Game Discussion: Celeste Forum

You can unlock achievements in assist mode.

AuthorMessage
Our Afflictions
Posted on 08 January 19 at 01:10, Edited on 08 January 19 at 01:10 by Our Afflictions
Living Legends said:
I enjoy when people still use their opinions as facts and try to use that mind set for their every day debates.

If only they dedicates this much time into understanding instead of posting rethorical statements over and over.

Same mindset like cronus max, getting all riled up because we did a different method.
Using a cronus max to replace the lack of mechanical skill isn't "doing a different method" its blatant cheating. You're not capable of doing what's required so you watch a controller do it for you.

If that's what you want from your "achievements" that's pretty sad. laugh

In this case though, the devs decided to leave the achievements active for assist mode so if that's how you want to play the game I don't see the problem.
Gensui Akainu
Gensui Akainu
Posted on 08 January 19 at 01:23
It's just that telling people who want to cheese trough a game you love a wrong time estimate isn't going to make them change their minds nor is it smart or helpful.
We have whole WTs about how to complete games in a way that probably isn't the developers intended way to do so (Minecraft,Ark,Conan exiles).
It's okay for those games and so it is for Celeste.
Fear The People
Posted on 08 January 19 at 02:35
Its in the game. It isn't hacking or using glitches. They were put there by the devs to use.

What does it matter to you how people play the game? How does someone choosing to play with cheats on affect you in any way? If someone doesnt want to go through some frustrating platforming and just wants some easy achievements then so what!?

Im about to start this game and i fully intend to cheese my way through most of it. But il probably have fun doing so and i dont give a damn what other people think about it.
Rossco7530
Rossco7530
Posted on 08 January 19 at 03:25
At the end of the day that's why TA has an Investigation Team, right? They can decide what's right and what's wrong.

Just another person on an achievement hunting website getting pissy about people getting achievements the most efficient way, which seems to happen on every other thread. It's the curse of TA growing in popularity, I guess.
Living Legends
Posted on 08 January 19 at 07:49, Edited on 08 January 19 at 07:57 by Living Legends
Our Afflictions said:
Living Legends said:
I enjoy when people still use their opinions as facts and try to use that mind set for their every day debates.

If only they dedicates this much time into understanding instead of posting rethorical statements over and over.

Same mindset like cronus max, getting all riled up because we did a different method.
Using a cronus max to replace the lack of mechanical skill isn't "doing a different method" its blatant cheating. You're not capable of doing what's required so you watch a controller do it for you.

If that's what you want from your "achievements" that's pretty sad. laugh

In this case though, the devs decided to leave the achievements active for assist mode so if that's how you want to play the game I don't see the problem.
Setting up a script to walk to the other side and kill people is no different than me running there. Setting one up to auto run games or perform the same function to not drop out of a game and be able to idle is not cheating. The difference is that a program is running doing the same thing I could do
you just sit there assuming I use it for whatever game you think I use it for.

It just sounds stupid to sit there and repeatedly do the same button presses to get the same result if I left a program doing it.

Like fear 2 ring boosting, who wants to sit there for a hundred hours flicking the left stick forward and back when a script does it and I can go play on the Xbox one. I don't think ring boosting or seriously 2.0 is such a skilled task.

It is just an ASSIST tool. You can manually press to respawn in hardline while I let the program do it. Such a skill to spawn in to die
that I am circumventing. Same as perfect dark zero, all my.matxhes can be scripted or manually started. I'll take the easy approach and gain achievements while I do other things.

But of course, you know exactly what I use my devices for and just went on a rant about it. Nice going there bud
MF Draco
MF Draco
Posted on 08 January 19 at 14:44, Edited on 08 January 19 at 14:45 by MF Draco
I have just completed the game, 29/30 is pretty easy and can be done by using an assist mode (non of the achievements are missable), the most difficult thing is to get to level 31 in arcade mode, because you have to play it legitemely (it isn't so hard, but very frustrating and time consuming, it took me about 1 hour and nearly 600 deaths), YOU DON'T HAVE TO COLLECT STRAWBERRIES IN THAT GAME MODE! Fair enough, I recommend playing some chapters without any assists so you'll be better prepared for arcade mode. It took me 6.5 hours to complete the game.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 08 January 19 at 14:54, Edited on 08 January 19 at 15:05 by Awoo
You weak-ass Cronus arguments have been utterly destroyed before, don't embarrass yourself further. You were the one who brought it up here, so don't be surprised by the reaction, especially since you did not initially specify that you were only referring to grinding scripts (because you weren't). Either way it doesn't compare to this in any way since it's not a "different method", it's using outside devices and programs to manipulate a game, something that in every provable instance is seen as cheating. Assist mode is an intended part of the game by the developers, and thus fair game as far as achievements go. You have no moral high ground here.

