6. Play Now Mode
These achievements are almost identical to last year. The achievement “Throwin’ Dots” has an easier requirement this time, and “Reach Out” (one of the harder ones) has been removed. These are the only differences. All 9 of these achievements can all be earned in any game mode, but I recommend doing them in Play Now as it’s more straightforward to do.
Every achievement is obtainable against the CPU, but I strongly recommend you play solo with a 2nd controller at your disposal, as you can manipulate or idle it as you wish to ensure the outcome(s) you desire.
Full Set Achievement:
As per last year, the main “grind” in Madden NFL 18 is with the achievement:
Win a game with each of the 32 NFL teams - wins count across all game modes.
For this achievement, you will be required a win with each of the default 32 NFL teams.
In alphabetical order, they are:
Bears, Bengals, Bills, Broncos, Browns, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Chargers, Chiefs, Colts, Cowboys, Dolphins, Eagles, Falcons, 49ers, Giants, Jaguars, Jets, Lions, Packers, Panthers, Patriots, Raiders, Rams, Ravens, Redskins, Saints, Seahawks, Steelers, Texans, Titans, Vikings
The game does NOT track who you’ve won with so you must do this yourself. Cross off every time you win a game. From scratch, this grind takes about 4 hours. Also note that, whilst myself and most of my friends have been a-ok, some have reported this as being glitchy. Be sure to quit out to menu after each win, and assure that you see the autosave after each win.
CREDIT: SmittyLAX35 and CareBear1770 both report that winning a game in franchise mode as each works if for whatever reason the above does NOT work.
To do this, follow the same time/game settings below, but start an offline franchise as a coach of any team. Once you're in, press RS and "create a character", selecting the head coaches of all 31 other teams. Then follow the same steps, but as each team in franchise mode.
CREDIT Nightmare Clown - OVERTIME WINS DON'T COUNT. I didn't realise this, but the method I discuss results in regulation wins anyway, so don't worry.
I recommend you begin working on this immediately for efficiency, whilst working on the other misc. achievements detailed below during the 32 games. Go through the list alphabetically or by division for the easiest time. Maybe do 8 a day for 4 days, as it can get quite boring. If you miss the achievement you want that game, don’t worry! Just finish the game and win it. It isn’t wasted time if you’re going through the teams, as its helping progress towards ‘Full Set” anyway. For the most part, these achievements can be earned in the very quick games (set up detailed very shortly) but if you feel pushed for time, adjust to your liking!
Once “Full Set” is the only achievement left on this page you don’t have, you’ll want to get through the rest of the matches very quickly. To get a win in 6-7 minutes, I have the following advice
- Quarter Length – 1 minute
- Accelerated Play Clock – 10 seconds (for a couple of the achievements we will want to change this, but for “Full Set” this is gold)
- Difficulty –Rookie.
- If you begin by kicking to the Player 2, kick the ball and use your 2nd controller to run out the back of your end zone (if you catch the ball in the end zone itself, move past the 0 and then back or it'll count as a touchback I think.) This will concede a safety in the favour of Player 1, making the score 2-0. Punt the ball back to Profile 1, and run the ball for the rest of the game with whichever controller is on offense.
- If Player 1 is receiving the ball, use your 1st controller and return the ball as fast as possible. Then set up a Hail Mary pass on your first play with Player 1, and with Player 2 go to Special Team plays and set up a Field Goal Block. As soon as you snap, select a receiver (be quick) and run it to the end zone for a touchdown (you should have daylight). Convert the Point after Attempt (PAT), and you’ll be up 7-0. After that, just kick the ball back to Profile 1, and run the ball for the rest of the game with whichever controller is on offense.
All Other Achievements:
The remaining achievements can be done in any order.
To receive “Situational Awareness”, go to the very bottom option when selecting a play in-game, and select “coaching adjustments”. Make any adjustment in the 4th quarter, and the achievement will unlock. Easiest achievement of the bunch
To receive “Move Master”, just keep running the ball with the “RB Power O” play. Eventually, you’ll get button prompts to evade a defender. Complete the QTE, and you’ll get the achievement. This will almost certainly come naturally so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.
Successfully fake-out a defender when prompted to perform a ball carrier special move.
To unlock “Throwin’ Dots”, note that the requirement has changed since last year (so don’t do what I did and wonder for 5 mins why the old mechanic wasn’t initiating!). All you have to do this time around is throw a touchdown with a low pass. To do this, press LT as you throw to a receiver. As soon as a receiver scores on one such pass, the achievement will pop.
I’d recommend combining “2nd Rounder” and “Comeback City” together. I recommend you turn clock acceleration OFF for this achievement to give you more time, but honestly, if you are playing against a 2nd controller 1 min quarters should be plenty of time.
- 1st Half (Q1 & 2): As Player 1, concede a safety. Punt the ball to Player 2, then Score a touchdown with Player 2, scoring the PAT. This will put Player 1 9-0 down. When Player 1 receives the ball again, concede another safety. Punt the ball to Player 2, then score another touchdown with Player 2. This time, do NOT score a PAT. This will put Player 1 17-0 down. You should still have time to miss 2 field goals (just try them from wherever you are on the field and purposely miss) as Player 1. If not, ensure you do so in the 2nd Half.
