4. A Study in Green
After completing Prey Tell, you'll automatically start up Case #2, A Study in Green.
When you start, you'll find out Holmes is taking part in a Boules competition and is in the finals. Boules is somewhat like a combination of Bowling and Curling, but we'll get into that in a moment. Head into your room (door right of the fireplace) and put on your Sports Clothes in your wardrode, then open your Casebook and fast travel to the Club. After looking around talk to the man in Blue to continue the Story.
This is the beginning of the missable Skill based Achievement I mentioned before, so get ready for a fun time or a difficult time. See the Video Walkthrough for a visual example.
The goal of Boules is to start by throwing the white ball out onto the lawn. When you throw, press once to start up the power meter, then press again when the meter is around the middle to throw it out onto the lawn. You will have 4 Red Balls and your opponent will have 4 Brown Balls. You will want to throw the Red Balls in the same manner (making sure to throw at half power/middle strength and aim the curved marker at the white ball. After you throw one, it will be your opponents turn and you continue back and forth until you both throw all 4. You get more points based on how many of your balls were closer to the white ball than your opponents. After the round you will have to play 2 more rounds to finish the tournament, if you had a lower score, restart the Case, if you had a higher score, you will win and unlock...
Unlocked by 7,615 tracked gamers (59% - TA Ratio = 1.29)
Upon winning, you will be told you can return tomorrow to receive your prize, The Mayan Calendar. Open your Casebook and fast travel back home (221B Baker Street).
When you return home, you will see Alice talking to Katelyn. Start by setting up a portrait of Alice:
- Her Necklace - Occult Item
- Bracelet on her wrist - Visits a prisoner
- Her hands - Unmarried
- Her left wrist - Suicide Attempt
- Press to finish
Choose any response you like in response to Katelyn playing the piano, after the cutscene it will change to the next morning.
Once you regain control, open your Casebook and fast travel back to the Club. When you arrive you will learn that a murder took place last night, and Zacharias Greystoke was killed. Ask Inspector Lestrade all of the questions available, then head out to look for yourself. Start by heading left and following the stone path surrounding the green. Activate Sherlock Talent at the corner and look at the stone ground to see scratches on the stone. Continue down the path and look at the wall to find a broken tree branch. Return to Lestrade and examine the plinth the statue was sitting on. After noting the name of the statue, look at the three specific spots on the plinth to see the statue was removed, then look at the ground in front of the plinth to see two specific spots before activating Sherlock Talent and seeing more marks.
Head out onto the green and take note of the Mayan Calendar on the table. Examine Greystoke on the ground and look at the spear in his chest, and the spilled documents in the grass. Pick up the Pocket Watch and examine the back before opening the front and examining it too. Examine the brown wallet on top of him to find out the killer didn't rob him, then notice the leaves by his head.
Head over towards the building and speak with the man wearing Blue leaning against it, ask him all of the questions available. Begin making a Portrait of Sir Charles when prompted:
- Jewel on his neck piece - Poor Quality
- Invitation in his chest pocket - Socially Active
- Emblem on his vest - Politically Active
- Cuff link on his left sleeve - Ex-military
- Ring on left hand - Married
- Press to finish
Return to Lestrade and activate Imagination Mode (). You must click on all 5 actions in the order you think they happened. The correct order is:
- Stepping on leaves
- Statue throws the Spear
- Greystoke is hit and falls
- Sir Charles arrives on the balcony
- Statue runs away
When finished press to watch the sequence and confirm it is correct. Speak with Lestrade and report your conclusion, then fast travel back home to 221B Baker Street.
Go to your Archives. Access the Encyclopedia by switching with , then click History and Mayan Civilization in Central America, then click to continue. With that done, open your Casebook and fast travel to Scotland Yard.
