Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Sensory Indulgence: The Power of a Great Video Game Soundtrack

• darkling1542darkling15421,488,651
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 08:17
    Dead rising was full of great tracks. I also still remember the music that was in the background the first time i encountered the flood in Halo 3.

Jet Set Radio Futuuuure! Bring it back people! Some really great soundtracks in that one. Just want another excuse to play it and some achievements!
  • C64 MatC64 Mat1,358,643
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 08:34
    planting42 said:
    Not what you'd expect from a Air Combat game but Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation Achievements really uses music to its advantage to set the stage for battles. The most epic one is the Liberation of Gracemaria as it really gets you in the mood to take back what's yours!

Another overlooked game when it comes to music that really sets the mood... Civilization 4 - Baba Yetu (Christopher Tin) is probably one of the best songs ever used in a game intro.
    That very track defines the Civ games for me. It sounds prehistoric, from a lost time, but it's filled with hope and positivity. You can imagine the first settlers heading out into a unknown world, singing it as they travel.
  • NawtyCawtyNawtyCawty681,248
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 09:27
    I can't say I ever listen to the music in games. It is is either 1- generic whiny classical music crap found in most rpgs and shooters or 2 - generic thrashy grunge/rock/metal crap found in most racing games. If the game allows I turn it off instantly the game starts up. If people listen to game soundtracks away from when actually playing games they need to get out more imo.
  • matdanmatdan796,595
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 10:09
    NawtyCawty said:
    I can't say I ever listen to the music in games. It is is either 1- generic whiny classical music crap found in most rpgs and shooters or 2 - generic thrashy grunge/rock/metal crap found in most racing games. If the game allows I turn it off instantly the game starts up. If people listen to game soundtracks away from when actually playing games they need to get out more imo.
    Don't cut yourself up too much with all that edge.
    Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon, Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath!
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant741,679
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 11:11
    D1SCO said:
    What is this "gym" of which you speak?
    You can find one in each major town. If you defeat the leader of each gym, you get a badge on your way to the Elite Four.
  • Posted on 04 March 18 at 11:53
    matdan said:
    NawtyCawty said:
    Don't cut yourself up too much with all that edge.
    Sorry, Beyonce or Kanye "music" is not making it to video games yet. Keep them games muted.
  • SplattadorSplattador370,895
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 11:55
    I'll be here all year talking about the game scores that have had huge effects on me. Off the top of my head, here are just some of my favorites (any order): Final Fantasy VII (PSX), Super Castlevania IV (SNES), Ico (PS2), Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD), Shadowgate (NES), Sonic CD (Sega CD - US and Japanese scores), and Medal of Honor (PSX).

If you're unfamiliar with some of those scores, do yourselves a favor and check them out. SOOOOOO many great memories from just thinking of them.
  • Posted on 04 March 18 at 12:13
    Zelda and Final Fantasy are my favorites
  • Posted on 04 March 18 at 13:12
    Video game music really is underappreciated;

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Mass Effect and Halo are amongst some of the most beautiful pieces I've heard, especially when you consider that both Halo and Mass Effect featured artists such as Faunts and Incubus (both fantastic and underrated bands).

It might sound silly but the music is on the of most exciting parts for me when Bethesda announce a game! clap
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,552,450
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 14:38
    I don't tend to have the volume up too loud as I'm often watching TV at the same time. I remember odd tunes from games, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they have a profound effect on me. Maybe I need to raise the volume!

To be honest I like soundtracks from movies, usually the opening or closing credits are the ones that stick with me Warcraft had a great theme, as did Buried and obviously Jurassic Park...my favourite of all time is the original Pelham 123, but very few would enhance the emotion of the moment. That first dinosaur sighting in Jurassic Park and one piece of music from Meet Joe Black really nail it, but mainly they are just tunes I like.
    Legohead 1977
  • iTz Canada EhhiTz Canada Ehh1,004,819
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 15:24
    NawtyCawty said:
    Good thing you are and will never have to be involved in creating or deciding which music goes into video games then because the games (and soundtracks) would be shit. Maybe you should try leaving mom's basement once in a while instead of going on forums bashing other people for what they like.
  • AntonDeBlancAntonDeBlanc140,199
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 15:45, Edited on 04 March 18 at 15:46 by AntonDeBlanc
    Soundtracks play a vital role in games as part of the cohesive experience in my opinion. I can't think of many really great games that have bad soundtracks (anyone?), but a fantastic soundtrack certainly can help elevate a game to greatness.

