There are a number of miscellaneous achievements in the game that you should be aware of before you begin. These can be broken down into two categories:
- Cumulative, which stretch across playthroughs
- Endurance, which requires you to perform tasks spanning many days
There are also distance achievements, but those will be covered in the last part of the walkthrough.
Let's go through the cumulative and endurance achievements.
Visit every location at least once (across playthroughs) for an achievement. Chances are you'll get this through normal progression, but here's the list:
- Church - A chapel with a cross
- Can have supplies like flint, alcohol, rags, and a shelter. Sleeping at 20 churches (across playthroughs), will net you:
- Camp - Tent icon
- Often has flint, always has a lit campfire (when not raining), sometimes has shelter.
- Farm - Silo and barn icon
- Mostly only found in the early game - Has water, often has corn, saplings, and cattails.
- Wilderness - Tree icon
- Light on supplies, but search anyway. May have saplings, cattails, or other plants. Often has animals to hunt or run from.
- In towns with buildings, often has cars which may have Nuts N Bolts, or houses with Old Lumber.
- Marina - a hut with a wrench on top
- Either very useful or completely unhelpful. Has a lift for raft upgrades/repairs and gas pumps, but no shelter or animals to hunt.
- Bait Shop - a hut with a fish on top
- Small area, almost always clear of any dangerous animals. Has shelter. Often has plants and, importantly, fishing line and hooks for stitching kits.
- Hardware Shop - building with a wrench next to it
- Very important - Has a workbench to make tools and Leather Kits. Also, often has lumber and Nuts N Bolts.
- Liquor Shop - building with a bottle next to it
- Often has alcohol for bandages and torches. Also may have other supplies.
- Clinic - Building with a cross on it
- Often has medical supplies and others.
Eat each of these. Doesn't need to be in one playthrough.
- Corn - Only found in early game
- Ash Cake - Made from corn, see above
- Dandelion Tea
- Moldy Lump - Will make you sick
- Wild Garlic
- Yucca - Will make you sick
- Cooked Yucca
- If these aren't enough, try Sumac Tea, Sumac (Will make you sick), and Devil's Trumpet (will make you sick)
Eat each of the "bad stuff" in one playthrough. These will almost definitely make you sick. Make sure you have meds, herbal teas, and clean water to cure them.
- Devil's Trumpet - Plant found in the wild
- Moldy Lump - Found in crates or buildings
- Raw Meat - Taken from dead animals
- Spoiled Meat - Raw or cooked meat that has been uneaten for several days. Raw meat spoils faster.
- Tainted Meat - Meat poisoned with Devil's Trumpet
- Yucca - Uncooked
- Spoiled Fish - The rarest of all of these - Only found in most (not all) bear dens. Easily acquired with your torch.
There are 10 different ways to die. You need to experience all of them! It should go without saying that you should do these on disposable playthroughs.
- Don't drink anything. Eventually, you'll get thirsty and die.
- Don't eat anything. Eventually, you'll get hungry and die.
- Don't improve your clothing. Don't build fires. Further down the river is colder. Eventually, your body temperature will drop and you'll die.
- Crash your raft repeatedly. Die.
- After you get a Laceration or Ant Bites, don't treat them. Sleep for a while, let them get infected, then sleep some more and you'll get Sepsis. Don't treat it. Die.
- Wolf Attack
- Find a wolf and run up to it. Eventually, it'll kill you, and you'll die.
- Find a boar and run up to it. Eventually, it'll kill you, and you'll die.
- Snake Bite
- Find a snake and run up to it. It'll quickly bite you. Don't treat it. Die.
- Find a bear, which won't show up until further along in the game (or at the second story checkpoint). Run up to it and give it a big bear hug. It'll kill you.
Finally, there is an achievement for crafting every item. There are a total of 67 separate recipes. You don't need to find them; you can see what they are in your crafting menu. However... this achievement is both a Good Glitch and a Bad Glitch. The "bad" part is that the achievement doesn't actually unlock for crafting all of the recipes. The "good" part is that it's actually much easier. The "weird" part is that the achievement unlocks simultaneously with another, completely unrelated achievement. I'll discuss this when we get to the campaign.
Find anything you think is wrong with this walkthrough? Help us fix it by posting in its Walkthrough Thread
This walkthrough is the property of TrueAchievements.com. This walkthrough and any content included may not be reproduced without written permission. TrueAchievements.com and its users have no affiliation with any of this game's creators or copyright holders and any trademarks used herein belong to their respective owners.