We could have played with poor citizens on the eve of one of the most important historical events for humanity and... We got that. Unity could have explored different places in Europe during Napoleonic Wars, the growing of the nationalisms and marking new boundaries by force. Feudal Japan would be awesome, with the right perspective, maybe the transition to Meiji? Latin America's period of independencies would be great too, even with some perspective into Brazilian history (Portugal was allied with England, and while Napoleon threatened to invade Portugal the royal family fled to Brazil).

(3) Leave multiplayer: maybe focus on coop, but at the right measure, don't overdo the game with it.

(4) Recover/improve the stealth factor: even if we like to remember this as if it was, the truth is AC was never stealth - or at least not at a point we could seriously consider a good stealth mechanic. Maybe whenever I get Origins I may change my mind.

(5) Slow down the release cicle and sidegames too (make them relevant somehow).
  • Posted on 14 January 18 at 22:58
    The only thing I'd love to see is the proper return of the present day parallel story. The one they basically dropped after AC III. For me, the story is one of the biggest reasons I play these games and I'm sure the same can be said for a lot of people. It's not all about the stabby stab.

I admit I'm a little behind the times; the last AC game I played was Black Flag. I loved it. I've played every game up until that point and loved them all. It doesn't so much matter to me where the next Assassin does his or her work or what year the game takes place in. I'd likely enjoy it no matter what.

Do you guys remember finding those glyphs in AC II and AC: Brotherhood? Remember all the eerie messages, the references to that ancient civilization? The screen in Brotherhood where you listened to the messages and that creepy face peered out through the static? Remember the Templar conspiracies, people complaining that they were being spied on through their TV? Remember the sacrifice (trying to keep this spoiler free here!) of that one character in AC III and the consequences of that sacrifice?

Yeah. I remember that stuff. I want more of that. I want Ubisoft to deliver on that present-day storyline just as much as they deliver on the past storyline. Because I enjoyed delving into that Templar/illuminati stuff almost as much as I enjoyed stabbing people.
  • PhatDaemienPhatDaemien928,605
    Posted on 15 January 18 at 00:21
    In reference to the article and the obvious love of Dark Souls I will say that either you love it or hate it. I am of the hate it opinion and the introduction of that template would drive me away from this series extremely fast.

I am also not a fan of mp in this series. I feel that the AC series is about the story and the mp does nothing to further that story. You don't need mp in everything unless you are trying to find another way to bring micro transactions into our lives which I believe most of us are NOT in favor of. That being said, and this being an achievement haven, tying mp achievements into a game when those achievements have no impact on the story seems wrong and the circle jerk boosting that I remember doing in order to complete a few of these games just make me cringe with the thought of what they could do in a future segment of this game.

I am in favor of quality yet I love looking forward to the annual release. I would love to see two story lines come out and have them take turns. One being the Assassin side of the story and the other being the Templar side which was teased so well in Rogue. I loved the way Rogue made us consider the fact that maybe the Assassins were not in the right. There are always two sides to a story (or more) and getting a bi-annual injection from opposing sides would be very nice. With two different sides it would be possible for two different groups to build the games with two year deadlines each and still give us an annual release.

As far as locations go, Japan would be sweet, no doubt, but why not give us a full release of Russia, India, or China with these assassins that we met and got to know a little? I like falling in love with my Assassin (or Templar if it were given to us again) and I think it would be great to get another series within this series to give us a chance to have another Ezio. I also believe there are a million other locations that would be fantastic for them to travel to. Why not give us a WWI and WWII trilogy. Why not have an Assassin or Templar be behind the assassination of the Kaiser in Germany for instance?

Yes, I want more, I am a junkie, but I don't think changing all of the mechanics of the game would make me very happy. I am having a hard time adjusting to the new combat system yet I like it a lot. This is no different to changing complete games on a regular basis which I believe most achievement whores do anyways, right?