When you arrive, go left into the hall and take the first metal door on the right to enter the Evidence Room. Look at the drawer and take note of the Spear, Pocket Watch, Pencil, Wallet, and documents. Once you've clicked on the documents, click again to collect several pages that work as a Mayan Dictionary. Next examine the Mayan Calendar itself, turn it around and look at the back to see 12 symbols that you will write down. This section will be similar to what you did earlier in the Prey Tell Case. Look carefully at the drawings on the left, then flip through the pages on the right and look for the same drawings. Once you find one, click on it and you will have to choose one of two words that you think is what the symbol means. Following the numbers next to the symbols on the left page, the answers are as follows:
- to be
- to disturb
- to meet death
- to have mercy
With that deciphered, leave the room and go right down the hall, then enter the next door on the right to find Greystoke's Body. Examine his body and take note of the hole in his chest, his right eye, the autopsy line in the center of his chest, and the scars on his stomach. Then click on the "handle" by his shoulder to flip him over and examine the hole in his back, and the scars.
Leave the room and go straight across the hall to visit Inspector Lestrade. Start by creating a Portrait of him when you get the prompt:
- His Eyes - Lack of Sleep
- Stain on Collar - Wine
- Glass on Desk - Hangover
- Gun on Desk - In a good mood
- Tan Letter by handcuffs - Letter from the Robin Family
- Handkerchief under Letter - Women's Handkerchief
- Press to finish
Afterwards, you will speak with Lestrade and receive a Search Warrant for the Club, so fast travel there.
When you arrive, head over to Sir Charles and tell him about the Search Warrant to receive the Key, then head up the steps and enter the Club. Look at the wall ahead of you to find a picture, examine all of the people in it as well as the date in the upper corner , then access Sherlock Talent () to notice it has been tampered with. Go over to the desk and take the two documents: Notifications from Bank, and Letter from Jeweler. Examine both of the photos, then open the left side drawer to collect a few more documents: Estimate of requirements for guests night, and Letter to Sir Charles from Lloyd's Bank. Next open the drawer on the right side to find the Telegram from Zacharias.
Head to the other side of the room and examine all of the showcases along the walls, making sure to look at the pictures of the men that owned them. Examine the chest next to the globe to discover a golden statue piece, pick it up and examine both ends. Examine the vase next to it, then examine Greystoke's name on the chest next to the current one. Next, examine the large globe nearby and click on it to spin it around, then examine the two missing panels.
Head back outside and speak with Sir Charles. Ask him all of the questions available. When you ask about The Victim's Presence, hit the prompt and choose Telegram, then when you ask about The Club Collection, hit the prompt and choose Postmortem Donation.
When finished, fast travel back home to 221B Baker Street.
Go to your Analysis Table. Click on the photo, then click on the tool kit to take a eye dropper out. Use it on the Solvent, then click on the photo to drop the Solvent onto it. Click and rub the cloth over the painted section to reveal another man, then click on him. Fast travel back to the Club.
Speak with Sir Charles about the photo and he will ask you to speak to one of the men near the statue's plinth. Speak to the man in green to find out he is Bernard Marley. Speak with him for a moment to get his card, then follow him to Grub Street via fast travel.
When you arrive, head straight forward through the tunnel and follow the bend around until you reach a fork. Go left through another tunnel, and follow the road. Continue until you see a red brick building on your right called Bernard Marley Foundry, then enter it. Head to the opposite corner of the shop to find a steel door, click on it to knock and get Bernard to come out. Begin creating a Portrait of Bernard:
- Dirty Collar - Negligent
- Amulets/Necklace - Protective Charms
- Patchwork on elbow - Leans frequently on desk
- His hand - Smell of oil
- Spectacles hanging from pocket - Required for close work
- Injured Finger - Intricate Work
- Press to finish
Ask Bernard all of the questions. When you ask about Tecun Uman, hit the prompt and say Statue Creation.
When finished, examine the poster by his door, look at the marks on the ground in front of his door, head straight forward from the door and examine the white marks on the ground, and two rectangular outlines on the ground along the wall to notice two boxes were moved. Open the third box to the left of the rectangles. Pick up the metal arm, and examine it. Then pick up the bottom clock and examine the back. You'll decide to break into the foundry at night with Watson, so return home to 221B Baker Street via fast travel.
