Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

The Mountains We Make: Celeste and Mental Health

AuthorMessage
kintaris
kintaris
Posted on 24 February 18 at 10:00
An unassuming pixel art platformer has an important message

Please click here to read the story: The Mountains We Make: Celeste and Mental Health
xSRYANx
xSRYANx
Posted on 24 February 18 at 14:11
This is the best article that has ever been posted on this site. Great job.
Arron114
Arron114
Posted on 24 February 18 at 15:14
Outstanding. Fantastic article.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 24 February 18 at 15:37
You can tell this subject hit home for the author as this was a personal story. I’ve only played one of the games mentioned in this article so this was a good article to highlight some games I need to watch for.
Redd Five
Redd Five
Posted on 24 February 18 at 16:23
Well done. Thanks for sharing.
Swooshiain
Swooshiain
Posted on 24 February 18 at 20:07
Brilliant article about a very important subject - one that affects more of us than many would suspect.
SmactSilly
Posted on 24 February 18 at 21:38
Thanks for the personal touch on this subject. I think this brings a new level of depth and legitimacy to the reviews and editorial staff here at True Achievements.
Iceman2pnt0
Iceman2pnt0
Posted on 24 February 18 at 22:07, Edited on 24 February 18 at 22:09 by Iceman2pnt0
Great article, thanks for the time spent working on this. This is a personal subject for me as well and hits close to home. There are times I've got a little too obsessive about certain goals, completions or gamerscore and have lost the fun aspect of gaming, ironically digitally grinding while trying to find relief from the grind of everyday life.

It's why I fundamentally disagree with achievements like seriously in the gears of war franchise. The requirements are so absurd that very few, if any people would unlock them through regular play, even those who are hardcore fans and love the games. Yet there are some people (keyword SOME) who can become addicted to "climbing the mountain" and spend untold numbers of hours going for it. To me that feels like a borderline malicious way to encourage a certain group of people to keep playing your game.
Finally gaming on the One.
NoApologies1988
Posted on 24 February 18 at 22:38
Glitched/broken achievements give me anxiety.
WarriorWithinUK
Posted on 24 February 18 at 22:46
If only they helped people with mental health problems instead of locking them away and throwing drugs at them.
iTz Canada Ehh
Posted on 24 February 18 at 23:54
This is an absolutely great article. Everyone has either dealt with mental health issues at some point in their life or knows someone who has, and the more it's brought to light the better off a lot of people become. And I'm definitely thinking of picking up Celeste as it seems like an amazing game.
Manb3arSquirrel
Posted on 25 February 18 at 01:29
UK WAR ASSASSIN said:
If only they helped people with mental health problems instead of locking them away and throwing drugs at them.
To be fair, many mental health problems are not surmountable with traditional care and attention, or even with medicine.
A Dreadful Shot
Posted on 25 February 18 at 01:31
And when you see mountains, remember, mountains can be moved.
Evandalist
Evandalist
Posted on 25 February 18 at 01:39, Edited on 25 February 18 at 01:41 by Evandalist
UK WAR ASSASSIN said:
Not sure where you live (UK, I presume?) but, in the United States, the only non-criminals who are "locked away" are the ones who pose an immediate risk to themselves or someone else. We know so because they've stated so - The baseline standard for a mandatory psychiatric evaluation is an expressed desire to do harm to oneself or another. Additionally, a stay on a psychiatric ward for a typical individual who falls in to that category is no longer than 72 hours unless the case is extreme. When you're released after 3 days in most states you're given an appointment to follow-up with either a psychiatrist or a psychologist.

Furthermore, anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications of all manner have been proven in clinical study after clinical study to help individuals afflicted with a variety of mental illnesses reclaim some manner of control over their life. They're not a silver bullet, and they unfortunately don't help everybody, but to hear you tell it so negatively (locking people up and throwing drugs at them, really?) you'd think these medications have never helped improve anybody's quality of life when all the clinical data clearly illustrates that they can and do on a daily basis.

Furthermore, being briefly held for psychiatric evaluation, being forced to talk to a professional in the field, or even having to take a pill once a day are all pretty small prices to pay for the price of saving a life.

Maybe you can find some third-world country run by religious zealots who think depression is demonic possession or something extreme where they still lock people up against their wills and perform exploratory lobotomies, but I'm talking about western nations here.

Do you think chemotherapy is worse for cancer patients than having cancer, too?
Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
WarriorWithinUK
Posted on 25 February 18 at 12:13, Edited on 25 February 18 at 12:15 by WarriorWithinUK
Evandalist said:
UK WAR ASSASSIN said:
Not sure where you live (UK, I presume?) but, in the United States, the only non-criminals who are "locked away" are the ones who pose an immediate risk to themselves or someone else. We know so because they've stated so - The baseline standard for a mandatory psychiatric evaluation is an expressed desire to do harm to oneself or another. Additionally, a stay on a psychiatric ward for a typical individual who falls in to that category is no longer than 72 hours unless the case is extreme. When you're released after 3 days in most states you're given an appointment to follow-up with either a psychiatrist or a psychologist.

