Game Discussion: Celeste Forum

You can unlock achievements in assist mode.

AuthorMessage
Travisssimo
Travisssimo
Posted on 28 January 18 at 21:59
Hey guys, just wanted to let anyone who is curious know: I can confirm that turning on assist mode does not disable achievements. I unlocked

CelesteSecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Celeste worth 66 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

by blasting through the B side challenge with infinite boost and invincibility, which of course provided no challenge whatsoever. So I’m assuming that this applies to every other achievement in the game as well. So much for difficult achievements! Oh well, the game is still amazing.

I strongly recommend trying to get all the achievements without assist mode, since this is pretty much the best 2d platformer I have ever played. You’ll be missing out if you just fly through it.
LOST Nr
LOST Nr
Posted on 29 January 18 at 00:37, Edited on 29 January 18 at 00:41 by LOST Nr
That is very unfortunate ...

The only two achievements I have left are those for clearing all C-Side levels and the one for getting a 1Up (no idea how to get that one) and I haven't turned Assist mode on yet nor will I to get them.

Makes me sad that they didn't disable achievements when playing in Assist mode because at that point why even have 'difficult' achievements when you can have infinite boost and invincibility? Some other games did it right in the past by disabling achievements when using certain options or cheats.

Especially considering how carefully crafted all of the levels are and how they require you to be close to perfect later on and in the B/C-Side levels.

Considering the difficulty of the game (without Assist mode) one can't help but wonder what the ratio for the game could've been.
shosteyPL
shosteyPL
Posted on 30 January 18 at 06:29
1 UP is actually pretty easy to get. There are some videos on youtube already.
LOST Nr
LOST Nr
Posted on 30 January 18 at 10:03
Yeah I watched a video on how to get 1Up.

Finished the game now without ever enabling Assist mode. Feels good.

Figuring out some of the B/C-Sides and then executing to finish them was pretty rough.
Jakez123
Jakez123
Posted on 30 January 18 at 11:50
Yea, I just used assist mode. But then again, I was primarily the person who solved the 1-up achievements and the crystal hearts, so I gave my input anyway.
ronald84
ronald84
Posted on 31 January 18 at 17:18
just finished b-side 1 to 4 without assist and was wondering how so many people already done this, kind of a bummer to read you can use assist mode.
LOST Nr
LOST Nr
Posted on 31 January 18 at 21:26
I agree. Their reasoning for including Assist mode is that they wanted to make the game more accessible, as far as I know. Now, wether or not they succeeded or simply stripped the game of any challenge completely is up for debate and I don't want to get into that here.

I also certainly wont hold it against anyone for using Assist mode. Everybody can play the game the way they want, of course.

But not disabling achievements for using the mode feels like either an oversight, at best, or a slap in the face to the people who choose to learn the game, evolve, to adapt, overcome and reach the end - much like the main character in the game on her way to the summit.

Kinda funny when you think about it that way, ins't it?

Anyway, no more rambling from me - it's a good game and things are what they are. Everybody enjoy the game, Assist mode or not.
OdadjianActual
Posted on 01 February 18 at 15:33
Here is the developer's explanation. Post #24 from this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/504230/discussions/0/169265976...

I was upset when I thought it was an oversight - when I thought the developer misunderstood what achievements work like. But the explanation below shows me it's not an oversight but a conscious decision. I'm fine with that.

It was a conscious decision to allow players in Assist Mode to still unlock achievements.

Achievements, for us, are not status symbols, and it would be counter to the philosophy of Celeste to treat them that way. For us, they're a fun way to commemorate your progress. Or in some cases they function like a dare - a "try to figure out how to do this!" from developer to player.

We don't think that a player who enjoys Celeste in Assist Mode is playing the game "wrong", or is somehow less deserving of taking part in the achievements system. If you're interested in collecting the achievements we want you to do so in the way that is most fun and rewarding for you, whether that is with or without Assist Mode.
"My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer."
Travisssimo
Travisssimo
Posted on 02 February 18 at 00:32
It was a conscious decision to allow players in Assist Mode to still unlock achievements.
I find it interesting that the developer thinks that way, seeing as how Towerfall, their previous game, has some incredibly tough achievements that don’t allow any assist mode, and also 2 unobtainable achievements due to glitches.

