Xbox One Forum

Forum for Xbox One related discussions

Xbox one and NTSC-j Xbox 360 games

AuthorMessage
McDunkin93
McDunkin93
Posted on 12 February 18 at 22:11
So I recently read that you could download NTSC-J versions of Xbox 360 games using the Xbox one which is great because I could never afford to buy and import a NTSC-J Xbox 360 back in the day.

However I was wondering how you actually download the games? For example the 2 main games I wanted were castlevania SOTN and civilization revolution. Now as far as I am aware both games are backward compatible and available from the Japanese marketplace but when I go to download them on
1. The Xbox one store (by switching my region to Japan) it tells me either I already own it and can install it (which I own the English version) or can play it (if I install it) but it only loads the English version
2. Go on to the website using my laptop but I don't see an option to buy only to view info (but as far as I am aware castlevania SOTN was only available digitially and not as a physical release)

Iv also look at places like play-Asia but they are out of stock of the games I want. I have searched very hard before asking so as not to waste anyone's time if anyone could give me some suggestions on wether it's actually possible to download digitial versions of Xbox 360 NTSC-j games or if I am wasting my time that would be fantastic.

Many thanks.
JieXY
JieXY
Posted on 13 February 18 at 00:00, Edited on 13 February 18 at 16:50 by JieXY
The reason why you see those games as owned/purchased is because you are looking at the non-JPN versions of the games.

Below are the store pages for JPN Civ and SOTN.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/ja-JP/Product/Civilization-Revo...

https://www.microsoft.com/ja-jp/store/p/-X-/BRT29CTZTN67

To purchase JPN Xbox 360 games:

1) You need to have a JPN Xbox Live account;
2) You can either buy those games with JPN Yen currency (from gift card) ONLY on your Xbox 360 console (it needs to be an NTSC-J console if the games you want are region-locked; XBLA games are not region-locked); or, you can buy the games with a JPN credit card/PayPal account (sometimes foreign credit cards work too but it really depends) on your computer or Xbox One console.
3) ... profit!?

Hope this helps.
McDunkin93
McDunkin93
Posted on 13 February 18 at 09:29
So if I create a Japanese xbox live account il be able to purchase NTSC-J games and then play them on my "main account" (this one) is that right? or do you mean change my main account to Japanese region? apart from that I understand now.
JieXY
JieXY
Posted on 13 February 18 at 16:47
Yes. As long as you can purchase the games, any account on your console can play them.

To buy JPN Xbox 360 games on your Xbox One console, you have to use a JPN account with Xbox Store set to JPN (otherwise you won't see/find them). After purchasing and downloading the games, set the location back to wherever you are and it won't affect anything.

The region thing of Xbox Live account mainly affects the purchase of Xbox 360 games. A US account can only buy Xbox 360 games on the US marketplace, but it can buy any Xbox One game by simply changing the Xbox One console location to wherever the games are released, provided legit payment options are available. If you want to use your main account to purchase JPN Xbox 360 games, then you need to migrate your account to JPN, which can only happen once every 3 or 4 months, and is not recommended at all.

If you need more information, just let me know.
JieXY
JieXY
Posted on 13 February 18 at 17:39
One more thing, certain region-specific games are region-locked (IP-locked). If you have done all the above and still can't buy the games, then most likely you will need a JPN VPN.
McDunkin93
McDunkin93
Posted on 13 February 18 at 22:28
I did it and it worked! Thank you thank you thank you! Now I can play through castlevania and enjoy getting all those achievements again!
JieXY
JieXY
Posted on 13 February 18 at 23:25
Congrats and enjoy your game!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.