Once you return home, you will find a letter addressed to Alice. Go to your Analysis Table and click on the letter. Click on the burner to light the flame, then click on the kettle and set it on the burner. Click on the letter, then click on the kettle to hold it in the steam. Click on the tool kit to get a knife, then click on the letter to open it and read it. After reading the letter, click on the tool kit to get a swab, then click on the vial to glue the letter shut again.
Head into your room and step outside onto the balcony to speak with Alice. After speaking with her, return to the main room and Watson will alert you that there is a man named James Byron at the hospital that relates to the photo. Before going there however fast travel back to Marley's Foundry.
When you arrive at night you will have to pick the lock on the door to enter. You will notice or may have already noticed that you can choose to mess with the lock in the front or the lock in the back. Use Lockpick #3 on the back lock first, the use it on the front lock to gain entry. Once inside head to Bernard's office door to find it is locked, follow these steps to get in:
- Go to the middle lever on the right side wall and use it to drop the metal cage onto the cart.
- Go to the first lever (farthest from the office door) and use it to pull the fence all the way to the right.
- Go to the third lever (directly in front of the office door) and use it to push the items along until the lone chain hangs in front of the balcony.
- Go to the other side of the room and use the lone lever to pull the "ladder" fence to the far right (where the other fence was).
- Climb up the "ladder" fence and cross the beams, then climb up the ladder at the end.
- Cross the new beam and climb down the ladder on the other side (hard to see), then hop across the cage to another platform.
- Press to switch to Watson and push the cage/crate onto the turnable track.
- Pull the odd looking lever between the turnable tracks to turn them.
- Push the cage/crate over to the other turnable track.
- Pull the odd looking lever again to turn the turnable tracks.
- Push the cage/crate into the gap.
- Press to switch to Holmes and hop across the cage once again.
- Switch to Watson and have him use the first lever (farthest from the office) to put the fence back where it was on the far left.
- Switch to Holmes and cross the beams to the center of the room.
- Keep the Left and Right Sticks in their circles as Holmes crosses the center beam.
- Click on the chain and push forward and backward on the Left Stick to build momentum.
- Press the button that appears on screen when close to the balcony to grab on and get on the balcony.
Completing these steps will get you into Bernard's Office and unlock...
Unlocked by 8,202 tracked gamers (64% - TA Ratio = 1.24)
Head downstairs and open the door for Watson. Then go back up and access the desk to take the Imprint of a Dagger inside the long box. Click on the small sarcophagus at the base of the temple, then click on the small slot in its chest to see you need a dagger to activate it. Head back out into the Foundry and to the anvil straight ahead of the office door and click on the flames. You will begin a mini-game to forge a dagger by pressing the buttons on screen as they pass through the circle. Click on the dagger a few times to take it, then go back into the office and use the Dagger on the Sarcophagus' Slot to open a hidden room.
Enter the room and click on the Tecun Uman robot inside, then click on it again to begin another mini-game. You will need to put all of the gears in the correct positions, but you can simply hit the "Skip" button and pass this optional game. The robot will throw his spear and break some boxes in the back. Look inside the broken boxes with Sherlock Talent () to find a Key. Head over to the safe and click on the small hole to insert the Key. Turn the wheel then turn the lever to open the safe. Click on the Golden Statue, then click the gold section and either of the stone sections. Click on the notepad to get a Paper from Bernard's Diary, then click the Piece of Map on both sides to see it fits into the globe in the Club.
With this done, fast travel back home to 221B Baker Street and enter your room. Change into Doctor's Clothes from your Wardrobe to disguise yourself. Afterwards, fast travel to the Hospital.
