Community Events Forum

Forum for the Winter Olympics 2018 Contest

Winter Olympics 2018 - FAQ

AuthorMessage
WebChimp UK
WebChimp UK
Posted on 07 February 18 at 12:18, Edited on 16 February 18 at 13:12 by WebChimp UK
Here are the main details about the Winter Olympics 2018 event.

Event Details
- The event runs from 10am Thursday 8th February UTC to Monday 10am 26th February UTC
- Registration is open now, and you can register throughout the event until 10am Sunday 25th February UTC
- Anyone can enter, as long as they are registered on the site and have Full tracking
- Challenge Leaderboards and registration details are on the Winter Olympics 2018

Valid Achievements
Achievements only count for the event if they are:
- Won online
- Not challenges
- In games rather than apps

Event Challenges
The event is comprised of 9 different achievement-related challenges. 6 of the challenges are revealed now, with a further 3 challenges to be revealed at 10am 16th February UTC.

Two of the challenges run throughout the entire duration of the event, and will be automatically tracked without you having to do anything to start them (apart from register for the event). Those two challenges are:

Long Track Speed Skating
This challenge is for earning the most achievements during the entire duration of the event. It does not need to be manually started.

Ski Jumping
This challenge is for earning the achievement worth the most TrueAchievement score during the entire duration of the event (stored at the time of scan to the site). It does not need to be manually started.

The next 4 challenges have to be started manually from your personal Winter Olympic event hub - this is accessed from the tab with your GamerTag in on the Winter Olympic hub, or from the link on your Winter Olympic panel on your homepage.

Note: Only one of these challenges can be active at any time.

Giant Slalom
This challenge requires you to unlock 10 achievements that are consecutively above and then below a 2.00 ratio. To clarify:
- Achievement 1 - ratio below 2.00
- Achievement 2 - ratio of exactly 2.00 or above 2.00
- Achievement 3 - ratio below 2.00
- Achievement 10 - ratio of exactly 2.00 or above 2.00

The leaderboard will be ranked by the smallest cumulative difference between the achievements won and 2.00 - so the best possible score is 0.05.

Cross Country Skiing
This is achievement linking challenge - your first achievement can be anything you like, but your next achievement will need to start with the final letter of the first one. The next achievement will need to start with the final letter of that one, and so on.

The leaderboard will be ranked by the longest link of achievements.

Note: Only achievements that start AND end with characters A-Z will count for this. Achievements with accented characters or numerals as the first or last character will not count towards your chain.

Chair Lift
Unlock as many achievements as possible with ratios increasing by at least 0.4 from the previous achievement.

Start low, climb high! The leaderboard will be ranked by the person with the most achievements, and then the highest ratio in the event of a tie.

Biathlon
Spell the word BIATHLON using the first letter of achievement names, in order. The leaderboard is ranked by the highest TA ratio of the N achievement.

Achievements with accented characters or numerals as the first character will not count towards this challenge.

Curling
Earn 8 achievements with a cumulative TrueAchievement points total of 2018. The leaderboard is ranked by the person closest to 2018 (this could be +/-) and then by fastest to complete; ie:

Gamer 1: 2018 TA - Time 1 hour
Gamer 2: 2000 TA - Time 2 hours
Gamer 3: 2036 TA - Time 3 hours

Speed Skating
Earn as much GamerScore as possible within 2 hours - this will activate AFTER clicking the start challenge button and only achievements earned within this two hours will count.

After the two hours is up you can click the end challenge button to officially complete the challenge and appear on the leaderboard.

The leaderboard is ranked by the person with the most GamerScore earned within their two hour time period.

Half Pipe
Unlock 10 achievements, the first with the lowest ratio possible, the next with the highest ratio possible, and so on - the goal is to attain the highest cumulative total of ratio difference.

Achievement 1: 1.0 ratio
Achievement 2: 5.0 ratio - total difference is now 4.0
Achievement 3: 2.0 ratio - total difference is now 7.0
Achievement 4: 9.0 ratio - total difference is now 14.0
etc..

The leaderboard is ranked by the person with the largest difference and then by fastest to complete.

