TA Playlist Forum

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

Ryse: Son of Rome Discussion - Spoilers

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 31 January 18 at 23:59
Welcome back to another TA Playlist month. Use this thread to speak freely about Ryse: Son of Rome and assume anything goes in here.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 01 February 18 at 16:41
Has anyone played the game on the PC? IIRC, the PC version is native 4K whereas the X1 version has not been enhanced for the X1X. Can anyone confirm or deny?
SilentExiledOne
Posted on 01 February 18 at 18:58
Good luck to the 100%ers this month. Completed this last year. Really enjoyed the game the visuals were amazing but the multiplayer can be a real grind.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 01 February 18 at 19:04
I really enjoyed this game, the game is so short I didn’t mind a second playthrough either. I thought the main guy spearing Cesear off the edge where he fell to his death on top of the sword was one of the coolest deaths I’ve seen, I replayed the end just to watch it again.

If they made a sequel besides tweaking the repetitive gameplay I would want them to make a decision about including Gods in this game. Either include them and make them important to the story or don’t have them in it at all. They tried to walk the line and it just made me wonder why they were in it at all.

The gods made more sense in the MP than the main story since a certain one would give you a certain perk. In the main story they mostly woke you up when you were unconscious.
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 02 February 18 at 07:37, Edited on 02 February 18 at 07:38 by GRAND NOBLE
i started a new game today to get reacquainted with the controls and THIS TIME started to like the game.

I got all the way through levels 1-5, and stopped at the beginning of level 6. I think there's only 8 lol.

I'd already gotten 8 achvs from UHH and i think 12 days or something like that.

Got another 10 today.

Liking it so far!

I just beat the big ass boss GLOTT in the forest with all the fire around. FUCK! I'm playing on the easiest difficult and it took FOREVER to kill him! I never died. It just took so long to whittle down his health!!!!
Ryse: Son of RomeSecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Ryse: Son of Rome worth 38 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement
Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
Stealth David
Stealth David
Posted on 02 February 18 at 19:57
I hope no one reads this thread before the ending :) great game
Follow me on Twitter for giveaways @StealthDavid
ThaHawka
ThaHawka
Posted on 02 February 18 at 21:10, Edited on 03 February 18 at 09:02 by ThaHawka
One of the earliest Xbox One titles I played. Completed the story then, but can’t remember it! I’ve since finished the game and all it’s mp, and found the latter to be very quick when my partner and I got into it!
I have an extensive collection of games, so don't hesitate to message me if you see a game in my game collection that you'd like to work on together!
a44Special
a44Special
Posted on 03 February 18 at 02:29
great game very under a appreciated
All gave some, some gave all.
TarasqueAC
TarasqueAC
Posted on 03 February 18 at 08:20, Edited on 03 February 18 at 08:23 by TarasqueAC
ThaHawka said:
For TA to ‘register’ my inclusion in the playlist event, need I download/start up the game again despite completing it?
Just by writing this comment, you already are registered to have participated in the TA Event....

Edit: Just looked at the FAQ on TA Playlist - Frequently Asked Questions

How do I participate?
You participate by playing the game, sharing your thoughts in the forums, and uploading game clips. We hope you'll do all of it -- even replay the game if it's not fresh on your mind -- but any way you choose to participate is encouraged.
Cylon 118
Cylon 118
Posted on 04 February 18 at 18:22
Well ive just completed my first playthrough of the campaign and really enjoyed it except for a few of the later bosses who I found rather tedious and annoying as you can really only hit them once before waiting for another moment to strike and this is in sharp contrast to the rest of the games combat which is about opening up moments yourself allowing you to kill of large groups really quickly so these bosses just really slowed things down.
Looking forward to seeing how hard legendary difficulty is as I like games on their hardest settings usually and of course getting into the multiplayer hoping it wont be to much of a grind but we shall see.
Really liked the story, not complicated but very well put together although maybe more should have been done with the gods as including them and not really using them seams like a mistake. They just seem to wake Marrius up a lot which seems to be why this game is called ryse in my opinion as all it is every level is getting back up after a fall!
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 05 February 18 at 16:24
Cylon 118 said:
Well ive just completed my first playthrough of the campaign and really enjoyed it except for a few of the later bosses who I found rather tedious and annoying as you can really only hit them once before waiting for another moment to strike and this is in sharp contrast to the rest of the games combat which is about opening up moments yourself allowing you to kill of large groups really quickly so these bosses just really slowed things down.
Looking forward to seeing how hard legendary difficulty is as I like games on their hardest settings usually and of course getting into the multiplayer hoping it wont be to much of a grind but we shall see.
Really liked the story, not complicated but very well put together although maybe more should have been done with the gods as including them and not really using them seams like a mistake. They just seem to wake Marrius up a lot which seems to be why this game is called ryse in my opinion as all it is every level is getting back up after a fall!
I could really only tell two differences going to legendary mode. You loose more health from being hit and the health you get back from executions is much less. Legendary mode was a bit of a disappointment, the enemies aren’t smarter or bring new tactics they just hit harder. I completed legendary mode faster than my first playthrough beacause I was better and I wasn’t looking for collectibles.
Mr Granstaff
Mr Granstaff
Posted on 05 February 18 at 20:33
This was a great launch title and wish there were more like this. I won't declare it a perfect game, but I didn't have any complaints about it either.