When you arrive, speak to the man at the table then look at his clipboard. Walk through the room and speak with the man in the wheelchair on the right side to find out he is James Byron, then create a Portrait:
- Eye Patch - Diseased Eye
- Mouth/Neck - Bound in Chains
- Wrist - Bound in Chains
- Fingernails - Opium Den
- Boots - Crowded Markets
- Missing Arm - Cripple
- Press to finish
Once complete we find out James Byron is actually Albeit. Ask Albeit all the questions available. Once you ask about the Expedition, say Photograph from Club. Albeit will make a scene and will leave the room, take this time to examine the tobacco on the table and pick up the Letter from Hospital, then head over to the chair and search Albeit's jacket pocket to find a circus leaflet. Afterwards, fast travel home to 221B Baker Street.
When you get home, look at the Map on the wall to start locating Albeit's House. Albeit's Home it located on the east side, use the picture below for reference:
Once you find the location, you'll need to click on the correct street, Brook Street, which in the center and a bit towards the bottom right corner, it's a horizontal street.
Once finished, you will unlock Albeit's House as a fast travel location, so go ahead and go there.
When you arrive, click on the door to knock and hear Albeit scream for help. Run over to the suit of armor on the right side of the room and take the Axe. Head back to the door, aim for the red circle and swing multiple times to chop down the door, you will have to rapidly press a button to free the Axe occasionally. Once you get the door open, you will need to click the red circle to have Watson shove Holmes out of the way of an arrow and dive into cover. You will be able to peek out for a moment to see your objectives, but if you peek out for too long an arrow will be shot at you and you'll need to press the button on screen to dodge back into cover. Look around the left side of the crates and click on the Axe to quickly grab it and get back into cover, then look around the right side of the crates and examine both the table and the curtain rope on the wall (watch out for arrows!).
Holmes will ask Watson to cover him so press and you will take control of Watson. Aim your gun up at the shadows and fire at the silhouette in the 4 or 5 different spots it runs to and Holmes will make a run for the table, if you fail Holmes will be shot with an arrow. Once Holmes flips the table, you will regain control of him and must rapidly press the button on screen to push the table over to the curtain rope. When you reach the rope, click on the red circle to drop the curtain. When the statue starts to fall shout "Above you!", then head up the stairs and press the button prompt to dodge the statue head rolling towards you. After dodging, finish heading up the stairs and click on the screen to call Watson up and unlock...
Unlocked by 8,257 tracked gamers (64% - TA Ratio = 1.24)
After the smoke passes, click on the rope to notice the assailant escaped. Look at the statue near the stairs to see it's twin near it was ripped out of place, then examine two specific locations at it's former base. Open the sarcophagus to the left to find Albeit and ask him all of the questions. When you ask What Happened?, say Curse. After asking the questions, Albeit will give you the Key to the door downstairs, so head down and go inside (in the video Lily just went downstairs and went through the door without asking for the Key, so you may not need it).
When you enter the room, open the chest to the left and pick up the two documents: Authorization for slave liberation, and Letter from Albeit, then pick up the locket before opening it and examining it. Examine the bed in the room, then open the closet and examine it using Sherlock Talent () to find a hidden panel holding a Mayan Pyramid Miniature. You'll need to examine the Pyramid, the brown base near the Pyramid steps, and the Date on the side.
Head back upstairs and speak with Albeit again to find out that the Pyramid can be used with the globe in the Club, then fast travel to the Club.
When you arrive, head inside the building and examine the globe. Click on the lower missing tile to add the tile we found in the Foundry safe and open the globe, then click on the gap in the ground to add the Pyramid Model. In order to use the Model, we'll need to start our Deduction, so press to enter Deduction Mode, as usual combine two clues to make a new deduction bubble, click on the bubble to choose a choice if you need to, then press to go back and choose more clues:
- Mayan Calendar + Facts about the crime = False Statement
- Greystoke's Visit + Sir Charles was alone = Prepared
- Club Debt + Greystoke's Collection = Other Collections
- Expedition + Mayan Calendar = No Curse
- Big Bubble appears = Unaware
- Didn't Enter + Albeit's Version = Testimonies
- Albeit's Son + Escape through the window = Small Stature
- Albeit's Model + Albeit's Visions = Temple Model
- Albeit's Version + Albeit's Visions = Albeit's Lies
- Big Bubble appears = Find out the truth about the Temple (required to use the Model and continue the Story!)
