Game Discussion: Dynasty Warriors 9 Forum

So disappointing.

AuthorMessage
odiedodie
odiedodie
Posted on 13 February 18 at 15:57
Was really looking forward to this but the game is a poor use of an open world. DW is about large battles but in an open world this gets diluted to the point where there’s just a load of travelling between combat.

The battles have even less strategy (I know many will scoff about DW and strategy being together) but it reall is just “mash button to win”.

What a shame
www.peoww.co.uk - Do you see?
Hyyr
Hyyr
Posted on 13 February 18 at 18:44
This sucks to hear. I was really looking forward to enjoying this game.
Yazite
Yazite
Posted on 13 February 18 at 18:49
Just watched a review and it highlighted your exact point. Shame, I'll probably hold off for a while. I absolutely loved DW7 and recently was excited about getting back to it. Still, I have DW8 to play and I've heard good things about.
Wake me, when you need me.
foreverzerov2
foreverzerov2
Posted on 13 February 18 at 21:30
so far that does seem the case i did take out some archers before taking out the main group but im not sure if doing that even matters i love these games so i hope it gets better im still in the yellow turban era
El Zombie
El Zombie
Posted on 14 February 18 at 06:21, Edited on 15 February 18 at 03:53 by El Zombie
I've just barely scratched the surface of this game, but it does feel unpolished. I unlocked 2 achievements & the whole game started to sputter when that happened. It almost looks like the characters don't belong in their environment in the beginning missions, if that makes sense. It's kinda choppy, I am on a regular Xbox One, tho. I feel like there's potential, with patching, to get this to where it should be.
Flabyo
Flabyo
Posted on 14 February 18 at 08:33
Definitely feels like it’ll need a few patches to sort out the frame rate problems, it looks like it’s sitting around 20fps a lot of the time for me.

I’m liking what I’ve played so far, but it’s a very different beast to the rest of the series. It’s not quite as weird as 6 which I never really got into at all though.

I suspect they’ll refine this idea and whatever they do next along these lines will be better.
HIDDENxGECKO
HIDDENxGECKO
Posted on 14 February 18 at 19:10
It's a completely different experience, view it as a spin-off, there are so many differences it understandably puts a lot of people off but I have been really enjoying it.

Most of the complaints about it are because people don't know how to interact with an open world DW, don't speedrun every little mission and complain when the last one isn't enough of a challenge. Most of the missions are optional for a reason, if you desperately want to hear about why that villager hasn't had a good day you can do that on another character's playthrough. Leaving aside some sub-missions stops the final battle being too easy. I really enjoy the travelling and exploration of the open world and actually prefer the vast open areas but I understand that that's not for everyone. Using the open world functions alongside fighting the battles opens up a lot more options, working on improving your equipment can make things so much easier and more fun.

I'm unhappy about the lack of polish but that's not a big deal for me, I haven't exoerienced any performance issues which is weird because I'm on original Xbox One. I don't like that most battles come down to killing one guy with no threat of loss other than your own death. Fighting near watter is a huge annoyance with enemy AI being knocked in and randomly respawning beside you or not moving, fighting on boats is terrible but thankfully very rare. The AI is flawed, the enemy AI behavior and difficult can be changed by choosing how many side missions to complete but tbe friendly AI is my main issue, them rarely actually entering the enemy castle takes the one man army feel too far. The grappling hook is broken, maybe make it only usable in certain circumstances or give it a limited but upgradable range?

In the future I hope DW continues to innovate but doesn't return to open world for a while and only does so when some kinks can be worked out.
MikeProcurator
Posted on 14 February 18 at 23:41
I can't see this as a spin off when it is a numbered title. They have tons of spin offs.
HIDDENxGECKO
HIDDENxGECKO
Posted on 15 February 18 at 04:34
It isn't a spin off but it plays like one, the gameplay is completely different.
Goggs25
Goggs25
Posted on 20 February 18 at 01:53
I have finished the game still have a few achievements left but overall its ok I do like the fact that there is no difficulty achievement I hated them on dynasty,samurai & orochi games.

I have had a few graphic issues character walks through tents and the most common ones are to do with brightness if you use the fast travel option when it loads up your destination the screen gets really bright thankfully it only lasts a few seconds and another issue I have is load screens and cut screens the loading between scenes are around a minute.
Goggs25
Junts26
Junts26
Posted on 23 February 18 at 02:17
I mean like any DW game its not at all hard unless you ramp up the difficulty.

I like that the battles play out in a way that can have a lot more fidelity to the actual RTK storyline, because they aren't jamming events at multiple cities into one 'stage'.

There's a lot of open ground, and thank god for my ridiculous level 100 shadow runner who frequently outruns the texture load speeds.

I think its a mistake to approach this as an open world game, and it makes more sense to approach it as a dynasty warriors game with an open world. If you temper your expectations in terms of what the franchise has done before, its a pretty big improvement and pretty cool overall.

The open world elements really aren't that well developed and I think there's a lot of opportunity for new features and enhancements via DLC, or in DW9: Empires.

The texture loading stuff is super annoying and makes me think I must have to have an x1x in order to enjoy the game fully graphically. When the scenic areas have fully loaded in they are really tremendously beautiful, though.
Mike
GamingEagle19
Posted on 23 February 18 at 04:19
To be honest, I found a lot of the reviews I've seen to be full of bull. Especially Jim Sterling's review of it. So many things wrong.

I will say performance is an issue and overall graphical fidelity is disappointing but this still very much feels like Dynasty Warriors to me and I'm having tons of fun. I'm 15+ hours in and I'm still doing Cao-Cao's story.

And I really dig the open world. In the future I think it might be best to just have really large areas instead of one cohesive whole since the battles are contained to sections of the map anyways but it does sell that you are going from battlefield to battlefield in an actual continent as opposed to small cut outs that seem disjointed from each other and as long as you play like you would normally play DW like going from frontline to frontline and never straying too far from the action you will still constantly be in battles.

Shame they changed voice studios though. Most characters are fine but the characters that got it worse are not characters that deserved to get it worse like Lu Bu and Cao Cao.

Things to improve on sure but overall I find it to be a very strong entry and commend them for doing something different with the old formula.
JieXY
JieXY
Posted on 26 February 18 at 21:31
GamingEagle19 said:
To be honest, I found a lot of the reviews I've seen to be full of bull. Especially Jim Sterling's review of it. So many things wrong.

I will say performance is an issue and overall graphical fidelity is disappointing but this still very much feels like Dynasty Warriors to me and I'm having tons of fun. I'm 15+ hours in and I'm still doing Cao-Cao's story.

And I really dig the open world. In the future I think it might be best to just have really large areas instead of one cohesive whole since the battles are contained to sections of the map anyways but it does sell that you are going from battlefield to battlefield in an actual continent as opposed to small cut outs that seem disjointed from each other and as long as you play like you would normally play DW like going from frontline to frontline and never straying too far from the action you will still constantly be in battles.

Shame they changed voice studios though. Most characters are fine but the characters that got it worse are not characters that deserved to get it worse like Lu Bu and Cao Cao.

Things to improve on sure but overall I find it to be a very strong entry and commend them for doing something different with the old formula.
That's what I wanted to say, too, minus the English dubbing part (because I selected Chinese and it's actually very good for most characters).

Technical issues aside, I really like the open world setting and attention-to-detail depiction of all the characters and the 200 AD China. The fighting mechanic works smoothly, making the pace of action much faster the any previous entries in the Warriors series. Exploration in the open world is fun (at least for the first 30-50 hr). However, the vast emptiness outside of populated areas just feels like filler content. There will be high level bandits and feral animals waiting for you in those areas, but ultimately they don't seem necessary to be there. The battlefield system also feels a bit off, since you almost don't feel the urgency in any battle and can just wander off from the frontline and go fishing in a blink of an eye. The grappling hook completely destroys siege battles by allowing you to scale any vertical building structure instantly. These all lead to one major problem -- the game is too easy even on Chaos difficulty.

Although DW9 is not perfect in any way, it is a bold and ambitious attempt at a game series that has been almost the same for more than 20 years. Hopefully future games in the series will improve and continue to prosper.
Junts26
Junts26
Posted on 02 March 18 at 03:23
There's a few translation errors that are kind of stupid (quests keep referring to "Dingtao and Luoyang" when the involved locations are "Dingtao and Puyang"

The load time stuff is awful, because the game is beautiful if you give a city 5 minutes to load :P
Mike
JieXY
JieXY
Posted on 02 March 18 at 05:32
Texture loading time is HORRIBLE.
GamingEagle19
Posted on 03 March 18 at 04:08
JieXY said:
GamingEagle19 said:

That's what I wanted to say, too, minus the English dubbing part (because I selected Chinese and it's actually very good for most characters).

Technical issues aside, I really like the open world setting and attention-to-detail depiction of all the characters and the 200 AD China. The fighting mechanic works smoothly, making the pace of action much faster the any previous entries in the Warriors series. Exploration in the open world is fun (at least for the first 30-50 hr). However, the vast emptiness outside of populated areas just feels like filler content. There will be high level bandits and feral animals waiting for you in those areas, but ultimately they don't seem necessary to be there. The battlefield system also feels a bit off, since you almost don't feel the urgency in any battle and can just wander off from the frontline and go fishing in a blink of an eye. The grappling hook completely destroys siege battles by allowing you to scale any vertical building structure instantly. These all lead to one major problem -- the game is too easy even on Chaos difficulty.

Although DW9 is not perfect in any way, it is a bold and ambitious attempt at a game series that has been almost the same for more than 20 years. Hopefully future games in the series will improve and continue to prosper.
I agree that the chinese is actually pretty neat although I still switched back to English eventually. SOME of the voices grow on you like Lu Bu, it helps when you realize it's the same voice actor that does Cell in DBZ, and even Cao Cao is alright most of the time. Although his VO for when you take over camps is awful. Like, that couldn't have been your best take guys.

And I agree that the areas outside the battle zone and populated area is just kind of...there. They are only there because they get you the hunting points and the coins you need to get better weapons...but on the other hand, you can grind for 30 minutes, get all the coins you need and since it carries over character to character you never have to worry about it again so I'll call it a wash on that front.
EmporerDragon
EmporerDragon
Posted on 04 March 18 at 06:11
the voices grow on you like Lu Bu, it helps when you realize it's the same voice actor that does Cell in DBZ,
Except it's not. Lu Bu in this game is voiced by a guy named Vic May, Cell's English VA is Dameon Clarke.
GamingEagle19
Posted on 05 March 18 at 21:23
EmporerDragon said:
the voices grow on you like Lu Bu, it helps when you realize it's the same voice actor that does Cell in DBZ,
Except it's not. Lu Bu in this game is voiced by a guy named Vic May, Cell's English VA is Dameon Clarke.
Then I have been lied to. I am disappointed.
STILL though, his voice is not that bad once you get over the initial shock.
JieXY
JieXY
Posted on 06 March 18 at 01:10, Edited on 06 March 18 at 03:05 by JieXY
Anyone notice the even worse frame rate after the latest update? It definitely feels worse for me even with motion smooth on for my TV.

EDIT: Guess it was my console. Booted up the game today and it looked normal.
EmporerDragon
EmporerDragon
Posted on 06 March 18 at 05:46
GamingEagle19 said:
STILL though, his voice is not that bad once you get over the initial shock.
True, he's not terrible per se, but when you're used to Jamieson Price's deep, angry voice that had been part of the series for over a decade, you have certain expectations.

Though, the more I play the game, I can see why the new voice acting annoys me: There's so much disjointedness. Every bit of dialogue that has more than a few words is filled with unnatural pauses, almost as if the actors were reading off of a very slow teleprompter.
There's also some really bad splicing in the dialogue. For a great example of this, pull up Xin Xianying's voice gallery and listen to her two unique haling dialogues.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.