Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Sensory Indulgence: The Power of a Great Video Game Soundtrack

• madmaxeymadmaxey395,028
    Posted on 03 March 18 at 16:50
    Axiom Verge imo has one of the best OST’s ever. Soundtracks dont make a game but definitely can make a game better.
  • IllegallySamIllegallySam1,272,514
    Posted on 03 March 18 at 16:54
    I always listen to video game soundtracks whenever I need to listen to something, whether it's while working on stuff, walking around from place to place, or just while eating. I listen to them way more than traditional music, outside of a couple of artists. I don't find myself delving into the OSTs of AAA games too often unlike what was said in the article, but my choice is often a lot of indie and Nintendo soundtracks. The only soundtrack I've purchased to date is the one for Bastion, and one of the best indie soundtracks is for Crypt of the Necrodancer, which doesn't have just one soundtrack, but 7, all of which cover the same songs but in entirely different ways. Several other games with phenomenal soundtracks are Electronic Super Joy and Rayman Legends (Those music levels are the best part of the game). This doesn't even include all of the Nintendo franchises that I always come back to, from all of the Mario to Pokemon to Kirby, etc. They all have different but phenomenal music to listen to, and range from orchestral to big band arrangements to other styles entirely with all of their modern games. I can always appreciate a good soundtrack in the background of what I'm playing, but the best stuff is the one's that I'll go back and look up later on YouTube and listen to in my free time.
  • SchinderdivSchinderdiv684,542
    Posted on 03 March 18 at 17:08
    The Witcher 3 IS the definitive video game soundtrack. I have the CD & the complete vinyl collection that includes both DLC. I listen to it a LOT still, and it makes sitting in traffic that much better. I built a powerful system in my vehicle, so it's fun to listen to it very loud.

I have the Little Nightmares soundtrack on CD too. I wish more physical games would bundle a soundtrack CD with them (being a collector of CD & vinyl). I did buy a digital soundtrack of Moon Hunters though, mostly because my wife really enjoys that one.

One other I found myself surpringly enjoying are the sea shanties from Assassin's Creed.
    Streets Ahead
  • Posted on 03 March 18 at 17:38
    My university offered a selected topic last year called Game Audio Development and it was honestly fascinating. You wouldn't even believe how much effort goes into creating amazing soundtracks for games from scratch. I hardly ever listen to game soundtracks, whether they're licensed music or created just for the game, outside of games, but there are definitely a few that have stuck with me. Halo 3, Beautiful Katamari, and Fallout 3 are examples.
  • Posted on 03 March 18 at 17:39, Edited on 03 March 18 at 17:40 by Thickly Settled
    Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Oblivion & Skyrim........three things Id take to a deserted island

......oh and a thngy to play it on, four things I'd take to a deserted island.

....and a solar charger
    ....and water I guess
  • Pembo 1996Pembo 19961,263,047
    Posted on 03 March 18 at 18:14, Edited on 03 March 18 at 18:55 by Pembo 1996
    Pokémon will always be at the top of the video game music list for me. The soundtracks for Gens 1 - 5 are brilliant, infinitely rememberable and extremely nostalgic. There’s always a good mix of the more upbeat and exciting trainer and legendary themes, like the Champion and Red theme from Gen 2, to the slower and more melancholic themes, like Verdanturf Town and Ever Grande City from Gen 3. They always find a way to create a memorable soundtrack, and whenever I think I’ve decided that one Gen is my favourite, I listen to another and chane my mind. The music in these games elevates them to be much better games, and they wouldn’t be the same without them.

Additionally, if anyone hasn’t played Lost Odyssey, I highly recommend it. A great game with a great soundtrack
    Come On, Blue Falcon
  • planting42planting421,818,497
    Posted on 03 March 18 at 18:47
    Not what you'd expect from a Air Combat game but Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation Achievements really uses music to its advantage to set the stage for battles. The most epic one is the Liberation of Gracemaria as it really gets you in the mood to take back what's yours!

Another overlooked game when it comes to music that really sets the mood... Civilization 4 - Baba Yetu (Christopher Tin) is probably one of the best songs ever used in a game intro.
    https://www.trueachievements.com/event/Winter-Olympics-2018
  • Posted on 03 March 18 at 18:51, Edited on 03 March 18 at 18:55 by iTz Canada Ehh
    planting42 said:
    Not what you'd expect from a Air Combat game but Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation Achievements really uses music to its advantage to set the stage for battles. The most epic one is the Liberation of Gracemaria as it really gets you in the mood to take back what's yours!

