The first tip, and I cannot stress this enough, is make sure you thoroughly search every location you come across. You will usually find something that you need at each stop. More on those locations in later sections.
Let's start with materials. Certain materials are the lifeblood of the game, and you should hoard and use them whenever possible. Supplies become more scarce as you travel down the river.
- Flint. The first thing you'll need, since your two basic tools (knife and hammer) require a total of 4. You should have a couple more in reserve for later, since your tools will break down.
- Saplings. The basic building block for tools and traps. Hoard these. You'll need them. A LOT of them.
- Cattails. These can be crafted into braided cords for tools and traps, and also as an emergency (small) food supply that never spoils.
- Rabbit skins. These are used in a variety of ways. You'll need a total of 8 to expand your inventory to the maximum 28 slots, and even more to upgrade your clothing.
- Salt. When you find salt, you're in luck. You can turn raw meat into jerky, which provides 25 nutrition and never spoils.
These are your most important materials. Grab them whenever possible. These become more rare as you progress.
The first glitch is incredibly crucial to everything you do later:
THE INDESTRUCTIBLE TORCH
This is one of the first things you'll need to work on. In order to craft it, you will need:
Once you craft the torch, you can equip it by pressing + , then press on the torch. Do this immediately. Then:
- Let the torch burn down.
- As it's burning again press + , but wait to press .
- JUST as the torch burns out and you hear the noise of the flame going out, press .
- The torch will show 0%, BUT you will still be able to equip it.
- The icon will show over your head, but you will see no flame. However, strangely, all animals will respond as if the flame is burning.
- ALWAYS put your flame out when rain is imminent. Otherwise, there is a chance that your torch will be destroyed.
Wolves, boars, and bears will not harm you as long as the icon is over your head. However--and this is VERY important--snakes slither quickly TOWARD the flame.
You may encounter a problem with your torch where you cannot equip it. This may be random. If this happens, make sure to discard it and craft a new one.
Once you start gathering materials, you should make your basic tools as soon as possible.
- 2 Flint
- 1 Sapling
- 1 Rags
- 1 Stone Knife
You should also start working on your advanced tools. You need a workbench for these, which can be found at Hardware Stores, Filling Stations, and sometimes Hospitals. These will be necessary for Leather Kits, which you need for wolf and bear clothing.
- 1 Boar Hide
- 2 Nuts N Bolts
- 1 Old Lumber
- 3 Nuts N Bolts
Abusing Save Files
As mentioned before, there are a number of glitches and exploits that will help us survive the river. Let's start with abusing the save files. The Endless mode is where you will spending most of your time, but using the saves can help with the campaign.
The game saves whenever you dock, and whenever you depart. If you have a bad encounter with an animal, make a mistake in crafting, or if you crash too much on the water, immediately dashboard and force quit your game. You should restart where you were before your mishap.
However, if you DIE, the game autosaves immediately. You may still be able to save yourself by quickly pulling up the dashboard => Manage game => Save files => Delete from console. This should rewind time to the last auto-sync. If you're going into an area where you know you may have issues, you should be able to force an auto-sync by quitting out normally to the dash, quitting the game, and restarting.
Find anything you think is wrong with this walkthrough? Help us fix it by posting in its Walkthrough Thread
This walkthrough is the property of TrueAchievements.com. This walkthrough and any content included may not be reproduced without written permission. TrueAchievements.com and its users have no affiliation with any of this game's creators or copyright holders and any trademarks used herein belong to their respective owners.