Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Celeste Review

AuthorMessage
kintaris
251,687
kintaris
Posted on 07 February 18 at 23:48
Ain't no mountain high enough to keep me from loving this game

Please click here to read the story: Celeste Review
Shizblacka
956,710
Shizblacka
Posted on 07 February 18 at 23:59
Highly recommend this one to anyone who enjoys platformers. Absolutely incredible.
Michel
768,212
Michel
Posted on 08 February 18 at 00:06
oh this one is on xbox too? Thought it was only on switch, lmao
Allgorhythm
254,032
Allgorhythm
Posted on 08 February 18 at 00:17
Great review! This game wasn't on my radar but you've sold me on it.
SpiralGamerpro
1,319,217
SpiralGamerpro
Posted on 08 February 18 at 01:19
I still think it's a bit of a slap in the face to allow Assist Mode when unlocking achievements. I understand that the developers wanted the game to be more accessible, but that would be like allowing people to use elevators to reach the summit of real-life mountains and then giving those people the same credit as people who legitimately climbed up the mountain. It's a shame, because this game looks damn good, and I, of all people, considered buying it at $20. What turned me off was Assist Mode, because I imagine it's much less rewarding to enjoy an excellent and challenging gaming experience (which this appears to be) and know that people were able to cheese their way to the end with an exploit that the developers intentionally put into their game.
The people's champion! Well done for an amazing run, and for croaking with dignity. #TeamSporl4lyf - MalibuStacey85
SergenT PixeL93
Posted on 08 February 18 at 01:50
deserved clap
IRISH PATRIOT x
Posted on 08 February 18 at 02:29
Allgorhythm said:
Great review! This game wasn't on my radar but you've sold me on it.
This.
Mr Chaotix
920,891
Mr Chaotix
Posted on 08 February 18 at 02:38
SpiralGamerpro said:
I still think it's a bit of a slap in the face to allow Assist Mode when unlocking achievements. I understand that the developers wanted the game to be more accessible, but that would be like allowing people to use elevators to reach the summit of real-life mountains and then giving those people the same credit as people who legitimately climbed up the mountain. It's a shame, because this game looks damn good, and I, of all people, considered buying it at $20. What turned me off was Assist Mode, because I imagine it's much less rewarding to enjoy an excellent and challenging gaming experience (which this appears to be) and know that people were able to cheese their way to the end with an exploit that the developers intentionally put into their game.
Personally, I found the main game to be boring, so I can see why they'd enable assist mode so you can skip most of the garbage.
But yeah, there's really no reason why assist mode should unlock achievements, especially for the B or C sides. It's one thing making the game more accessible, but to remove any sort of challenge from the bonus challenge levels is just dumb.
XenomorphFiend
Posted on 08 February 18 at 04:03
IRISH PATRIOT x said:
Allgorhythm said:
Great review! This game wasn't on my radar but you've sold me on it.
This.
Indeed!
Streets Ahead
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 08 February 18 at 04:27
Mr Chaotix said:
SpiralGamerpro said:
I still think it's a bit of a slap in the face to allow Assist Mode when unlocking achievements. I understand that the developers wanted the game to be more accessible, but that would be like allowing people to use elevators to reach the summit of real-life mountains and then giving those people the same credit as people who legitimately climbed up the mountain. It's a shame, because this game looks damn good, and I, of all people, considered buying it at $20. What turned me off was Assist Mode, because I imagine it's much less rewarding to enjoy an excellent and challenging gaming experience (which this appears to be) and know that people were able to cheese their way to the end with an exploit that the developers intentionally put into their game.
Personally, I found the main game to be boring, so I can see why they'd enable assist mode so you can skip most of the garbage.
But yeah, there's really no reason why assist mode should unlock achievements, especially for the B or C sides. It's one thing making the game more accessible, but to remove any sort of challenge from the bonus challenge levels is just dumb.
For you the solution sounds simple. Don’t use it. For others, as the story is built on this idea too, it’s there when they need it. I thought the review spells that out well. Makes sense to me thematically.
Legohead 1977
824,662
Legohead 1977
Posted on 08 February 18 at 09:08
Interesting review, had not heard of this at all.

Not sure how I feel about the ability to use assists and still get the achievements, to be honest, I love achievements, but the completion is more 'interesting' to me, so I guess I'm okay with it. I know it was just an example for comparison, but as much as we all like achievements, they don't really compare to climbing a mountain! wink
Legohead 1977
Vr English
554,509
Vr English
Posted on 08 February 18 at 09:20, Edited on 08 February 18 at 09:20 by Vr English
Didn't know this was coming to Xbox, heard great things, good to see they are mirrored here, been a while since we've seen a 5/5! Dunkey's review was good too.
Awoo
1,280,726
Awoo
Posted on 08 February 18 at 09:36
The assist mode thing, while obviously not something anyone not on this site would care about, does not sit too well with me. By all means, put the mode in your game, it's a great idea to make it more accessible to a broader audience, but it would have been incredibly easy to disable achievement progress while the mode is on. Hell, they could just have made a single achievement for beating the game without assist, or just disabled it for the B/C-sides, which are supposed to be extra challenges. I can see why you'd want to make sure everyone can get through the main story, but allowing people to cheese challenges specifically designed for only the more hardcore players? Doesn't seem entirely logical.