Another overlooked game when it comes to music that really sets the mood... Civilization 4 - Baba Yetu (Christopher Tin) is probably one of the best songs ever used in a game intro.
    Funny you mention the Baba Yetu one, as we used that as an example during one of our lectures in my Game Audio Development class I mentioned above. It's absolutely fantastic and whoever hasn't heard it I'd definitely recommend giving it a listen. I believe it is also the only piece of music composed for a video game to win a Grammy.

Also I'm sure people will mention soundtracks from the 8-bit era as being their fav. There's a website we used in class to make our own chiptune melodies for an assignment. If you're interested in it here's the link:

https://www.beepbox.co

Pretty fun to just mess around with everything in there.
  • Guirec730Guirec730354,726
    Posted on 03 March 18 at 19:00
    Best new game composer: Mick Gordon. He made the new Doom complete.
    State of the badass art.
  • BigNev44BigNev441,811,352
    Posted on 03 March 18 at 19:03
    2 examples of terrific soundtracks i remember loving while playing their games was:

- Anarchy Reigns (had to get the OST after playing it the first time, Jazz House rules)
    - Quantum of Solace (they had the theme of a Bond experience done right)

If a game has a great OST, it brings a new level of immersion while playing it.
  • Posted on 03 March 18 at 19:26
    The only thing that stands out recently is Skyrim and that’s not very recent. Most music doesn’t grab me in games, I turn the volume up to hear what is being said and not the music.

I think a game has to be good for me to even care about the music. If a game is able to really put me into the moment the music can help elevate that moment. If the game is crap, I just want to finish it and am mentally checked out. If it’s really bad I might mute the game and just listen to a podcast of something.

Last thing, if you’re hitting the gym you’ve GOT to have some AC/DC on your playlist. That’s as common knowledge as breathing is good and loot boxes are bad.
  • Achilles8249Achilles8249740,523
    Posted on 03 March 18 at 19:48
    Ikaruga has an amazing soundtrack, buy it for the music and not the game. Its only $10.
  • Cellar AtticCellar Attic500,918
    Posted on 03 March 18 at 20:21
    Most of the time I play video games with no volume and listen to my own music. But, I was thinking to myself the other day: "I wonder what the best video game soundtracks are?"
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant740,837
    Posted on 03 March 18 at 20:49
    I really enjoy listening to soundtracks especially when studying, and even listen to area sounds on YT.

Some of my favourites are Red Dead Redemption, Oblivion, Skyrim and the AC series. LA Noire is also good but too short.

Some of my favourite radios are from Vice City and Mafia III.

Music has the power to change the whole mood in games. Red Dead does this well, especially when Jamie Liddell plays late on.
    This post may be sarcastic.
  • II REB IIII REB II408,718
    Posted on 03 March 18 at 21:54
    Jet Set Radio Future....
  • MustaPastoriMustaPastori655,734
  • pantyhamsterpantyhamster809,331
    Posted on 03 March 18 at 22:19
    I've always enjoyed game music separate from the game. I remember taping the music to the Thunder Force games on MegaDrive when i was a kid. When WipeOut on the PlayStation came out that blew my mind! I still buy a few game soundtracks such as Super Meat Boy, Jet Set Radio. And the odd track that reminds me of a great game, like the title music from Walking Dead Michonne or the end credit music to Red Dead Redemption. my all time favourite game soundtrack would probably be Ori and the blind forest. Still gives me the feels!
  • Posted on 03 March 18 at 22:29
    Music has always been important when I'm playing a game, even all the way back in the 80s with NES games. Games like Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden just had amazing soundtracks and it bolsters the experience of already great games. As for more recent games, RPGs like Nier and Dragon's Dogma have great soundtracks. Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock both have soundtracks that help mold each game into a unique experience when playing for the first time. And of course there's Brutal Legend, which has the best soundtrack of any game ever even though the game itself was a massive disappointment.
  • Posted on 03 March 18 at 22:34
    OCARINA OF TIME HYPE
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.