Also seems like people are just incapable of reading either of our lengthy posts on page 2, so I'm not gonna bother reiterating apart from: using assist mode in the way implied by most here severely lessens the sense of accomplishment this game does very well, and is a direct insult to the amazing level design. If you don't care about enjoying video games and only want achievements, go play an ACA game or something. Also, if you truly are so irreparably bad at platformers that you can't even envision yourself getting better, then first of all that's close minded as hell, and secondly, again, go play something else.
What can change the nature of a man?
Living Legends
Posted on 08 January 19 at 15:49
Awoo said:
You weak-ass Cronus arguments have been utterly destroyed before, don't embarrass yourself further. You were the one who brought it up here, so don't be surprised by the reaction, especially since you did not initially specify that you were only referring to grinding scripts (because you weren't). Either way it doesn't compare to this in any way since it's not a "different method", it's using outside devices and programs to manipulate a game, something that in every provable instance is seen as cheating. Assist mode is an intended part of the game by the developers, and thus fair game as far as achievements go. You have no moral high ground here.

Also seems like people are just incapable of reading either of our lengthy posts on page 2, so I'm not gonna bother reiterating apart from: using assist mode in the way implied by most here severely lessens the sense of accomplishment this game does very well, and is a direct insult to the amazing level design. If you don't care about enjoying video games and only want achievements, go play an ACA game or something. Also, if you truly are so irreparably bad at platformers that you can't even envision yourself getting better, then first of all that's close minded as hell, and secondly, again, go play something else.
Destroyed before? Moral high ground?

Nah buddy, I just defended a device saying that is perfectly fine to use by site standards and not Awoo's standards. I don't need to explain my business to you or anybody else on what I use the device for but seeing people go unhinged on assumptions made because their head is stuck up their ass is laughable.

Once again seeing as how they manipulate and change the course of gaming is your opinion being shoved down as a fact. We can agree to disagree but at least I don't try to attack people on the site for tracking privileges, gaming preferences or other things for asking questions on the site. Throwing your opinions and just being arrogant because you don't agree with something
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 08 January 19 at 18:05
Awoo said:
Maybe people care about having fun, and not having a sense of accomplishment? Maybe people want to play games for fun, and not practice and get better? Maybe all they wanna do after a long work day is to sit and have fun, and simply relax?

Once again, as you seem totally incapable of understanding it, you need to STOP TELLING PEOPLE HOW TO PLAY THEIR GAMES. Will you ever learn that the way YOU enjoy video games may not be the same as SOMEONE ELSE? Get that through your thick skull once and for all.

People here are not the ones being close-minded here, you are.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
MMMDI
MMMDI
Posted on 08 January 19 at 18:38
I just want to use assist mode now. What will I have to do legitimately without using that?
planting42
planting42
Posted on 08 January 19 at 20:34, Edited on 08 January 19 at 20:35 by planting42
Awoo said:
Also, if you truly are so irreparably bad at platformers that you can't even envision yourself getting better, then first of all that's close minded as hell, and secondly, again, go play something else.
Go post somewhere else. You don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you what to do. Deal?

MMMDI said:
I just want to use assist mode now. What will I have to do legitimately without using that?
The only achievement you can't get with assists is:
CelesteSecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Celeste worth 47 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement
Tendoman77
Tendoman77
Posted on 08 January 19 at 21:24
So I just finished the game doing most of it in assist mode.

And to be honest? I have no regrets, I seen how extreme a LOT of the later levels plus obviously the B and C side levels get in terms of difficulty. I just simply don't have all the time and patience in the world so I'm grateful for the assist mode.