Hopefully there's a sequel or some sort of followup because it was a pleasure to play through.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." — Mark Twain
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 05 February 18 at 23:22
I haven't finished the campaign yet (almost done).

Haven't started the MP. I've heard some people say it's great. and others say it's a total drag.

Opinions?
Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
TymanTheLong
TymanTheLong
Posted on 06 February 18 at 01:55
GRAND NOBLE said:
I haven't finished the campaign yet (almost done).

Haven't started the MP. I've heard some people say it's great. and others say it's a total drag.

Opinions?
I think it just really depends on the player. Read a guide so you understand basically how it works. It's not very intuitive how to keep the crowd excited.
xSRYANx
xSRYANx
Posted on 06 February 18 at 03:07, Edited on 06 February 18 at 03:08 by xSRYANx
I think this game is severely underrated, due to being a launch title. Sure, once you get the fighting down there is a repetition issue, but I still found myself enjoying the executions well into finishing the game. The story is absolutely nothing to write home about, and I was more impressed with the setpieces themselves.

I think for a launch game, it was absolutely excellent. A new IP, showed the graphical prowess of the system, and had a nice little multiplayer mode to jump into. Although, those achievements are a real grind I haven’t been able to commit myself too.
Pete111111
Pete111111
Posted on 06 February 18 at 20:05
Really loved this game, thought the visuals were spot on. Was there any talk about a 4K upgrade?
ShadyShall
ShadyShall
Posted on 07 February 18 at 16:56, Edited on 07 February 18 at 16:57 by ShadyShall
Loved the story. Legendary was tough but i wasn't bored going through the game a second time because you have to play much differently on the harder difficulty.

I posted this in another thread, but t is my thoughts on the game...

My main style of games are FPS and Lego. Recently, I decided to try a few things outside of my comfort zone, mainly by taking advantage of GwG titles. One of the genres I opened up to is Hack ‘n’ Slash. Force Unleashed (I and II) and Darksiders are the ones I had tried before Ryse. They were both fun and engaging enough to make me try another. I did download Ryse when it was free and even bought the season pass on sale too, figuring I’d eventually get to it. But I was kind of holding back on starting this because of two things: the 200 rank grind (I am a completionist) and the buggy achievements. When it became a TA playlist, I decided to go ahead and start. I immediately liked the game and was pulled in by the story and fun gameplay. The graphics are fantastic. Really impressive (especially for a title that is now over 4 years old). I finished the story in basically 2 play sessions. Then I started Legendary and HOLY CRAP I was not ready for that. I made it to the end of level 2 on the steps at the final assault with Leonidas and was just STUCK. I couldn’t get past more than 5 or 6 guys without being demolished. I immediately started thinking I bit off more than I could chew with the game… but then I did some reading, watched some videos, and realized I was playing completely wrong for the Legendary setting. It is very true you need to adjust your style of play you probably developed in “soldier” difficulty. I made some tweaks, took it slow, and played defensively when attacked by groups, and immediately did better. I did a marathon run and breezed through the rest of the levels in a single sitting… adjusting the play style was not only the key, but kind of what made me appreciate the game more. Many games are just “harder” on higher difficulties, but on Ryse, if you were playing a lower difficulty and became accustomed to playing a certain way (in my case, very offensively), chances are you had to change that to survive (in my case, play mostly defense). It was a great experience. I am pretty thrilled this was the playlist for this month – a great excuse to start it. Now, it’s on to the MP grind. My biggest problem is that I simply cannot hold high combos. It’s going to be slow for me but I am determined to finish this by the end of the month. Hit me up if you are on at night looking for a co-op partner.
[url=http://www.trueachievements.com/ShadyShall.htm][img]http://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/ShadyShall.png[/img][/url]
UA Ridge Reaper
Posted on 07 February 18 at 20:50
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Cylon 118 said:
I could really only tell two differences going to legendary mode. You loose more health from being hit and the health you get back from executions is much less. Legendary mode was a bit of a disappointment, the enemies aren’t smarter or bring new tactics they just hit harder. I completed legendary mode faster than my first playthrough beacause I was better and I wasn’t looking for collectibles.
I was kinda worried about how tough Legendary was gonna be but my brother said he breezed right through it.
Jojjojojje
Jojjojojje
Posted on 08 February 18 at 15:56
I doubt i will play through this again for this month, i did not really like the supernatural parts and it really put me off.
TymanTheLong
TymanTheLong
Posted on 08 February 18 at 21:04
UA Ridge Reaper said:
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Cylon 118 said:
I was kinda worried about how tough Legendary was gonna be but my brother said he breezed right through it.
I suck much more than your brother. Hard fights typically take multiple tries for me, I do 1-2 chapters an evening.

I did find a neat way to beat the Barbarian King's daughter (the gal that dual wields two swords) the first time you meet her. You can't stop her initial charge and combo attack, so roll (B) 2 or 3 times in a semi circle around her. Now you need a bit of distance from her, but not so much that you won't attack with one button press. Do a heavy shield bash (hold Y down), if you do it from the correct distance this will ALWAYS interrupt the beginning of her combo, staggering her. Do two light attacks (X), then roll away (B), and immediately do a heavy shield bash again (hold Y). Keep repeating until she retreats. I tried this several times and could do it without taking any damage, which is good, because the guards she calls in are much harder.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.