July’s Period Summary
I decided a few months ago that I was going to try and avoid starting a lot of new Xbox games and so far I’ve managed to stick to that, only starting 3 games between March and today.
I’ve been actively trying to complete some old games sitting on my backlog instead and even though I know it’s not feasible to complete every one of them I want to try and at least get to an overall 90% completion on my Xbox account, which I know is possible if I concentrate on older games rather than buying new.
I’m currently hovering around 83.9% as it stands, this includes all DLC which is why that number keeps bumping back down every time a game, annoyingly, adds more achievements.
There are several reasons I haven’t made much progress and only unlocked a measly 13 achievements this month, which will serve as a good update for what’s going on in my life.Life Update
I mentioned a few blogs ago that I had some things going on in my life which has been “Distracting” me from gaming, I use the word distracting loosely because I’ve honestly enjoyed the time away from just hardcore gaming it without anything productive on the side and judging from the amount I have gamed this month I have proved that you can play a lot and still do lots of other things on the side.
The first “distraction” is that I have started to learn Piano, it’s a hard process but it’s been pretty enjoyable so far and I’m seeing actual progress – I wish I could get better faster but I know that’s not how anything works – I’m just glad I finally made a start in learning as it has been something I have wanted to do for a long time.
The second is working on a project with my brother, we’re currently in the concept stage still and I have been working on a script which currently stands at around 150 pages, I’ve been pouring my energy into that which is why my motivation to write longer blogs as I used to, weekly, hasn’t been there.
Alongside the script I have also been drawing concept art for our project, which is getting me back into the swing of things when it comes to drawing too, something I have wanted to get back to since I left college 9 years ago.
And the third reason why I haven’t touched much Xbox recently is due to spending a lot of time on my PS4 playing all the exclusives I’ve missed over the last few years and I’ve been having a blast – I will forever never understand console wars because there are genuinely great games people are missing out on due to some company loyalty that doesn’t really pay off.
Xbox will always be my main console, but dismissing The Switch and PS4 is really childish and I don’t quite understand the mentality.
Oh yeah, I forgot to say, I bought a Nintendo Switch – Nifty Console.So, What’s Next?
I will continue working on the project with my brother; it’s a long term thing so we’re hoping to be out of the concept stages by the end of the year and actually into the thick of making something tangible.
I want to go into more detail but to respect my brother’s wishes I need to keep quiet for now – However I look forward to the day where I can share information about it here, eventually.
In terms of gaming however my current plan for August looks like this:
1) Finish World of Final Fantasy (PS4) – Should be done in around 5 hours.
2) Finish Life is Strange (PS4) – I’ve been craving to play this again and since it was free last month it is a perfect time.
3) Finish Valkyria Chronicles (PS4) – This will probably take around 35 or 40 hours going by average completion times, I reckon I can get this done this month if I tried.
4) Purchase and complete Hellblade (PS4) – If it gets good reviews this is definitely a game I’m interested in.
5) Continue playing Breath of the Wild (Switch) – Great game, enjoyable in short bursts every now and again, very easy to pick up and play.
6) Finish Age of Empires: Castle Siege (Xbox) – This is just a matter of time, waiting for that sweet in-game timer to count down for the next 14 days.
7) Finish Forza Horizon 3 (Xbox) – Not sure if this is viable due to the above goals, but hey I can try!
8) If I can somehow manage all of the above, I would like to go back to playing Lego Batman 3 with my girlfriend and finally finish that up.
Once I’ve finished with Valkyria Chronicles and Hellblade (If I buy it) I am going to put the PS4 back on hold for a while and come back to Xbox to get some completions done.
I’ve realized now that maintaining a high completion whilst playing lots of new games is a unwinnable uphill battle, games are released quicker than I can complete them but I’m learning now to pick the games that I’m genuinely interested in and skip those I can live without, since I made the choice to only play games I REALLY want to play, gaming and completion has no longer become a stress, going from 50+ games a year to potentially under 20 is a huge relief.
This is the first achievement in my goal to go through my backlog of games, this game has been sitting on my tag for well over 3 or 4 years now so I thought it was due time to sit down and complete it.
Just one more to go! Sadly due to the nature of the game it’s time locked to around another 14 days before completion, I’m only going to be working on one Xbox game at a time so it’s essentially a countdown until I start my next game.
Onto the Month’s statistics:Month Period:
1st July – 31st JulyTotal Playtime:
167 Hours and 10 MinutesGamerscore:
580 Gamerscore (318,605 Total)Gaming Stats (Xbox One/Windows 10/Android)Rocket League
– 3 Hours and 2 Minutes – 6 Achievements (COMPLETED)Gems of War
– 50 Minutes – 1 Achievement (COMPLETED)Age of Empires: Castle Siege (Windows 10)
– 3 AchievementsGaming Stats (Playstation 4)World of Final Fantasy
– 45 Hours and 53 Minutes – 39 TrophiesPersona 5
– 27 Hours and 22 Minutes – 15 TrophiesKilling Floor 2
– 22 Hours and 39 Minutes – 19 Trophies (COMPLETED)Senran Kagura Estival Versus
– 20 hours and 1 Minute – 50 Trophies (COMPLETED)Until Dawn
– 13 Hours and 37 Minutes – 19 Trophies (COMPLETED)Gaming Stats (Xbox 360/Windows Phone/Windows 8)Age of Empires: Castle Siege (WP)
– 3 AchievementsGaming Stats (PC/Switch/Wii U/3DS)World of Warcraft (PC)
– 20 Hours and 30 MinutesGuild Wars 2 (PC)
– 5 Hours and 34 MinutesZelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
– 5 Hours and 25 MinutesFinal Fantasy 14 (PC)
– 2 Hours and 17 Minutes
It was fun to write a proper blog again, I will definitely try and do this more often and with everything going on in my life I have things to write about again – Maybe not weekly but I’m sure I can manage a once a month thing.
Until Next Time!