This page will provide information on achieving each of the three endings in the game.
Click away if you want to avoid spoilers.
Before I get into the endings, I want to quickly go over the "I know what I want" achievement. This achievement is still a mystery, as many people have reported it to unlock at different times. Possible requirements are as follows:
- Complete the game twice and see two different endings.
- Complete the game seeing either Ending 1 or Ending 3. You essentially make up your mind in these two endings.
Unlocked by 6,990 tracked gamers (15% - TA Ratio = 2.60)
There are three endings you need to witness before you receive your completion.
The endings are confirmed to work on a point system. For every good/bad thing you do in relation to the endings, you receive or lose a "point". The number of points you get will determine your ending.
Ending 1: Self-portrait ending (AKA the selfish ending):
This is achieved for essentially being selfish throughout the game. Ignoring your family and focusing on your paintings. Possible contributors to this ending:
- Deathless run (never go near wife)
- Stare at paintings frequently
- Follow rats whenever possible and stare at the disappearing rats.
- Interacting with only story related items OR items relating to your selfish personality (crooked glasses is an example)
- Possibly achieved on a slower run.
- Possibly achieved for going below the neutral ending.
- While you shouldn't have too much issue seeing this ending, you may use the video below to help. In my experience, collecting perishable collectibles does not impact on the ending.
Ending 2: Wife ending (AKA neutral ending):
This is confirmed to be the neutral (loop) ending and is achieved for gaining a neutral number of points in relation to the other two endings. I gather that the vast majority of people received the wife ending as their first ending because they aren't necessarily aware of the different endings and thus they don't play with this in mind. In other words, they will most likely stop and smell the roses, pick up a lot of items, and possibly die once or twice. The Finishing Touch achievement has been reported to only unlock after seeing this ending. This ending is the easiest to see.
- While you shouldn't have too much issue seeing this ending, you may use the video below to help. You need to do every single thing done exactly as it is done in the video to increase your chance of receiving this ending. This literally includes looking at the same walls, spending the same time in rooms, spending same time looking at objects etc. I can't emphasis the word exact enough here.
Ending 3: Wife and child ending (AKA family/regretful ending):
- Throughout the game you should ignore anything relating to your selfish past (except story objects of course)
- Pick up items relating to your wife
- Approach your wife at EVERY encounter and "embrace" her
- Ignore rats and paintings as much as possible
- During the child chapter, approach the child in the red hall rather than back away
- Seeing as it's the most tricky ending to witness, I'd highly recommend you precisely follow the video below. You need to do every single thing done exactly as it is done in the video to increase your chance of receiving this ending. This literally includes looking at the same walls, spending the same time in rooms, spending same time looking at objects etc. I can't emphasis the word exact enough here.
Unlocked by 3,447 tracked gamers (7% - TA Ratio = 3.71)
Congrats on finishing Layers of Fear!
Find anything you think is wrong with this walkthrough? Help us fix it by posting in its Walkthrough Thread
This walkthrough is the property of TrueAchievements.com. This walkthrough and any content included may not be reproduced without written permission. TrueAchievements.com and its users have no affiliation with any of this game's creators or copyright holders and any trademarks used herein belong to their respective owners.