Furthermore, anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications of all manner have been proven in clinical study after clinical study to help individuals afflicted with a variety of mental illnesses reclaim some manner of control over their life. They're not a silver bullet, and they unfortunately don't help everybody, but to hear you tell it so negatively (locking people up and throwing drugs at them, really?) you'd think these medications have never helped improve anybody's quality of life when all the clinical data clearly illustrates that they can and do on a daily basis.

Furthermore, being briefly held for psychiatric evaluation, being forced to talk to a professional in the field, or even having to take a pill once a day are all pretty small prices to pay for the price of saving a life.

Maybe you can find some third-world country run by religious zealots who think depression is demonic possession or something extreme where they still lock people up against their wills and perform exploratory lobotomies, but I'm talking about western nations here.

Do you think chemotherapy is worse for cancer patients than having cancer, too?
No i don't but im talking about mental health not cancer. What im saying is there are other ways to help people without the use of medications through exercise talking to them and reasuring them things will be ok. But the manufacturing of these pills is a big money making buisness so of course they are going to want you to keep swallowing them it goes against human rights utterly disgusting.

I have had experience with mental health myself from the age of 15 i had psychosis and got put in a looney bin for 6 months and wasn't allowed any fresh air for 3 of those months and im a non criminal. I was forced to take drugs even though a family member stated they didnt want me on medication. You get treat worse than criminals in them places and get taken the piss out of. The first phychiatrist i saw said ''she wasn't a baby like me''. Hows that for professionalism? I told the man phychiatrist that he was sick drugging up kids as young as 6 or 7 and he just said ''hhmmm''.

All these phychiatrists and nurses act like they know what they are talking about they can read as many books as they want about mental health but until they experience it for themselves they won't understand it. Just like you won't and just like i didn't until i experienced it for myself. I can honestly say from been 15 to 18 was the worst years of my life i ended up hurting my eyes through it all and have to live with it for the rest of my life now. I never self harmed in my life either until the mental health services got involved with me and made me wish i was dead. Once the mental health services get involved with you they don't like to leave you alone until they completely ruin your life and body for you.
blueriversbeast
Posted on 25 February 18 at 13:42
Side note: Edith Finch is an amazing game, I haven't felt the way I did after I finished it in who knows how long.
Stealth David
Stealth David
Posted on 25 February 18 at 17:44
Well this escalated fast
Follow me on Twitter for giveaways @StealthDavid
farmer bandit
farmer bandit
Posted on 25 February 18 at 17:56
Excellent article it really helps raise awareness for such mental health issues many of us face.
For me forza is my escape. I can make it as challenging or easy as I wish but casually driving the circuits helps me escape.
Life is strange was also a defining moment in deepening my understanding of such mental trauma. I must get round to playing before the storm.
Go games!
Additionally climbing real mountains in life especially in winter conditions is amazing brain therapy.
Get out there an get some exercise to balance your gaming time you'll get so much benefit. smile
kintaris
kintaris
Posted on 25 February 18 at 18:48
farmer bandit said:
Excellent article it really helps raise awareness for such mental health issues many of us face.
For me forza is my escape. I can make it as challenging or easy as I wish but casually driving the circuits helps me escape.
Life is strange was also a defining moment in deepening my understanding of such mental trauma. I must get round to playing before the storm.
Go games!
Additionally climbing real mountains in life especially in winter conditions is amazing brain therapy.
Get out there an get some exercise to balance your gaming time you'll get so much benefit. smile
Forza is an excellent example, thank you!

Exercise is important although many suffering, whether mentally or physically, may find it difficult in practice. I myself am not quite up to mountain climbing but I did take a snowshoe trip up a small peak in Norway and it certainly did clear my head for a little while!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.
Evandalist
Evandalist
Posted on 25 February 18 at 19:26, Edited on 25 February 18 at 19:28 by Evandalist
Ehh, I'm not going to escalate this any further, but I have experience with mental health issues too, and medication quite literally saved my life and the lives of many people I've known throughout my life, so I'm not going to sit here and whine about the pharmaceutical companies that poured millions of dollars and thousands of man hours in to researching and developing these drugs making a profit off of them. They're not even that expensive to begin with if you have decent health insurance. Also, just because you had a few shit experiences with a few shit doctors doesn't automatically make all doctors and mental health professionals shit. I had a shit doctor once too, but I left his care and found someone much better - I didn't hold that one personal experience with that one doctor up as evidence of all doctors being shit.

(I'm speaking strictly on the United States here - Your mileage may vary)

Great article, by the way. I meant to put that in my original post. I'd love to see more games deal with these issues as well as issues regarding physical health issues like handicaps or degenerative diseases. Particularly a big budget game that would get a lot more attention than these indie titles, but for now I'm just happy that some developers out there aren't afraid to tackle the issue.

Lastly, I've found that gaming doesn't really help my depression whatsoever. It can be a nice distraction from time to time, but distracting yourself from your problems doesn't make them go away.
Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into https://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.

3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.

4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.

These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.