I'm curious to know how playing a game can influence your opinion of the music itself. Is it possible to like a particular track of a game you've never played as much as you would if you had actually played the game? I really like 'Leaving Earth' from Mass Effect 3. Haven't played the game. I'm sure I'd enjoy it more if I had some in-game association, but I've still appreciated it as a piece of music.

Also, nobody has mentioned 'Icarus' from Deus Ex: HR. I like the OST in general, but that track is amazing.
  • Guirec730Guirec730354,977
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 18:10
    The credits from Deus Ex Hr had bomb ass tuneage.
    State of the badass art.
  • planting42planting421,821,662
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 18:55
    x Mataeus x said:
    planting42 said:
    Not what you'd expect from a Air Combat game but Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation Achievements really uses music to its advantage to set the stage for battles. The most epic one is the Liberation of Gracemaria as it really gets you in the mood to take back what's yours!

Another overlooked game when it comes to music that really sets the mood... Civilization 4 - Baba Yetu (Christopher Tin) is probably one of the best songs ever used in a game intro.
    That very track defines the Civ games for me. It sounds prehistoric, from a lost time, but it's filled with hope and positivity. You can imagine the first settlers heading out into a unknown world, singing it as they travel.
    Being as the words are basically the Lord's Prayer (in Swahili), one could call those settlers - missionaries smile
    https://www.trueachievements.com/event/Winter-Olympics-2018
  • Posted on 04 March 18 at 20:10
    madmaxey said:
    Axiom Verge imo has one of the best OST’s ever. Soundtracks dont make a game but definitely can make a game better.
    I'll second that. As soon as the first track started pulsing through my headset, I was like "Ohhhhh shit, this is gonna be good." I love it.
  • Dresden N7Dresden N7498,135
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 21:31, Edited on 04 March 18 at 21:34 by Dresden N7
    Love the soundtrack for the Mass Effect trilogy. Great mix of 80's synthesized tunes and epic production music. And much of Halo's identity is wrapped up in a mix of classical, rock, and chanting from the genius that is Marty O'Donnell.
  • Posted on 04 March 18 at 23:03, Edited on 04 March 18 at 23:13 by Kennyannydenny
    ACII - Venice Rooftops
    Halo 3 - One Final Effort
    The Witcher 3 - Fields of Ard Skellig
    Dragon Age: Inquisition - Main Theme
    Mass Effect 3 - Mars
    Halo 2 - Mjolnir Mix
    C&C Red Alert 3 - Soviet March
    GTA IV - Soviet Connection
    Fable: The Lost Chapters - Fable Theme
    Dragon Age: Origins - Main Theme
    Skyrim - Main theme
    COD Modern Warfare 2 - End Credits
    Star Wars Republic Commando - Vode An
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Main Menu theme
    Gears of War 2 - Heroic Assault

These are alongside my most favorite video game music, amongst many others.

I absolutely LOVE video game soundtracks, especially when made by big orchestras. Very immersive music that gives a certain ambiance, a feeling, you see a story before you, when closing your eyes. Let you take away by the music. Some of my list above are really fast paced (looking at you Mjolnir Mix) whilst others are really calming (looking at you Fields of Ard Skellig).

I do also like songs that are sang in made up languages, like Vode An of Republic Commando and the Skyrim main theme. smile

I listen to these scores a lot and am really fond of games that have awesome music, playing at the right times, boosting the game's enjoyness even further. Some scenes would never be as awesome without the music to complement it.

EDIT
    Oh, side note. Not from a video game but Mark Petrie made a great song called Majestic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV9lMX4AjTw I always find that worth listening too. I always get chills down my spine 'cause of this song laugh
  • Q u 4 lK eQ u 4 lK e790,865
    Posted on 05 March 18 at 01:13
    Doom...the new DOOM or the classic MIDIs. If that didn't pump you up to kill demons, I don't know what will.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle1,340,676
    Posted on 05 March 18 at 03:39
    iTz Canada Ehh said:
    Funny you mention the Baba Yetu one, as we used that as an example during one of our lectures in my Game Audio Development class I mentioned above. It's absolutely fantastic and whoever hasn't heard it I'd definitely recommend giving it a listen. I believe it is also the only piece of music composed for a video game to win a Grammy.
    Pretty sure it was also the only one that was ever nominated for one. I loved Peter Hollens & Malukah's version of the song.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • ElyohElyoh912,536
    Posted on 05 March 18 at 08:44
    Q u 4 lK e said:
    Doom...the new DOOM or the classic MIDIs. If that didn't pump you up to kill demons, I don't know what will.
    I love the DOOM soundtracks, even in their full MIDI glory. Andrew Hulshalt did a good reimagining of the soundtrack for Brutal Doom, for people interested...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGK1dr-Ql0w
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.