As a follow-up on my previous blog (Shadow Kisuragi's blog post - Installing Delisted Titles on Windows Phone 8
), I've been asked by numerous people if it's possible to create their own backups to install at a later point, in case their device fails. There have been multiple instances where a game has been completely removed from My Library, and cannot be redownloaded.DISCLAIMER: These steps are meant for creation of your own backups. Distribution of these files (or any backup) is strictly against DMCA and various other international copyright laws.NOTE: This was tested with a Pre-Anniversary Windows 10 Mobile device. YMMV.
1) Windows 10 Mobile
2) PC with USB Connection
3) USB Cord
4) File Explorer (which I believe was renamed to Files in a later release).
1) Connect your phone to your PC via USB, so you can access the Phone Storage.
2) Create a shortcut to your C:\ drive on your PC.
3) Place it in the Phone Storage at the root, alongside the other folders.
4) Open File Explorer on your phone.
5) Select the shortcut to the C:\ drive. This should allow you access to the phone's storage.
6) Select Data\PROGRAMS. You'll get a list of folders with GUIDs.
7) If you don't know what you're looking for, select a folder, select Install\Assets, and look for the ApplicationIcon or something within Tiles to give you a better indication of what you're looking at.
8) Once you find what you're looking for, copy the Install folder by pressing and holding, and selecting Copy To...
9) Copy the folder back up into a public location on your device, such as within the Documents folder.
10) Close File Explorer.
11) Disconnect and reconnect your phone to your PC. This is needed to refresh the folder list.
12) Re-open the Phone Storage on your PC, and go to the location you placed the folder.
13) Copy the folder to your PC.
14) Open the Install folder, select all of the contents (except for the WMAppPRHeader.xml), and right-click. Send To->Compressed (Zip) folder.
15) Rename this folder something appropriate, and change the extension from .ZIP to .XAP.
Congrats! Now you've created a backup of your installed application. In order to restore this to your device, follow the steps in my previous blog (Shadow Kisuragi's blog post - Installing Delisted Titles on Windows Phone 8
) which works for Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile.