Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Mafia II and Prey Now Backward Compatible

• Posted on 14 February 18 at 18:25
    IS it my profile or is the thumbnail for Prey on your games list still not BC?
    PROLIFIC PLUTO
  • dlCHIEF58dlCHIEF58423,014
    Posted on 14 February 18 at 19:13
    HolyHalfDead said:
    I have updated my list with yet another past GwG going BC
    - HolyHalfDead's blog post - Games with Gold

There aren't many left that aren't BC now, excluding the ones that are unlikely to get the BC treatment (AC4, Halo:SA, MGS:V, Metro's, Dead Island's, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider etc).
    Why do you think those are unlikely to become BC? Because there are Xbox One versions?

To refute that let me present examples that disprove that supposition: Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, Assassins Creed II, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed Revelation, Castlestorm, Saints Row 4, Gat out of Hell, Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST, Halo 4, Borderlands 2, Borderlands Presequel, Costume Quest 2, Darksiders, Darksiders II, Gears of War, Goat Simulator, The Walking Dead, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Halo Wars, Limbo, Monopoly Deal, Monopoly Plus, The Walking Dead Season 2, The Walking Dead: Michonne, and probably a couple more I missed.

No, each of those games is as likely as the next to get the BC treatment. They are probably not high on the priority list due to there being a One version, but it does not rule it out by any means as the long list above shows. The only ones you can rule out as unlikely are Kinect, peripheral based games (Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Tony Hawk Shred, light gun games, etc), sports titles, and some licensed games whose distribution license has expired. The first two sets are not coming due to hardware limitations/incompatibilities (but could possibly be addressed at a later date with an upgrade to the emulation software or relaxation of controller requirements), the latter two due to licensing nightmares.
  • Posted on 14 February 18 at 19:46
    dlCHIEF58 said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    I have updated my list with yet another past GwG going BC
    - HolyHalfDead's blog post - Games with Gold

There aren't many left that aren't BC now, excluding the ones that are unlikely to get the BC treatment (AC4, Halo:SA, MGS:V, Metro's, Dead Island's, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider etc).
    Why do you think those are unlikely to become BC? Because there are Xbox One versions?

To refute that let me present examples that disprove that supposition: Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, Assassins Creed II, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed Revelation, Castlestorm, Saints Row 4, Gat out of Hell, Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST, Halo 4, Borderlands 2, Borderlands Presequel, Costume Quest 2, Darksiders, Darksiders II, Gears of War, Goat Simulator, The Walking Dead, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Halo Wars, Limbo, Monopoly Deal, Monopoly Plus, The Walking Dead Season 2, The Walking Dead: Michonne, and probably a couple more I missed.

No, each of those games is as likely as the next to get the BC treatment. They are probably not high on the priority list due to there being a One version, but it does not rule it out by any means as the long list above shows. The only ones you can rule out as unlikely are Kinect, peripheral based games (Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Tony Hawk Shred, light gun games, etc), sports titles, and some licensed games whose distribution license has expired. The first two sets are not coming due to hardware limitations/incompatibilities (but could possibly be addressed at a later date with an upgrade to the emulation software or relaxation of controller requirements), the latter two due to licensing nightmares.
    Most of those games received Xbox One releases as well during that transition period from 360 to One.
    Ask me about my rock collection.
  • Posted on 14 February 18 at 23:34
    Mafia II!! Yeah!!
    Enjoying Mafia III at the moment.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead544,520
    Posted on 15 February 18 at 00:09, Edited on 15 February 18 at 00:23 by HolyHalfDead
    dlCHIEF58 said:
    ...Halo 2...
    except Halo 2 was never available on Xbox 360 wink

dlCHIEF58 said:
    Not just that, and I chose the word "unlikely" carefully, and didn't use a word like "won't".

dlCHIEF58 said:
    No, each of those games is as likely as the next to get the BC treatment.
    I am aware many games that are BC are now also available on Xbox One in some form.

1. Several of the games you listed are owned by Microsoft, so they didn't need approval to bolster their BC programme.
    2. Games like AC2 were not available on Xbox One so it was a way to increase sales, unlike AC4 that already was (I know TA members buy both as they like to stack like I did)
    3. Companies like Deep Silver may feel that making Dead Island's BC could harm sales of DI:DE.
    4. The GwG programme requires BC (since Nov 2015), and since Dead Island's and Metro's have already been GwG there is less reason to make them BC now, unlike several of the games you listed that were made BC so they could be GwG, such as SR4.

So I don't agree that a game such as Dead Island is as likely to made BC as Halo 3, AC2 or SR4.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • ElyohElyoh824,581
    Posted on 15 February 18 at 00:12
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    BBIAJ said:
    Elyoh said:
    TransAmConnor said:
    Can't be a coincidence that when I contacted Xbox Support about missing DLC for Mafia 2, they asked which console I'd been playing it on.

When I told the guy "360, since it wasn't backwards compatible unfortunately". He replied that they were working hard to do that.

Perhaps just the standard line to give in response to things like that, but seems like too much of a coincidence.
    The DLC only got relisted a month or 2 ago. We guessed it was because it was becoming BC, and in hindsight it obviously was. Now we should see if we can trip up other support staff into telling us what's coming wink
    By a month or two ago, you mean the 19th September, 2016, according to the dates on Xbox.com? That's still some wait between relisting and actually going BC.
    Wasn't the 19th when they relisted the game, but not the DLC?

