Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Friday the 13th: The Game Introduces Single Player Challenges

AuthorMessage
Dat Boi Treezy
Posted on 14 February 18 at 23:44
New challenges incoming at no additional cost. Check out a gory trailer for a sample

Please click here to read the story: Friday the 13th: The Game Introduces Single Player Challenges
UnfadingShimmy
Posted on 15 February 18 at 00:07
Hopefully it will count towards the achievements. Maybe this is a sign that the player base is dying.
letsgobulls 24
Posted on 15 February 18 at 00:16
I only played a couple matches bc I kept getting disconnected. It’s a shame too bc it seemed promising.
Evandalist
Evandalist
Posted on 15 February 18 at 01:00, Edited on 15 February 18 at 01:02 by Evandalist
UnfadingShimmy said:
Hopefully it will count towards the achievements. Maybe this is a sign that the player base is dying.
Single player challenges have been a plan for this game since before it even launched. It has nothing to do at all with the (admittedly diminishing) playerbase.

As for the trailer itself - It looks pretty boring to me. Stalk a counselor until they turn their backs or are distracted with something, then approach, press A, and watch a new contextual environmental kill. It'll be worth playing through all the challenges once just to see the new kills, but I can't see any replay value in it if that's all there is to do.

For those curious, I've talked to the community manager for this game for some time now and here's what all we know about single player challenges, if you're interested...

1.) No release date. They were set to appear with the next update but everything (single player challenges, paranoia mode, Jason X, the Grendel map, counselor clothing - I mean everything) has been pushed back to a TBA release date now that the focus has been shifted on to making dedicated servers a reality. The next update likely won't be until late March or early April, and that should be the dedicated servers and maybe a few bug fixes. Who knows, though. They've been promising dedicated servers since October of last year and haven't even started on them until recently.

2.) All single player challenges will release at once when the mode launches. They also don't plan on releasing any more after that.

3.) Challenges can go multiple ways. It's possible to fail them. You're not supposed to just rush in as Jason and wreck shit. According to Wes and Randy, the situations that unfolded in the video could've gone down an entirely different way had the Jason player (Shifty - The community manager) not used stalk to conceal his presence. They're being tight lipped about that that means though - Whether it would've just been an instant fail/retry, or whether the counselors would've fought back or done something completely unexpected.

4.) Judging by the color of his piss - Bugzy is severely dehydrated.

That's about it.
Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
El Zombie
El Zombie
Posted on 15 February 18 at 03:45, Edited on 15 February 18 at 03:46 by El Zombie
As I mentioned on their Youtube page, this is pretty much Naughty Bear, is it not?
GtechApocalypse
Posted on 15 February 18 at 06:13
How is this game worth picking up?
Gtech
Splatador
Splatador
Posted on 15 February 18 at 10:11, Edited on 15 February 18 at 10:16 by Splatador
I've wanted to play this game for a while, but I can't help but to feel intimidated by some of the achievements that require a hefty amount of multiplayer sessions, which seem to be more unlikely to unlock because of an apparent dwindling player base.
UnreadBiscuit26
Posted on 15 February 18 at 12:44
Splatador said:
I've wanted to play this game for a while, but I can't help but to feel intimidated by some of the achievements that require a hefty amount of multiplayer sessions, which seem to be more unlikely to unlock because of an apparent dwindling player base.
If you can find one person and play privately most of the achievements can go quite quickly there are only maybe half a dozen that requires a full lobby.
Large Coffee
Large Coffee
Posted on 15 February 18 at 13:02
I've been waiting for this for awhile now, glad to see an update!
http://i.imgur.com/hhiPvya.gif
Moldy Tacos5000
Posted on 15 February 18 at 14:40
UnreadBiscuit26 said:
If you can find one person and play privately most of the achievements can go quite quickly there are only maybe half a dozen that requires a full lobby.
By half a dozen he means 2. Neither of which are difficult if you play the correct Jason.

If you're looking for a quick completion, this game is not it, it's easily a 100-200 hour game. If you buy this game it's because it's A LOT of fun. The LFG community is very active with people looking to create full lobbies if you want to sit down and play for a few hours. I recommend this route as the people are more cooperative and everyone has a mic.

Playing in a public match is recommended only if you want to mess around for a little bit. The biggest issue as as soon as the host gets killed by Jason they usually leave and this shuts down the lobby, which is why they're focused on dedicated servers right now.

letsgobulls 24 said:
I only played a couple matches bc I kept getting disconnected. It’s a shame too bc it seemed promising.
Well you played back in July and that was essentially the beta version of this game. This game needed another 6 months of development prior to release.
Legohead 1977
Legohead 1977
Posted on 15 February 18 at 15:44
I do like the look of this game, just not enough...
Legohead 1977
LeXXuz
LeXXuz
Posted on 15 February 18 at 15:47
Clickbait! Where is the girl in the lake? laugh
Dark Death 90
Dark Death 90
Posted on 15 February 18 at 15:52, Edited on 15 February 18 at 15:54 by Dark Death 90
Player base is still going strong. Never any trouble finding matches. Honestly I've played this game more than any other game released last year by far. It's just so damn fun. I'm looking forward to the single player challenges, they look really fun, sort of in the spirit of Hitman games. But the multiplayer will hold me over just fine until then.
#1 Resident Evil Fan.
zoidberg1339
zoidberg1339
Posted on 15 February 18 at 16:37
LeXXuz said:
Let’s dispense with the notion that TA doesn’t know what it’s doing. TA knows EXACTLY what it’s doing.
Bobazoid1
Bobazoid1
Posted on 15 February 18 at 16:48
Wow! Pretty gruesome kills. I don't have the game but might now that it is going to have single player as well.
Bob
gobey17
gobey17
Posted on 15 February 18 at 19:19
I actually wanted to play this originally when it came out but with all the problems it seemed to have when launched and the pretty time-consuming achievements it put me off. Plus Dead by Daylight scratched that itch when I began that.

I think though if dedicated servers are put in and the kinks are ironed out more I may just jump on (or at least try it out if it ever has a free play weekend on another account) as I do like these kind of games. Though I admit not too impressed with the video...
BulletLukey
BulletLukey
Posted on 15 February 18 at 21:05
zoidberg1339 said:
LeXXuz said:
Let’s dispense with the notion that TA doesn’t know what it’s doing. TA knows EXACTLY what it’s doing.
Friday the 13th: The Game Reveals Its Spring Break 1984 DLC
For some reason TA used that as the carousel image. Odd.
Splatador
Splatador
Posted on 15 February 18 at 21:12
UnreadBiscuit26 said:
Splatador said:
Sounds good. I will consider buying it once there's a sale. Thanks for the info.
Noir Metalhead
Posted on 16 February 18 at 06:15
Who else came for the thumbnail?
A.D.
DeafGhostbuster
Posted on 16 February 18 at 16:16
I wonder if we'll ever be able to play as the counselors in single player as well.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.