Whether people agree or disagree with assist mode not disabling achievements, at least the option is there anytime if you finally had enough of doing the game legit at the tail end especially. And if you prefer having the time to do it all legit then good for you, I respect that. Just don't insult people who just prefer to get a move on in life and at least enjoyed the game for the art style and amazing soundtrack like I have.
SpiralGamerpro
SpiralGamerpro
Posted on 09 January 19 at 00:32
Living Legends said:
Awoo said:
You weak-ass Cronus arguments have been utterly destroyed before, don't embarrass yourself further. You were the one who brought it up here, so don't be surprised by the reaction, especially since you did not initially specify that you were only referring to grinding scripts (because you weren't). Either way it doesn't compare to this in any way since it's not a {#}different method{#}, it's using outside devices and programs to manipulate a game, something that in every provable instance is seen as cheating. Assist mode is an intended part of the game by the developers, and thus fair game as far as achievements go. You have no moral high ground here.

Destroyed before? Moral high ground?

Nah buddy, I just defended a device saying that is perfectly fine to use by site standards and not Awoo's standards. I don't need to explain my business to you or anybody else on what I use the device for but seeing people go unhinged on assumptions made because their head is stuck up their ass is laughable.

Once again seeing as how they manipulate and change the course of gaming is your opinion being shoved down as a fact. We can agree to disagree but at least I don't try to attack people on the site for tracking privileges, gaming preferences or other things for asking questions on the site. Throwing your opinions and just being arrogant because you don't agree with something
Just going back to that thread, the issue in question was that the guy using the macro wasn't creating it for the sake of a grindy achievement. Rather, he was using it for a skill-based achievement that he didn't have the skill to achieve. The achievement in question requires about 5 minutes of precise inputs, and instead of developing the motor skills to actually obtain the achievement legitimately, he developed a program to do the inputs for him.

There's a big difference between using a macro for a boring grind that requires no skill (that's perfectly fine) and using a macro for something that is entirely based on skill and precision. Where do we draw the line? When somebody makes a macro to do Deathsmiles for themselves? When somebody makes a macro to FC Guitar Hero and Rock Band songs (oh wait)? The fact of the matter remains that you are dismissing this macro issue as if people only use CronusMax or TitanOne devices for grindy achievements, and while people do that for the most part, using such a device as a substitute for player skill in SKILL-BASED ACHIEVEMENTS definitely seems to be crossing a line of integrity.

If you are cheating achievements using external devices, then you shouldn't get offended when people tell you how to play your games the correct way.
There's a Pall Mall somewhere on Everest
planting42
planting42
Posted on 09 January 19 at 01:12
SpiralGamerpro said:
If you are cheating achievements using external devices, then you shouldn't get offended when people tell you how to play your games the correct way.
Everyone is entitled to their own wrong opinion.
Evandalist
Evandalist
Posted on 09 January 19 at 10:02, Edited on 09 January 19 at 10:04 by Evandalist
If there's one thing I truly love about this website and its niche community it's when said niche community fractures in to two or more even smaller niche groups who then attack each other over which side plays their games the right way, or which side is more hardcore than the other.

I imagine it's a lot like being a med student studying mental illness up close for the first time, or being a wildlife biologist witnessing siblicide in nature.

Now, if you lames will excuse me, I gotta get back to trying to complete Onigiri blindfolded while a live rattlesnake chews on my ballsack. You know, like a real gamer.
Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
Throni360
Throni360
Posted on 09 January 19 at 10:33
Thank you for the tip. I'll make sure to use it.

Keep bringing the salt. It's good seasoning for the dropping ratios.
The Allslayer
The Allslayer
Posted on 09 January 19 at 11:14
Throni360 said:
Thank you for the tip. I'll make sure to use it.

Keep bringing the salt. It's good seasoning for the dropping ratios.
That doesn't even make sense...oh it's Throni no wonder laugh
BPBPBPBPBPBPBP
Posted on 09 January 19 at 16:15
Anybody who plays Dead Rising Infinite mode and quits as soon as they get to day 8 (for the 7 day survivor achievement) should just go to hell. The devs wanted you to survive as long as possible and accomplish something, not a half assed achievement. Maybe a firing squad should be called in. angry warning roll
Dead Rising Survivalist: 17d 07h 01m 34s (PS4 ; 2nd), 17d 07h 00m 18s (Xbox One ; 2nd) Xbox 360 : 17d 07h 00m (hacked leaderboard)
Maxumilli0n
Maxumilli0n
Posted on 09 January 19 at 18:17
I'm going to play ACA NEO GEO Cyber Lip. Change my mind.
OhMyGoth1
OhMyGoth1
Posted on 11 January 19 at 04:01
I remember when people played video games to have fun. Those were good times.

In the meantime, I need to run to the store and pick up some more popcorn toast
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.