I’m glad to see that they at least put in some thought and made sure the achievements work this time.
SDREW44
SDREW44
Posted on 04 February 18 at 21:04
What Exactly does Assist Mode Do for you? And can every Achievement Be Obtained in this mode?
NutriWhip
NutriWhip
Posted on 11 March 18 at 03:03
There was an update recently. Can anyone confirm if you can still unlock achievements with assist mode?
Heraizen
Heraizen
Posted on 26 March 18 at 04:39
NutriWhip said:
There was an update recently. Can anyone confirm if you can still unlock achievements with assist mode?
Yes, just got all the achievements in assist mode on the 25th of March 2018.

The developers have also acknowledged the decision to unlock achievements in assist mode so I don't think it is something they will change.

SDREW44 said:
What Exactly does Assist Mode Do for you? And can every Achievement Be Obtained in this mode?
Assist Mode gives you some options that basically act like cheat codes: Invincible, Game Speed, Infinite Dashes.

You can unlock every achievement in this mode except the PICO-8 minigame won't have dashes or invincibility.
Cakau
Cakau
Posted on 03 January 19 at 04:58
Allowing achievements in this game to be obtained in assist mode has got to be the SHITIEST game design decision ever made of all time.
xl KaZaR lx
xl KaZaR lx
Posted on 03 January 19 at 07:26
Cakau said:
Allowing achievements in this game to be obtained in assist mode has got to be the SHITIEST game design decision ever made of all time.
I can't imagine me be happy to unlock achievements on assist mode , that take off all the value of Completed a videogame..
Fatman2008
Fatman2008
Posted on 03 January 19 at 08:06
Don't understand how everyone is complaining in the forum. Everyone has a choice when it comes to how to play this game.

You can take the challenging route and keep it in your backlog or you can fly through it, get a understanding of the story and go to the next game. What is there to really complain about. It is called giving the player a choice.

When you guys play Jack n Jill dx, Avatar, Energy Cycle or any other easy game for any competition that is on this site nobody complains. 🤔🤔

Last time I check this is a website people go to on how to unlock or boost achievements😂😂🤔😒
Marcus Stevenson
ImJustYourDaddy
Posted on 04 January 19 at 05:06, Edited on 04 January 19 at 05:07 by ImJustYourDaddy
Fatman2008 said:
Don't understand how everyone is complaining in the forum. Everyone has a choice when it comes to how to play this game.

You can take the challenging route and keep it in your backlog or you can fly through it, get a understanding of the story and go to the next game. What is there to really complain about. It is called giving the player a choice.

When you guys play Jack n Jill dx, Avatar, Energy Cycle or any other easy game for any competition that is on this site nobody complains. 🤔🤔

Last time I check this is a website people go to on how to unlock or boost achievements😂😂🤔😒
I mean, people do complain when people complete easy stuff, but I agree. I'm having a blast playing through it legit and only have the C-Sides left (started on the 7th one cuz it's the hardest, so far have put in 1:40:00 into trying to beat the final part of it...), but it's not like I give a shit if someone takes the easy route
Santino
SlavenBOSS
SlavenBOSS
Posted on 04 January 19 at 13:44
If you complete it without assist then good for you, and you should be happy and proud.
Do it for yourself not for other people.
OdadjianActual
Posted on 04 January 19 at 14:18
Cakau said:
I find this to be a really sad mindset.
"My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer."
ImJustYourDaddy
Posted on 04 January 19 at 15:23
SlavenBOSS said:
If you complete it without assist then good for you, and you should be happy and proud.
Do it for yourself not for other people.
+1
Santino
Aloriain
Aloriain
Posted on 05 January 19 at 19:30
Anyone got an estimate on completion time using assist mode?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.