After an euphoric beginning of F1 2012 last year, with time, a lot of negative aspects concerning the game were discovered and revealed. The bug list seems to be endless when I look back at this game. I'm just registering a few major problems the game had:
- The penalty system was totally buggy ( you get crashed by someone else and you get a penalty )
- You coult take short cuts either in time trial or in another gaming mode without having your lap be invalid or being slowed down automatically which lead to distorted competition and manipulated leaderboards
- The bots often used soft tires twice in a race with only one pit stop ( which does not accord to the rules of F1 and massively increases the average speed of bots .) Due to that, bots on legendary difficulty were abnormal quick as you had to switch on the hard tires compared to them. Often really frustrating!
- It was kind of impossible to retain the car once it started to drift which meant you lost your front wing 80% of the time when you accidently accelerated to early or what ever ( even with traction control on ).
As I already said, this are only a few things which caused furrowed brows such as disappointment.
Concerning the new game F1 2013, of course, the expectations were high.
I have to say that I'm quite pleased with the game so far. It seems like Codemasters have listenend to the community at least a little bit.
F1 2013 offers the same gaming modes as in 2012 but includes the classic mode. A great thing especially for very big fans out there as it contains old tracks such as many old cars.
Coming back to the cars from the actual season in the game I must say that there are major improvements concerning the feeling of the car. This is the first time where I can put off certain driving assists and feel comfortable with it. You are now able to retain the car once you start to drift. It feels really realistic when u notice your rear tires spinning and you are able to accelerate more patiently. Putting off your driving assists makes you faster and now, it is even more fun for the player. Additionally the tire consumption seems to be much more realistic than ever before as your driving style now has a bigger influence on how your tires fret which somehow forces the player to look after his tires. Accordingly, the races are now much more interesting and require the player to think about his strategy really considered.
Codemasters added a new difficulty for the bots which makes the fifth one ( Legend ) absolutely challenging. The difference now is that the bots finally follow the rules of the official F1 and now also use every tire available in a (dry) race at least once. The weather system looks like being improved too as bots may now stay on dry tires although it already started to rain for a few laps. But now they will be much slowlier if they do so. Now, the player is able to feel how the track changes each lap with increasing rain. I already won a race this way, when I decided to change to Intermediate tires in lap 13 of 14 while the bots stayed out on dry tires, and coult win the race.
The KERS feeling is now more realistic too since it does not feel like a turbo power boost anymore. It makes you faster but not as noticeable as in F1 2012 which equals to reality.
But now it's time to be knocked out of the skies.
Unfortunately, there are still aspects concerning the game where Codemasters obviously did not change anything or did something wrong.
I must say, that the online competition is still falsified.
- You are still able to take short cuts, without having your lap be invalid which often can gain you an advantage over one lap for about 0,5 seconds
- The tire consumption is more realistic than before but I would say it's now too fast compared to the bots
-> I had several races so far where I needed to change my strategy to 2 stops because the car was impossible to control. Especially the soft tires seem to be down extremely quick even before the calculated lap you are proposed to enter the pit.
Well, I did not discovered every single detail of the game so far but generally this are the main aspects which are important.
In conclusion one can say that Codemasters fixed or improved certain details especially the physics concerning the car. The menue looks awesome and the gaming modes are ( still ) diversified. But on the other hand we still have to accept that Codemasters did nothing to improve fair competition neither in time attack or time trial nor in Multiplayer.
Hopefully you liked my review. If so, please rate or comment it and if not, please tell me why.