Still looks like a wonderful game, will probably play it soon and enjoy it the intended way.
What can change the nature of a man?
Tuschi
863,769
Tuschi
Posted on 08 February 18 at 10:01
Absolutely agree. What an amazing game.
JackTheCreeper
Posted on 08 February 18 at 10:18
Allgorhythm said:
Great review! This game wasn't on my radar but you've sold me on it.
My thoughts exactly! I'm a fan of platformers, and the description of successfully running through a level as a "ballet" made me crack a smile. I love thinking of games at times as a well choreographed dance with precise, timed movements.
kintaris
251,687
kintaris
Posted on 08 February 18 at 10:23
Just an addendum for those taking issue with the achievement availability in Assist mode - I do agree to an extent and I certainly wouldn't have docked marks had they been locked out in Assist mode (much like Furi locks them in Easy mode).

However I do understand what the developers were trying to achieve here and I guess I'm comfortable with it either way. If this approach gets more players and more casual achievement hunters to at least give the genre a go, whet their appetite for more difficult experiences later on, I think the net result is positive for everyone - even if this game specifically suffers a ratio hit.

After all, if you play this on Assist, think "Hey, now I'll give X game a go" and utterly fail to get 100% on it, then the ratio goes up elsewhere! laugh

Legohead 1977 said:
Interesting review, had not heard of this at all.

Not sure how I feel about the ability to use assists and still get the achievements, to be honest, I love achievements, but the completion is more 'interesting' to me, so I guess I'm okay with it. I know it was just an example for comparison, but as much as we all like achievements, they don't really compare to climbing a mountain! wink
I think part of the point of the game is precisely that - the mountains we make for ourselves are of course not the same as actual mountain climbing, but they're ours to climb - whatever parameters we set for the task.
Legohead 1977
824,662
Legohead 1977
Posted on 08 February 18 at 11:04, Edited on 08 February 18 at 11:06 by Legohead 1977
kintaris said:
I think part of the point of the game is precisely that - the mountains we make for ourselves are of course not the same as actual mountain climbing, but they're ours to climb - whatever parameters we set for the task.
If I do get this, I like to think I will try it without the assists and see how frustrating it is, if I enjoy the challenge, then it will be a long time before I resort to the assists.

I wish there had been a similar thing on Age of Booty...have just managed to fluke my way past the final challenge after being repeatedly rinsed by some very shady AI shenanigans...at least 25 attempts required!
Legohead 1977
kintaris
251,687
kintaris
Posted on 08 February 18 at 11:09
Legohead 1977 said:
kintaris said:
I think part of the point of the game is precisely that - the mountains we make for ourselves are of course not the same as actual mountain climbing, but they're ours to climb - whatever parameters we set for the task.
If I do get this, I like to think I will try it without the assists and see how frustrating it is, if I enjoy the challenge, then it will be a long time before I resort to the assists.
Absolutely the recommended route to take from me and from the developers themselves. To be honest if any particular section was causing grief, you could always have a second save slot with assists on to practice in and then go back to the normal mode to pull it off - that's how I tested the mode's features eventually. But the "vanilla" difficulty curve is steep but fair, and rewarding to pull off.
Legohead 1977
824,662
Legohead 1977
Posted on 08 February 18 at 11:16
kintaris said:
Legohead 1977 said:
kintaris said:
I think part of the point of the game is precisely that - the mountains we make for ourselves are of course not the same as actual mountain climbing, but they're ours to climb - whatever parameters we set for the task.
If I do get this, I like to think I will try it without the assists and see how frustrating it is, if I enjoy the challenge, then it will be a long time before I resort to the assists.
Absolutely the recommended route to take from me and from the developers themselves. To be honest if any particular section was causing grief, you could always have a second save slot with assists on to practice in and then go back to the normal mode to pull it off - that's how I tested the mode's features eventually. But the "vanilla" difficulty curve is steep but fair, and rewarding to pull off.
The more we discuss it the more I think this is a solid idea, it shows a real confidence by the developer that the product is good enough that people won't want to use the assists until they deem it necessary. Then you also won't have the feeling that the achievements require additional playtime past the point where the game loses it's appeal.

I would have loved an assist like this for GoW2 for example, I loved that game and legitimately made it to Rank 50 while enjoying the game how it is supposed to be played...however, that was enough for me, so to finish it off I had to effectively play organised games of the Hokey Cokey. Sometimes a game shouldn't outstay it's welcome, it taints an otherwise wonderful experience!
Legohead 1977
Shinnizle
683,464
Shinnizle
Posted on 08 February 18 at 15:44
I don't see why it's a bad thing. Sure, some people will get it the hard way, and (probably) a lot of people will get it the easy way. As long as you find a way to have fun, and be proud of what you have done, for the people who care more about that, then everything's fine. Someone completing all the achievements with assists turned on doesn't diminish the effort you put in obtaining the achievement by not using the assists. You know you did it, and no one can take that away from you. That's the most important part.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.