Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Celeste Review

AuthorMessage
Elite1111111111
Posted on 08 February 18 at 15:45
I've seen nothing but sparkling reviews for this. Definitely need to look into it.
Reborn Insanity
Posted on 08 February 18 at 17:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHLizp8fARo

I really need to get this game. I've heard a lot of great things and this review adds to that.
See You Space Cowboy...
Alahert
Alahert
Posted on 08 February 18 at 18:04
Game looks pretty good, I'm going to try it for sure!
$ICK$IDE
Wilkiadam
Wilkiadam
Posted on 08 February 18 at 20:42
This just convinced me to purchase at full price...an uncommon occurrence for me personally.
CODYWWE24
CODYWWE24
Posted on 08 February 18 at 21:54
A rare 5/5. I have to try this game.
Smallville2106
Posted on 08 February 18 at 23:32
Never heard of this until today. Will definitely be picking this up.
Vr English
Vr English
Posted on 09 February 18 at 10:18
Shinnizle said:
I don't see why it's a bad thing. Sure, some people will get it the hard way, and (probably) a lot of people will get it the easy way. As long as you find a way to have fun, and be proud of what you have done, for the people who care more about that, then everything's fine. Someone completing all the achievements with assists turned on doesn't diminish the effort you put in obtaining the achievement by not using the assists. You know you did it, and no one can take that away from you. That's the most important part.
This right here!
Turbo Plop
Turbo Plop
Posted on 09 February 18 at 14:47
I bought this as soon as I saw it was from Matt Makes Games. He was the developer who made Towerfall Ascension. I was so glad when Towerfall finally came to Xbox after being on the PlayStation for a long time, I bought it and the DLC the day they came out. I stopped working on my backlog just so i could really enjoy Celeste. I highly recommend this game!
Cemetery Girls
Posted on 15 February 18 at 14:58
Odd how in some games, the challenge is viewed as a positive in reviews, while in games like Cuphead it's a mark off.
kintaris
kintaris
Posted on 19 February 18 at 12:20
Cemetery Girls said:
Odd how in some games, the challenge is viewed as a positive in reviews, while in games like Cuphead it's a mark off.
There are many approaches to difficulty. In Celeste's case the challenge is refreshing but the frustration of it is tempered by the fact that it can be adjusted. Celeste also ramps up the difficulty carefully, both overall and in each segment where a new mechanic is introduced. I can't speak for Cuphead as I haven't personally played it but I understand the difficulty was a little more relentless and immediate.

Of course, different reviewers will have different thoughts on difficulty generally. I just think it's worth pointing out that this is less about saying "this game is difficult and that's good/bad", and more about saying "the difficulty curve of this game is designed well/not well". I hope that makes sense.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 21 December 18 at 04:05
Awoo said:
Hell, they could just have made a single achievement for beating the game without assist
Late to the party due to GWG, but this would have probably made the most sense IMO.

Thanks for the review so I know what to look forward to :)

Will attempt to get as far as possible without assist, which probably won't be too far knowing my patience for the type of platformer this seems to be. But, if it truly is well made with good pacing maybe I'll get through a fair bit. They certainly should have awarded people somehow for getting through it all with no assist. Separate the wheat from the chaff and all that jazz.
Fear is the mindkiller.
ImJustYourDaddy
Posted on 04 January 19 at 05:10
iMaginaryy said:
Awoo said:
Hell, they could just have made a single achievement for beating the game without assist
Late to the party due to GWG, but this would have probably made the most sense IMO.

Thanks for the review so I know what to look forward to :)

Will attempt to get as far as possible without assist, which probably won't be too far knowing my patience for the type of platformer this seems to be. But, if it truly is well made with good pacing maybe I'll get through a fair bit. They certainly should have awarded people somehow for getting through it all with no assist. Separate the wheat from the chaff and all that jazz.
The main game isn't very hard without assist mode. It's the B-Sides and C-Cides that are a bit of a challenge (though the B-Sides weren't that difficult imo)
Santino
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.