Red Dead Redemption is a wild west "Sanbox" third person shooter game developed by Rockstar Games,the makers of the blockbuster series "Grand Theft Auto".
-In the year of 1911,the questline features former outlaw "John Marston" and his quest to bring his former gang members to justice after the United States Government takes John's family away, and until John Marston can bring down him former brothers in arms,his family will be held in custody. John Marston,having no other choice,sets out to get his family back.
-This storyline,yet very simple succeeds very well in the vast variety of missions you would expect from a western video game such as train robberys,shootouts,raiding and destroying towns,hunting missions,chases,treasure hunting and much,much more to keep you entertained and is much satisfying for fans of the wild west.There are also many side missions where you can play poker,horeshoes,dice,arm wrestling,plus even more serious missions to stop attempted kidnappings,stolen horses,duels,and random gunfights or even hunt Grizzlies,Courgars,Wolves,Cows,Horses,Dogs,Bunnies,Snakes,Vultures and more animals as you are exploring RDR's beautiful and vast landscape
-I myself thoroughly enjoyed most of the missions and side missions AND distractions while not being a big,big western fan (movies and TV shows,love the games) but some of the missions seem to be "fillers" and seem to be there just to expand the games long length,and I know it has been mentioned before,but some of the characters in the game promise you information,if you run out and complete their dirty work,but when you come back to recieve your intel your "friends" fail to comply with their end of the bargain.
- All in all,I very much enjoyed Red Dead Redemptions storyline and missions,and the story is one of the main strengths of this fantasmal game (I think I made I word)
-It is very easy to cast Red Dead Redemption as "Grand Theft Auto" in the wild west,and in a way that is true,but it is much more than that. The cover sytem from GTA 4 is back and is followed by a much more satisfying aiming sytem,but if You've played Grand Theft Auto 4,then you will be very familiar with the game's controls with X being to jump,A being to sprint,LT being to aim/lock on,etc,etc. The gameplay is very smooth,especially the horse's. The horses are also smooth,with them being able to sprint and jump aswell. And if you so need to you can also enter firefights from your horse and shoot on him/her which,again,handles with ease.
- Red Dead Redemption is also home to authentic wild west weapons with a vast variety or rifles,shotguns and revolvers,to throwing weapons such as Dynamite,Fire Bottles and Throwing Knives. Let's also not forget about the Lasso in which you can cath and break wild horses,or capture and hogtie,anyone you desire. In RDR,there are many shops in all of the games cities where you can buy bandanas to sheild your identity,camping supplies,horses,guns and also sell your meat and assorted other body parts that you have scavenged from RDR's wildlife.
Graphics and Presentation:
- Let me put it this way. This game is FREAKING GORGEOUS. The water,the canyons and even the grass and rocks were all crafted beautifully by the devious minds at Rockstar. To put it short:This game will make you feel like you are actually in the wild west,even if you are playing on a SD TV.
Voice Acting and Score:
- The voice acting is amazing also. From voice actors such as Rob Wiethoff,Stephen Snedden,Don Creech,Anthony De Longis and Kharrioson Sweeny who all pulled off their characters flawlessly.
- The score on the other hand,is definetly Wild West esque. It is composed by Bill Elm and Woody Jackson,who definetly felt the spirit of the wild west when making this soundtrack. It is simply breathtaking,Even some of the songs they did not compose such as "Far Away" by Jose Gonzalex or "Compass" by Jamie Lidell or "Bury Me Not On The Lone Prairie" by William Elliott Whitmore and finally "Deadman's Gun" by Asthar Command are all contributing to the epicness of the score.,and it's great to hear some of these tracks and sounds after completing a long and dramatic mission. But,if your not in the mood for some classic wild west tunes,then you can also just select some music from your Ipod and dashboard to play.
- As I am righting this review (Sometime in July) there is only one piece of DLC which is the "Outlaws to the End" Co Op mission pack which was released in June where you and your friends can take on 6 different missions from herding cows to saving a kidnapped girl.The DLC also offers new achievements and is available right now on XBL marketplace for the wonderful price of $0. These missions are very fun and varied with friends but it seems quite small,but for the price of FREE it is worth a grab for you and your buddies to spend a few hours on.
- RDR also has a variety of multiplayer modes where the game lobby is the single player world where up to 16 players can explore and create different posse's and hunt,take out gang hideouts together,kill eachother or different NPC's in the game world.
- In public matches though,there is standard free for alls which start out as a "Mexican Standoff" so to speak where all the players are in a circle and wait till the big DRAW sign pops out on your,screen where,you the player has to draw your revolver and kill everybody else before they kill you. After this is done you keep your score from the standoff (25 seconds at most) and then it just proceeds to be a standard free for all. (This all applies for TDM Also) "Hold Your Own" is a capture the flag variant and "Grab the Bag" is a game type where two teams are both attacking one bag,and finally "Gold Rush" is a FFA variant of CTF where tons of bags spawn all over tha map and you have to go and get the most before the other players do.
-To put it easily,Red Dead Redemption is a game which has to be experienced by everyone. It's smooth gameplay,beatiful graphics,flawless voice acting,superb score,fantastic campaign,and fun multiplayer RDR is definetly a must buy for fans of the sandbox genre and fans of the wild west alike.
+Great Voice Acting
-Campaign has some "meh" missions.
-Needs more multiplayer modes.
-Some very minor bugs