All in all, the sci-fi needs some filling in and filling out. So much of it has left so many holes and a previous suggestion of going to that ancient civilization and letting us be a part of the revolt could be a fantastic stand-alone entry into the series. But it couldn't be called Origins like it would actually be! I would love to play that strictly for story reasons.

It would be hard for Ubisoft to mess this up but not impossible. I look forward to seeing where it actually goes.
    The meaning of life is to wait. No matter what you do you are waiting for something even if you are just waiting for something to wait for.
  • matdanmatdan796,018
    Posted on 15 January 18 at 00:40
    Given how many of the Assassin's they mentioned in previous games I could see it being in a number of places or even go back to using one of the many infamous Templars:
    The Mongolian Brotherhood has one of the most accomplished Assassin's in the order.

The Chinese Brotherhood would have a lot of interesting and unique weapons to go with plus loads of vague history they could play around with.

Spanish Brotherhood seen in the movie but not much is said about them or what they did.
    Or they could go back to the US and visit the Civil War period, plenty of Templar happenings there surely.

The future part died with Assassin's Creed III, without a coherent plot or central character I lost track of it after that point.
    Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon, Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath!
  • Posted on 15 January 18 at 02:05
    Im still largely of the opinion that sooner or later were going to have to deel fully with the Brotherhood and the Templars going at it fully in the here and now, and that's soemthing I want to see.
  • Posted on 15 January 18 at 03:23
    I agree AC should end!
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo262,160
    Posted on 15 January 18 at 04:57
    I want to see a stronger stealth component next iteration, as well as s feudal Japan setting with no modern-day gameplay
    'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
  • TheMaizeTheMaize1,362,164
    Posted on 15 January 18 at 05:12
    MugenKairo said:
    I want to see a stronger stealth component next iteration, as well as s feudal Japan setting with no modern-day gameplay
    wouldnt that be better as a completely new franchise?

i mean...assassins creed without the modern-day gameplay is not assassins creed. you could easily build up a new franchise on a stealthy ninjaassassin though.
  • kintariskintaris322,249
    Posted on 15 January 18 at 07:20
    PhatDaemien said:
    In reference to the article and the obvious love of Dark Souls I will say that either you love it or hate it.
    Hahaha, check my achievement percentage for Dark Souls... wink

I can appreciate aspects of what Dark Souls was trying to do, but no - absolutely not saying the entire format should be replicated. Watch Dogs leaned heavily on DS' multiplayer ideas but that game is of course nothing like Dark Souls as a whole.

Thanks for all of your thoughts though, interesting read!
  • kintariskintaris322,249
    Posted on 15 January 18 at 07:22
    MugenKairo said:
    In all seriousness, if you have a PS4 you should keep an eye on Ghost of Tsushima.
  • Seven ClipSeven Clip364,502
    Posted on 15 January 18 at 08:06
    I would love to see them add some stuff that makes me want to keep playing it after I beat it. They created a beautiful world but not enough post game material to keep me playing after completion. You can do some races, go to the arena, do the daily quest and just play around re-clearing bases.

I love RPGs so if they went further in that direction with maybe a loot system like borderlands or a paragon level system like diablo would be awesome. Also a replayable game mode similar to the drug wars from gta 4 would be fun.
  • Springbok NLSpringbok NL721,898
    Posted on 15 January 18 at 11:33
    Or killing nazi generals and Gestapo officers as a member of the Resistance in a WW2-setting smile
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 15 January 18 at 11:44
    get rid of it, enough is enough, great games from what ive played so far but let it die and be remembered fondly, not like what disney is doing to star wars, from which i will NEVER watch any but the original 6
  • Posted on 15 January 18 at 13:13, Edited on 15 January 18 at 13:16 by I8ITackyticsI8I
    XPhiles in IA said:
    get rid of it, enough is enough, great games from what ive played so far but let it die and be remembered fondly, not like what disney is doing to star wars, from which i will NEVER watch any but the original 6
    Why? Episode 1 and 2 were absolutely horrible whereas 7 and 8 are actually pretty good. I actually was really surprised by the quality of 8. Also George Lucas was ruining Star Wars with his continuous remasters - adding useless CGI, changing sequences and replacing characters and voices.

