Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

The Mountains We Make: Celeste and Mental Health

AuthorMessage
Vaughan14
Vaughan14
Posted on 26 February 18 at 03:30
If only in real life you could use assist mode and get equally rewarded for half the effort though.
Legohead 1977
Legohead 1977
Posted on 26 February 18 at 10:19
To be honest it's not a subject I know too much about, but I do enjoy the escapism that games provide, depending on how I feel at the time that could be any number of games, or just cranking out some achievements.

Very interesting article.
Legohead 1977
kintaris
kintaris
Posted on 26 February 18 at 11:02, Edited on 26 February 18 at 11:06 by kintaris
Vaughan14 said:
If only in real life you could use assist mode and get equally rewarded for half the effort though.
But you can in some respects and I think that's the point.

Basic example is the classic person stubbornly carrying all the groceries from the car themselves, or putting up a piece of furniture by themselves. They can get someone else to help and get the same "reward" (groceries in, shelf up) for half the effort.

But it's also true of people suffering to overcome personal issues or goals. Sometimes we convince ourselves we don't need or deserve help because it tarnishes the reward. But if the end result is the same, why not take the help?

It's easier said than done and there are situations where it can be beneficial to take the harder route. What I like about Celeste is that it has the discussion in the first place, both in the story and the gameplay.
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 26 February 18 at 13:54
Fantastic piece. A really great and relevant bit of writing - eclipses that pointless 'cults' shit the other day smile

Seriously though, a really great read and, like the games themselves are tied into these subjects, your article was perfectly tied into those games. Excellent!
SerRoderick
SerRoderick
Posted on 26 February 18 at 19:52
Love this game. I've gotten all the achievements for it except Beat Chapter 6 B-Side... problem is I've beaten it on two separate save files and it doesn't pop. Anyone else having this problem, or know how to fix? Thanks!!
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 27 February 18 at 16:35
I want to read this but i also don't want spoilers for multiple of the games you mentioned lol... gotta pass for now :'(
Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
kintaris
kintaris
Posted on 27 February 18 at 16:44
GRAND NOBLE said:
I want to read this but i also don't want spoilers for multiple of the games you mentioned lol... gotta pass for now :'(
There's only spoilers of any significance for Celeste itself. If you know what the others are about thematically, you'll be fine.

The article will still be around once you've finished them all, of course wink
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.