Community Events Forum

Forum for the Winter Olympics 2018 Contest

Winter Olympics 2018 - Discussion

AuthorMessage
WebChimp UK
WebChimp UK
Posted on 07 February 18 at 12:18
A place to discuss the Winter Olympics 2018 event.
Signature
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 07 February 18 at 13:16, Edited on 07 February 18 at 13:17 by HawkeyeBarry20
Awesome looking event, great job. I hope I win the curling challenge.
Flabyo
Flabyo
Posted on 07 February 18 at 14:11
Now I'm even more impatient to see what the achievement list for Dynasty Warriors 9 is :)
Dragonpwnsz
Dragonpwnsz
Posted on 07 February 18 at 14:12
I have been hoping for this one to come back!
YouTube.com/DrakanGames | PSN: Dragonpwnsz | Steam: Dragonpwnsz | Twitter @Dragonpwnsz | Facebook: Dragonpwnsz
CRUM LEE
CRUM LEE
Posted on 07 February 18 at 14:15
So hyped! :D
JimbotUK
JimbotUK
Posted on 07 February 18 at 14:39
For the Biathlon is it based on ratio at the time of unlock or ratio at the end of the contest?

Either way Monster Hunter looking pretty hot!

Monster Hunter: WorldNowhere to Go but UpThe Nowhere to Go but Up achievement in Monster Hunter: World worth 283 pointsComplete 50 arena quests.
Runner eGirl
Runner eGirl
Posted on 07 February 18 at 14:41
^^ time of unlock, it says so in the FAQ thread
Flabyo
Flabyo
Posted on 07 February 18 at 14:54
The slalom looks to be the most tricky, if I'm following it correctly to get the 'best' score you need to be hitting exactly 1.99, 2.00, 1.99, 2.00 etc...

I think I'll just be happy to complete all the challenges, I don't expect to medal in any of them :)
JimbotUK
JimbotUK
Posted on 07 February 18 at 14:56
Runner eGirl said:
Ah yeah thanks, hadn't spotted the FAQ. Biathlon & Ski Jump going to be pretty trivial based on who can quickly unlock a title update achievement then.
Camello Delgado
Posted on 07 February 18 at 15:29
So all challenges except BIATHLON are unlimited until the period ends or do you complete them after a certain amount of achievements are unlocked?
CrunchyGoblin68
Posted on 07 February 18 at 15:44
Camello Delgado said:
So all challenges except BIATHLON are unlimited until the period ends or do you complete them after a certain amount of achievements are unlocked?
Slalom is limited, need only 10 achievements

You can only do one at a time so you will have to stop doing chair lift and cross country skiing at some point to start something else.
DANIELJJ14
DANIELJJ14
Posted on 07 February 18 at 15:51, Edited on 07 February 18 at 15:58 by DANIELJJ14
JimbotUK said:
Runner eGirl said:
Ah yeah thanks, hadn't spotted the FAQ. Biathlon & Ski Jump going to be pretty trivial based on who can quickly unlock a title update achievement then.
Especially when you consider Better than bacon in Gears of War 4 yesterday. It initially came in at 218 ratio for 4300TA and less than a day later after hundreds of unlocks it’s now 13.2 ratio for 265 points.
Basically unbeatable but it’s a completely untrue representation of the TA and ratio.
Those two sound like a lottery, definitely think it should be changed to TA score and highest ratio at the time of the contest finishing, especially since the ratios on first unlocks recalculate immediately after Rich changed some code for leapfrog. But then if a title update drops on a game on the final day then that could just cheese the win.
Maybe just some sort of caveat about title updates in particular, being manually checked so the overly inflated nature of them doesn’t just cheese some ridiculously high number for an impossible target to beat.

Other than that everything else sounds great and with a further 3 mystery challenges to be revealed, too much hype! smile

Oh and a question, in Cross Country Skiing, is it possible to break a chain by getting a different achievement or is it just a case of it will keep it until you unlock another achievement with the letter you need.
CrunchyGoblin68
Posted on 07 February 18 at 16:33, Edited on 07 February 18 at 16:37 by CrunchyGoblin68
Oh and a question, in Cross Country Skiing, is it possible to break a chain by getting a different achievement or is it just a case of it will keep it until you unlock another achievement with the letter you need.

It is mentioned in Invalid achievement section, progress is not made until the right letter is used, no penalty.
Vok 250
Vok 250
Posted on 07 February 18 at 17:14
This event looks like a ton of fun. I have a couple of new games and a handful of high value achievements ready to pop. Gonna be a blast!

I assume we don't have to do every challenge? Focusing on one challenge would likely be the best way to achieve a medal. It looks like Cross Country skiiing would be the only challenge with no conclusive end, but in theory someone could spend the while month strategically working on the Chair Lift Challenge.

I also have to agree with the above posters regarding TA value at time of unlock. Seems pretty cheesy. For the Biathlon it makes sense because the challenge ends when you unlock the achievement, but for the Ski Jump it should be dynamic.
Cornerscout
Cornerscout
Posted on 07 February 18 at 18:50
This is going to be the first Community Challenge I probably won't complete. I am a little sad about that, but I am already committed to the GTASC.
You should check out my subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gamerscore/
KinectKid333
KinectKid333
Posted on 07 February 18 at 18:58
Cornerscout said:
This is going to be the first Community Challenge I probably won't complete. I am a little sad about that, but I am already committed to the GTASC.
It is not a community challenge, as stated in the FAQ. It is a community event.
Goats be flyin'
Smithy199305
Smithy199305
Posted on 07 February 18 at 19:02
Cornerscout said:
Surely you can do both though, as the score you earn achievements for in this event will also count in the GTASC?
NendoShisu
NendoShisu
Posted on 07 February 18 at 19:13
Yeah GTASC will add up at the same time.

trying to think how I fit this & GTASC in along with real life work!!! laugh
NendoShisu
WebChimp UK
WebChimp UK
Posted on 08 February 18 at 10:37
Hey everyone, we've spotted a couple an issue with the leaderboards on the hub pages - we'll have a fic in place for these shortly. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Signature
Bridge188
Bridge188
Posted on 08 February 18 at 10:50
Hey Chimp - couple of things to report you may not have noticed yet:

Link on my page goes to Winter Olympics 2018 - with never ending spinners where the buttons should be. I'm guessing it's meant to link to bridge188 - where I actually get the buttons to start each challenge.

I've also noticed that if I use the leaderboard to see other gamers' progress, I have buttons to end other people's challenges... I haven't pressed it to check, but I'd like to hope it doesn't do what I think it might laugh
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.