11. Cobra Triangle (1989)
Cobra Triangle is a bizarre combination of object-based gameplay, racing and combat. The objects can include bomb disposal and rescuing swimmers, all whilst being attacked by enemies. Oh, and you’re in a speedboat...
There’s nothing too difficult in this game. Turn on Infinite Lives in the Cheat Menu so you never die and make liberal use of the Rewind feature when needed and it’ll be complete in no time. Start the game to unlock:
The first thing we need to do is finish all of the game’s levels, of which there are 25 in total. Make sure to hold whenever you cross a finish line in the game as this will perform a post-challenge spin. We need 50 of those in total so we may as well knock a few of them out as we progress. Also try and collect as many power-ups as you can – as well as making the game easier, there’s also an achievement for it.
The way the upgrades work is weird. Every time you pick up a pod it cycles through the four options (fire, speed, missile and force). When the one you want is flashing, hit to level it up. Upgrade the turbo first and then concentrate on maxing out your speed first as it’s the only way to finish some races. Don’t waste any on force as it only gives you temporary invincibility.
The best Fire upgrade is the shotgun (forwards spread of bullets). The best missiles are the fully upgraded ones.
Note: The order of levels you get depends on which directions you take when the river forks. There is no wrong direction to take. These are the types of stages you will encounter:
- Races simply involve getting to the end of the course within the time limit. Some races are against a current, where you will need to avoid obstacles as you go.
- Pod collections are like bonus stages – you just need to collect what you can in the time limit
- Mine Disposal involves moving mines from a red square to a green square while another boat tries to stop you. Best to collect the mines at full speed while facing the direction you need to go. Rewind is your friend whenever a bomb is stolen from you.
- Target shooting just requires you to shoot as many targets as you can before the end of the stage.
- Protecting swimmers requires you to stop enemy ships from stealing the swimmers out of your square. You can steal them back from other boats by destroying the boats then collecting the swimmers – you only need one to complete the stage. Best bet is to pick one swimmer and shoot any boat that comes near it.
- Waterfall jumping just requires you to hit each ramp as you go along – Rewind is your friend here.
- Boss stages require you to kill the boss within the time limit (see below for details)
- Sea monster – shoot at the base of its neck
- Crab – head around the back to the top right corner and shoot it in the face from behind
- Octopus – shoot it in the face
- Red Sea monster – drive to the top left corner and wait for the timer to run out
- Shark – shoot it in the teeth when it comes out of the water and try to avoid being swallowed. If it swims left, you go right so you should be ahead of it when it comes up. You can only hurt it by shooting directly from the front.
Once you’ve completed all 25 levels and the credits roll you will unlock:
Now, while you could start using saves at the end of races to churn out the different achievements, you’re going to need an overall score of 1,500,000 and the quickest way to do this is to simply play the game. Remember to pick up as many pods as you can, as well as holding when crossing finishing lines to perform post-challenge spins.
Once you’ve achieved 50 post-challenge spins you’ll unlock:
Cobra Triangle: Over time, perform 50 post-challenge spins.
Once you’ve collected 100 pods you’ll unlock:
Cobra Triangle: Collect 100 Power-Up Pods over time.
Note: This is easily boosted by keeping a save at the start of stage 2 as there are a loaf of pods on that level.
And finally, once you’ve accomplished a cumulative total score of 1,500,000 you’ll unlock:
Now it’s time to move on to the Snapshots. The first snapshot requires you to score 5000 points in 60 seconds. There’s nothing hard about this – especially if you use the ramps in the water to skip parts of the level. Once you’ve completed it you’ll unlock:
The second snapshot requires you to score 5000 points by shooting targets. Make sure to shoot the missile upgrades as they appear at the side of the river for easy score. Once you cross the finish line, hold to rack up a few more thousand points with a spin.
The third snapshot requires you to grab 5 pods in 30 seconds. The pods always seem to be a little more to the left compared to what is shown – turning your boat makes you more likely to collect them, but you need to recover when you land to keep going.
The fourth snapshot requires you to stay alive for 30 seconds while the octopus (they say it’s a squid, but it clearly has 8 tentacles...) tries to kill you – if it grabs you with its tentacles even once, you will fail. Your best bet is to drive up and down the left side of the screen. Just wait in one corner for the tentacles to spawn then quickly speed to the other and wait.
The fifth snapshot requires you to save one swimmer for 45 seconds. This one is tough. Try and shoot the UFOs as soon as they appear or they will freeze you – and you may not recover in time to save your swimmer. I found the best way was to literally stay in the starting spot and fire at the swimmer. This will easily destroy all of the boats and it only takes a couple of lucky UFO spawns to complete it. Once you’re done, you’ll unlock:
Complete all of the Cobra Triangle snapshots.
And that is all of the achievements and Stamps unlocked for this game. Congrats!
Find anything you think is wrong with this walkthrough? Help us fix it by posting in its Walkthrough Thread
This walkthrough is the property of TrueAchievements.com. This walkthrough and any content included may not be reproduced without written permission. TrueAchievements.com and its users have no affiliation with any of this game's creators or copyright holders and any trademarks used herein belong to their respective owners.