Edit: Claims DLC only appeared in Jan. Mafia II Returns to Digital Storefronts
    Thanks Lucky, that's what I was referring to smile
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • Hexa FoxHexa Fox1,007,167
    Posted on 15 February 18 at 06:17
    Duncos said:
    Now I need to rebuy prey and complete it again. Anyone down for boosting?
    You do realize that they are not remastering Prey or anything of that nature right? So you cannot "complete it again". It is going to be the exact same game with the same achievement list. You will only be able to go back and finish up what you did not before if you did not complete it.
    The Fox Rocks!
  • nsm0220nsm0220994,708
    Posted on 15 February 18 at 07:16
    Duncos said:
    Now I need to rebuy prey and complete it again. Anyone down for boosting?
    on prey yes
  • zeldafanjtlzeldafanjtl162,393
    Posted on 15 February 18 at 07:20, Edited on 15 February 18 at 07:23 by zeldafanjtl
    Rhyolitic said:
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    Mafia II is a classic. Wish a remastered Mafia 1 was released.
    I'm not sure how remastered (or not) it is, but Mafia 1 is available on PC on gog. And it's currently on sale to boot!
    The version on GOG.com is the original Windows version, minus the licensed music, though there is a fan patch to restore it. It may have been modified to run better on modern PCs, but it's not a "remaster" in any sense of the word.

Still nice that it happened, cause I never got a chance to play it. The Steam version was delisted years ago, and the Xbox version isn't backwards compatible.

EDIT: I checked and it's also on sale right now for $9.99.
  • Bar6arianBar6arian519,392
    Posted on 15 February 18 at 10:49, Edited on 15 February 18 at 10:53 by Bar6arian
    uv1 said:
    its great playing Prey again, shame you can't capture any gameplay [video or pictures] through the xbox one on this title
    THIS!

Mafia 2 also, this is the biggest BS I've ever seen. Why would they do this? angry

Now make Mafia from the xbox originals BC and we'll have the whole series
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant569,767
    Posted on 15 February 18 at 11:22
    Bar6arian said:
    uv1 said:
    its great playing Prey again, shame you can't capture any gameplay [video or pictures] through the xbox one on this title
    THIS!

Mafia 2 also, this is the biggest BS I've ever seen. Why would they do this? angry

Nah, remaster it and give us achievements. wink
    This post may be sarcastic.
  • Posted on 15 February 18 at 12:24
    still need to get around to playing Prey
    [url=http://www.trueachievements.com/XInfectedViperX.htm][img]http://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/XInfectedViperX.png[/img][/url]
  • Dresden N7Dresden N7451,029
    Posted on 15 February 18 at 14:08, Edited on 15 February 18 at 14:13 by Dresden N7
    Bar6arian said:
    uv1 said:
    THIS!

None of 2K's backward compatible titles allow for game captures. Probably to avoid the extra work (and money) needed to renew the music licenses in their games. Sucks, but I'd rather have that than no BC.
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce901,185
    Posted on 15 February 18 at 16:52, Edited on 15 February 18 at 16:53 by ChewieOnIce
    Dresden N7 said:
    Bar6arian said:
    uv1 said:
    THIS!

None of 2K's backward compatible titles allow for game captures. Probably to avoid the extra work (and money) needed to renew the music licenses in their games. Sucks, but I'd rather have that than no BC.
    Makes sense for video but images should be ok. Then again with this one you'd just end up with lots of Playboy pics filling up the feeds laugh
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • ShinnizleShinnizle929,245
  • zeldafanjtlzeldafanjtl162,393
    Posted on 15 February 18 at 19:35
    Didn't know that. Still better to buy it on GOG, cause it's DRM free there.
  • Oriole2682Oriole26822,562,154
    Posted on 15 February 18 at 19:42
    Jordo, you do know the guy you posted the link about the EUU version just posted in this very thread right before you (Haxaras) and is an upstanding member of TA and someone I have boosted with and spoken with before. There are different versions of that game so I doubt he is lying...if he was lying he would lose money having to pay for it being shipped back to him.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 15 February 18 at 22:09, Edited on 15 February 18 at 22:09 by
    CONKER1182 said:
    Jordo said:
    Do NOT buy the "Russian" version of Mafia II that is on eBay right now. It may be the Russian case, but it isn't the Russian disc. It's just the English PAL disc that you would find somewhere in the U.K.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Used-Xbox360-Mafia-II-EUU-Russian-Imp...

Just a warning for anyone that actually wants to play the Russian version and not pay $100+ for the normal version
    This lying eBay seller even says in the description of the item in the link that this is the Russian version. I didn't type what the description says I copied and pasted it.

"Used game, excellent condition.
    This is the Russian Xbox 360 stack. It has an alternate achieviment list. You will need a PAL console.
    "
    I love people who have no idea what they're talking about and spew nonsense.

It was the Russian/Czech version.
    It still being on ebay was a mistake though. I ended the listing on ebay twice but it kept getting put back up for some reason.

It's long since been traded to a TA friend along with a USB stick that had the DLC. I managed to track down the classics version shortly after getting that copy so I put it on ebay. You could call the price I had it at "over-priced" all you want. But good luck finding another.

Oriole2682 said:
    (Haxaras) and is an upstanding member of TA
    laugh
    HaxAras
  • MA3LSTR0M808MA3LSTR0M808513,131
    Posted on 16 February 18 at 12:20
    Hopefully the Prey multiplayer is active for a few weeks, so I can grind these multiplayer achievements 🤘
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead544,520
    Posted on 16 February 18 at 17:22, Edited on 16 February 18 at 17:26 by HolyHalfDead
    HaxAras said:
    I love people who have no idea what they're talking about and spew nonsense.

It was the Russian/Czech version.
    Jordo said:
    @Holyhalfdead

No. The one on eBay is not the EEU disc. It's not the Russian version or the Czech/Polish version. Whoever buys it will find out for themselves.

Anyway, I'm done talking about it. It's a waste of time for me at this point.
    No way Jordo is ever going to admit they made a mistake, even if we had a photo of a Russian playing the game in Moscow. laugh
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.