Invalid Achievements
If you have a challenge running and unlock an achievement that does not meet the requirements (so an achievement starting with the wrong letter in the Biathlon or Cross Country Skiing, an achievement the "wrong side" of the 2.00 gate in the Giant Slalom, or an achievement of an insufficiently high ratio in the Chair Lift, the achievement will not count but you will not be penalised for it. The challenge will just continue with the next achievement that IS valid.

Repeating Challenges
You only have one attempt at each challenge - please do not start them until you are ready to go.

Badges
Participating in the event adds to the colour of your Community Events badge. This is not a Community Challenge and will not count towards that badge.

Final Three Challenges Reveal
The rules for the final three challenges will be revealed 10am 16th February UTC.

Winners Panel
The top 3 in each event will receive a panel on their homepage showing off their medals!

Good Luck!
Signature
DrMmmPie
DrMmmPie
Posted on 07 February 18 at 13:47
Time to start preloading like a mo fo
This post is my own opinion, don't hate on it.
Dragonpwnsz
Dragonpwnsz
Posted on 07 February 18 at 14:13
DrMmmPie said:
Time to start preloading like a mo fo
XD
YouTube.com/DrakanGames | PSN: Dragonpwnsz | Steam: Dragonpwnsz | Twitter @Dragonpwnsz | Facebook: Dragonpwnsz
Runner eGirl
Runner eGirl
Posted on 07 February 18 at 14:39
WebChimp UK said:
Long Track Speed Skating
This challenge is for earning the most achievements during the entire duration of the event. It does not need to be manually started.

Ski Jumping
This challenge is for earning the achievement worth the most TrueAchievement score during the entire duration of the event (stored at the time of scan to the site). It does not need to be manually started.
Does this mean only one person will be getting either (or both) of these? Am I reading it right? And if so, how would event completion be established? (seeing as only one person, and potentially no one, will end with all challenges completed)

As a side note, so weird to be considering entering in a winter olympics event... in the middle of summer! (well, for me at least lol)
Flabyo
Flabyo
Posted on 07 February 18 at 14:57
Think of it in terms of everyone who enters at least one achievement will 'complete' those two for the sake of completing the overall challenge, but only three people will medal in each of those events?
KGI Klikopedia
Posted on 07 February 18 at 15:36
Runner eGirl said:
WebChimp UK said:
Long Track Speed Skating

Ski Jumping
Does this mean only one person will be getting either (or both) of these? Am I reading it right? And if so, how would event completion be established? (seeing as only one person, and potentially no one, will end with all challenges completed)

As a side note, so weird to be considering entering in a winter olympics event... in the middle of summer! (well, for me at least lol)
No from the 4 manuals you can only have 1 of them active, every person can choose self what order they do the 4 in.
Mixer & YT: KlikoTV | Twitter: @Klikopedia
Perrsun
Perrsun
Posted on 07 February 18 at 15:43, Edited on 07 February 18 at 15:54 by Perrsun
Runner eGirl said:
WebChimp UK said:
Long Track Speed Skating

Ski Jumping

The way I'm reading it is that only 1 person will "win" those challenges, but anybody registered that unlocks at least 1 achievement will have "completed" it (or maybe it's "participated" in it)... you'd just be at the bottom of the leaderboard if you only got 1 achievement. (Though if a mod wants to clarify/correct me, go for it.)
MinPin
MinPin
Posted on 07 February 18 at 16:49
Just wanted to verify on the Cross Country Skiing - it says the achievement must start and end with a letter - does that include the final achievement of the chain? Could that end with something else, since it won't be chaining to anything? Or the first begin with something else? Thanks!
Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the Bible says love your enemy.
planting42
planting42
Posted on 07 February 18 at 19:11, Edited on 07 February 18 at 19:16 by planting42
Flabyo said:
Think of it in terms of everyone who enters at least one achievement will 'complete' those two for the sake of completing the overall challenge, but only three people will medal in each of those events?
This is not a Community Challenge. It increments your Community Event badge, not the hexagonal one.
https://www.trueachievements.com/event/Twelve-Days-of-Christmas
planting42
planting42
Posted on 07 February 18 at 19:14, Edited on 07 February 18 at 19:14 by planting42
MinPin said:
Just wanted to verify on the Cross Country Skiing - it says the achievement must start and end with a letter - does that include the final achievement of the chain? Could that end with something else, since it won't be chaining to anything? Or the first begin with something else? Thanks!
It means each successive achievement must begin with the letter the previous achievement ended with. Example:

Starting achievement:
Dead Pixel in TRON RUN/r

Successive ones:
Lost Memories in Nightmares from the Deep 3: Davy Jones
Special Card in Nightmares from the Deep 3: Davy Jones
Digger in Shadow Warrior
Riptor's Matchups in Killer Instinct
MinPin
MinPin
Posted on 07 February 18 at 19:24
planting42 said:
MinPin said:
It means each successive achievement must begin with the letter the previous achievement ended with. Example:

Starting achievement:
Dead Pixel in TRON RUN/r

Successive ones:
Digger in Shadow Warrior
Thanks. I get that part, I just wasn't sure if it applied to the beginning or the end of the chain as a whole, since those two letters don't link to anything else. I could see that going either way, depending on how the events are coded. For example, could the last one be something like:
Disney Fantasia: Music EvolvedGettin' It Done!The Gettin' It Done! challenge in Disney Fantasia: Music EvolvedPlay the song "DONE" once and earn a new 100% score on a song.
assuming the one before it ended with a 'g'? That might be satisfying.
ORIGENxGarboMan
Posted on 07 February 18 at 19:40
Can we please get some clarification on tiebreakers? It's absolutely trivial to hit the minimum score of .05 for the giant slalom contest and I suspect MANY people will do it. I don't really feel motivated to do it just to find out it goes out to the ten-thousandths digit and the minimum score is actually .0005 and I lost due to lack of clarity. I also don't feel motivated to plan it all out just to have someone hit .05 in the middle of the night when the US is still asleep. I'm not going to stay up until 4 AM just to win a contest on a time tiebreaker. Like I said, it's absolutely trivial to hit .05 and I suspect someone will do it in a couple hours if it's based on time.
I AM PEKE?
III Torpedo III
III Torpedo III
Posted on 07 February 18 at 20:29
Is there this year also an overall leaderboard like it was in 2014 or are there only the medals for the categories?
Carpe Noctem
planting42
planting42
Posted on 07 February 18 at 21:01, Edited on 07 February 18 at 21:02 by planting42
MinPin said:
planting42 said:
MinPin said:

Starting achievement:
Dead Pixel in TRON RUN/r

Successive ones:
Digger in Shadow Warrior
Thanks. I get that part, I just wasn't sure if it applied to the beginning or the end of the chain as a whole, since those two letters don't link to anything else. I could see that going either way, depending on how the events are coded. For example, could the last one be something like:
Disney Fantasia: Music EvolvedGettin' It Done!The Gettin' It Done! challenge in Disney Fantasia: Music EvolvedPlay the song "DONE" once and earn a new 100% score on a song.
assuming the one before it ended with a 'g'? That might be satisfying.
I'm not sure how its coded so one of the devs would have to chime in on that.

My gut reaction is that they've coded any achievement that starts/ends with symbols or special characters to be invalid but I could be wrong.
DominusTenebrae
Posted on 07 February 18 at 21:04
Oh my. Some of these are brutal. Giant slalom & x-country could be a beast.
MinPin
MinPin
Posted on 07 February 18 at 21:30
planting42 said:
I'm not sure how its coded so one of the devs would have to chime in on that.

My gut reaction is that they've coded any achievement that starts/ends with symbols or special characters to be invalid but I could be wrong.
Thanks. That's my assumption too, but I just wanted to be sure. I'm a little surprised at how many of my available achievements and trophies end with non-letters, and am trying to get a plan into place.
Mark B
Mark B
Posted on 08 February 18 at 08:07
Giant Slalom
The leaderboard will be ranked by the smallest cumulative difference between the achievements won and 2.00 - so the best possible score is 0.05.
Does that mean anyone and everyone who scores 0.05 gets a gold medal?
TruthTwo
TruthTwo
Posted on 08 February 18 at 12:53
I am not able to start a challenge. Anyone else with this issue?
redjarman
redjarman
Posted on 08 February 18 at 16:21
can we get a reminder on how to search achievements by letter? If you're gonna keep having challenges like this, it's gotta be somewhere more obvious.
SabenRothschild
Posted on 08 February 18 at 16:30
TruthTwo said:
I am not able to start a challenge. Anyone else with this issue?
Well, I thought I'd started the slalom, but now it's gone back to the start challenge button - slightly different problem but again it's weird...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.