Just to play devil's advocate, although I agree Multiplayer should not be brought back, I do miss wolfpack. That was really fun. I'm enjoying playing it again in Black Flag at the moment (Xbox One version - previously played it on the 360)

Daedski said:
    I know I was probably in the minority, but I personally loved the multiplayer of Assassins Creed. I spent countless hours on it Brotherhood and Revelations, but dropped off it in 3 very quickly, mainly because 3 was such a disappointing game overall. I'd actually welcome a return of the deathmatch etc modes.
    I've said it before numerous times, but AC3 is my favourite creed game, and the multiplayer in that game was surprisingly good. Being rewarded with exposed secrets about the templars as you level up? Yes please. Actual rewards for progress are good. Also the introduction of wolfpack mode was amazing - they only made wolfpack too easy in black flag so this was the best version.

Origins is probably now my second favourite, followed by Brotherhood.
  • Stansbury76Stansbury76555,127
    Posted on 15 January 18 at 14:10, Edited on 15 January 18 at 14:24 by Stansbury76
    I remember the ezio time like it was yesterday and also how ubisoft asked on facebook which location we want to see AC. For me it was clear it must be egypt and japan or china. It took long time to come true. I did not expect that egypt will be the reborn of the Franchise and china a small 2d side scroller. So i have to say its not what i expected. Im a big fan of the egypt Mythology and zombies, so it was clear for me that mummy must be a big part in a way of horde mode or at least in a boss fight. Well i got a mummy skin nice but to answer the question how they should continue i first need to say Japan was so disapointed and serious a big lost of potential in my opinion. Really assassins and ninjas do i really need to say more? No I would say the problem really was that they did not take enough time between each game and most important if we look back to the first 2 AC and Revelations the ballance between first civilization and location story, desmond and ezio, past and future was perfect. If you know what i mean. I always thought and still do that it continue till the 20th Century or first civilization and will be the main location. We know that watch dogs plays in the same universe, hard to say how they would make that possible without feeling like that so i belive that will not happen. Sorry i lost the point. They made a great combat system. The boss fights was a big suprise but they was poor, not really challenging in my opinion and to make them as an event was pointless. For PvP i would say they should add pvp to the arena or take the combat system and make something like for honor. For Co-Op i would say they should take the boss fights and make them more challenging and like destiny or a hord mode. What i really hope they finally can make is that they find away to add a good PvP or Co-Op mode without ruin the game. I know they want to add something to the game that keeps people playing after completion but they Start the Franchise without it and it was great. I understand that today multiplayer is a big part for much people and everybody wants to still have something to do after completing the game. So i hope they find a way. For the Franchise it self they should keep what they make great, give us the Experience like we had at the beginning and continue the story. Now we know how the brotherhood is born but we don't want to see it end now. Maybe we see how the templars will be born now and i hope to see japan with that combat system, stronger stealth component and that they went further in that RPG direction.
  • Posted on 15 January 18 at 16:53, Edited on 15 January 18 at 16:54 by I8ITackyticsI8I
    Spacing dude..

You also said that Japan did and didn't have potential in the same wall of text and said it takes place in the same universe as Watch Dogs, which I'm assuming is incorrect.

You shouldn't have expected a boss fight against mummies as mummification takes place after death. The game tries to be loyal to history (although there were some mythical references/missions like fights against gods and FFXV tie in, so not out of the realms of possibility but was always going to be unlikely)

What difficulty did you play it on? The elephant challenges were rock hard on hard mode and the last fight at the end of the story was also really tough.

I played on Hard mode with level scaling all the way through. It felt like that was how it was meant to be played.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.