- 2nd Half (Q3 & 4): Reverse the above method with Player 1 doing all the scoring. You should be at 17-17. Then made sure you get within field goal range (as close to the end zone as possible) as Player 1 and take a time out with under 10 seconds left in Q4 (I did around 8-9 INCASE my FG got blocked). Score a field goal, and “2nd Rounder” should unlock immediately. Run down the clock and you should also earn “Comeback City”.
Make game-winning FG under 10 sec. after missing 2 or more previous kick attempts.
Comeback and win when trailing by 17+ points at halftime.
For “Lockdown Corner”, it’s identical to last year. Once again, don't need actually need to be the cornerback, but it's a good position to use anyway so to be safe we will be using a CB. I’m a 49er (if you hadn’t guessed already), so I’d recommend loading the “49ERSLEGACY” roster and using that, as it’ll make pressing easy with Richard Sherman (please ignore the identical ratings to normal on Play Now after loading the OP rosters, custom rosters DO work but the ratings are glitched to show the same as normal. Was the same last year!)
When in game, pause, go to your depth chart and make a mental note of a particular CB for the team you're playing as (i.e. Richard Sherman). When on defense, tap until you are in control of that player, double tap to lock on that player and go nice and close to the WR (without being offside) until you see a prompt. As soon as the ball is hiked, press in the direction of the receiver. The timing and spacing might take a little bit of deciphering, but you should see your player hold them in place. This is a press. Repeat it with the same CB twice more and you should unlock "Lockdown Corner".
I got "Not OP" without trying this year, during the MUT section. You too could potentially get this without trying if you're playing game for fun vs CPU.
As Player 2, set up a Hail Mary pass, and as Player 1 set up a zone defense scheme (such a player will have "Zone" in blue next to the play in your play menu.) When at the scrimmage line, click and select Spread so your Defensive Line doesn't go for the sack, then as Player 2 launch the ball as far down the field as you can, giving your receivers time to get down field. With Player 1, switch to the closest defender with and tap/hold with that defender to successfully swat the ball.
For whatever reason, this might take you a few attempts to get. Even after getting the "User Swat" notification under the scorecard, it didn't doesn’t always pop immediately. Don't fear, keep doing it and it WILL eventually.
Successfully use the swat mechanic to force an incomplete pass.
Finally, we have Triple Crown. This is easily the most difficult in the game, compared to last year where it was more a test of luck. For those who have tried and failed (like I have), methods from 17 and 18 don’t really work anymore, as they’ve completely nerfed the hit stick feature. Whereas last time having the fumble slider to 0, weak punter/quarterback and an OP roster causes fumbles 80-90% of the time, it does so more like 5% now.
However, Sashamorning and Jierda117 helped in finding a great method of setting up fumbles virtually every snap. Made a couple of tweaks, but the majority of the findings was their work
CREDIT: Sashamorning & Jierda117
Follow the video below, or these identical written steps.
- Pregame Step A – Settings > Share Manage Files > Community > Download “49ERSTRIPLECROWN” > Load “49ERSTRIPLECROWN”. This roster has maxed out defenders, and a terrible punter for Minnesota.
- Pregame Step B – Settings > Settings > Player Skill > Fumbles to 0 & Tackling to 100, also turn off play clock.
- Pregame Step C – Exhibitions > Play Now > Player 1 (achievement profile) as 49ers, Player 2 (dummy profile) as Vikings AND on ALL-MADDEN
NOW START THE GAME
- Step 1 – Have Player 1 (49ers) on Defense and Player 2 (Vikings) on Offense.
- Step 2 – Player 2 – Play Type > Special Teams > Fake Punt w/ Release. Player 1 – Formation > Quarter > Man Up 3 Deep.
- Step 3 – Press A & Up on the Left Stick on all 3 of the defensive linemen (big guys at the front). This will put them in zone, and they won’t rush the punter.
- Step 4 – Take Witherspoon as Player 1, go offside and put him to the direct LEFT of the Minnesota punter. Don’t worry about the flag, it’s a good thing.
- Step 5 – Snap the ball, and perform a strip tackle with RB. This nearly always causes a fumble. The tricky part is reclaiming it with Witherspoon. This is as tricky as ever, as the Vikings offensive line will naturally try to (and normally succeed in) reclaiming the ball. However, by putting our D-line in zone, we only have to worry about Withersppon or the Vikes reclaiming, not team-mates.
- Step 6 – If you were successful, DECLINE the penalty and your achievement will pop. If you were unsuccessful, ACCEPT the penalty for infinite retries, repeating steps 2 – 5 until this works.
Record a sack, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery with the same player on a single play.
Find anything you think is wrong with this walkthrough? Help us fix it by posting in its Walkthrough Thread
This walkthrough is the property of TrueAchievements.com. This walkthrough and any content included may not be reproduced without written permission. TrueAchievements.com and its users have no affiliation with any of this game's creators or copyright holders and any trademarks used herein belong to their respective owners.