- Marley's Work + Facts about the crime = No Automaton
- Assailant in Albeit's House + Physical Abilities = Attacks
- Big Bubble appears = Suspect is small
- Big Bubble appears = Strength
- Mayan Calendar + Superstition = Fear
Click on the Model and Holmes will use his Imagination to replay the events that took place inside the Pyramid. This section will be slightly difficult to do and to explain, so I will give a brief summary of the rooms and will direct you to the Video Walkthrough for this Case in the final tab of the guide. The paths leading to the rooms are linear and either lead to obvious dead ends or the rooms in question, so you cannot get lost.
- The first room will be a maze that you can only solve by walking on the correct path. Each floor tile has it's own symbol so you will be walking one floor tile at a time with these directions: Forward, Left, Forward x2, Left x2, Forward x3, Right x3, Back x2, Right x3, Back x3, Right x2, Forward x5, Left x3, Forward x2, Left x2, Forward. "Forward" means towards the door you need to go through, "Back" means towards the door you came in from.
- The second room is a circular room with 6 pillars each with their own wheel. Facing the room with your back to the way you came in, label the pillars 1 though 6 starting from the left. You will turn the wheels to rotate the room, then run down the path to turn a new wheel in the walls of the room: Turn Pillar Wheel 4, run down the path to turn the Wall Wheel, Turn Pillar Wheel 6, run down the path to turn the Wall Wheel, Turn Pillar Wheel 5, Turn Pillar Wheel 3, run down the path and turn the Wall Wheel, Turn Pillar Wheel 2 to get out.
- The third room will have a large boulder rolling after you and it WILL catch up to you, so use the hiding spots along the walls to duck into cover and dodge the boulder, some spots are obstructed by vines so make sure you don't get too greedy and run too far. The Boulder will turn and roll back once it reaches the end so be ready to take cover again. Once it passes run to the end of the path and duck into cover in the last cover on the right to exit.
- The fourth room has floor tiles that will either stay in place or move out of the way revealing spikes you can fall into. As you follow the path a spike wall will activate and chase after you. You will need to navigate the room to the other side, the floor pattern will never change. This one is hard to explain and I highly recommend the Video Walkthrough.
- The fifth room is full of Smiling Statues and Angry red-eyed statues. You can pass in front of smiling statues, but if you pass in front of an angry one, you will be sprayed with poisonous gas and sent back to the start of the room. To make matters worse the ceiling will start caving in behind you so you'll need to move fast. The path like the last room is always the same and I recommend watching the Video Walkthrough.
- You will cross a bridge with holes in it, simply avoid the holes and cross it, you'll have to run though as it will collapse after you.
- You will reach the final room with the Pyramid, enter the Pyramid and examine the gate in the back, the Mayan Calendar leaning against the wall, and the statue in the center. Once done put your back to the entrance you came from and label the holes in the wall 1 through 10 going from left to right as you did with the pillars. Push the buttons in the holes in the following order: 1, 6, 3, 8, 10, 5, 2, 7, 4, 9
- Once complete you will watch a cutscene, return to the Club, and also unlock...
Unlocked by 7,937 tracked gamers (62% - TA Ratio = 1.26)
With everything done, it is time to make a deduction, so press to enter Deduction Mode:
- Albeit was left behind + Albeit''s Illness = Bitterness
- Albeit is guilty
With the deduction made, choose to either Condemn or Absolve Albeit and confirm your choice (it doesn't matter which as long as it's Albeit) to unlock...
Unlocked by 8,310 tracked gamers (65% - TA Ratio = 1.23)
Find anything you think is wrong with this walkthrough? Help us fix it by posting in its Walkthrough Thread
This walkthrough is the property of TrueAchievements.com. This walkthrough and any content included may not be reproduced without written permission. TrueAchievements.com and its users have no affiliation with any of this game's creators or copyright holders and any trademarks used herein belong to their respective owners.