Getting started with TrueAchievements
If you're not sure why you're here or what this site is about, here is a full explanation of the site on a page conveniently titled About TrueAchievements.
Scanning your GamerTag
There is one important thing you should know about signing up on TA and having your GamerTag properly scanned and updated. Following this guide will make things run smoothly in the scanner department.
In order for us to scan your GamerTag (basically meaning compile all of your games and achievements into what will become your profile), you will need to make sure your privacy setting for your achievements is set to Public.
If you are unsure of this, go to Xbox.com and sign with to your GamerTag. From here, click on your GamerTag and then on Manage Profile after your page loads.
Near the top right of the screen, you'll see Privacy Settings. Click this and scroll down until you see the section labeled Played Games. Set this to Public (and the same for the Gamer Profile section if you wish to have this site display your motto), and then click Save.
There you go, everything should be ready and the next time you're scanned all of your games and achievements should be updated and accounted for.
Some of the features of TrueAchievements.com
Now that you know how things work and how to get your GamerTag set for scanning, here are some of the biggest features on the site that when understood, will make this a great experience:
- My Settings. You can find this by hovering over your GamerTag in the top right, under My Account then clicking "Site Settings" (or click here). Here you can change the way you view the site and how others view your profile. There are too many options to go in-depth with, so if you have a question on one of them, hold your mouse arrow over one of the blue question mark icons next to the specific item to find out exactly what it does.
- My Homepage. You can also find this by hovering over your GamerTag in the top right, under My Account then clicking "Customize My Homepage" (or click here). Here you can decide which panels appear on the right of your homepage, which order they appear in, and even what colour the headers are!
- The search function at the top right of the screen. You can use this to find leaderboards, gamers, games, and even achievements if you change the option on your My Settings page. Simply type in some or all of the title and click on the result you were looking for. You can also press enter, which will bring you to a page containing all the results of your search.
- Friends lists. Got some friends on Xbox Live that you want to keep an eye on? Simply go to the My friends item under your GamerPic menu, and add them in! If we are already tracking them then they will appear immediately on your friends feed. If not, we will start tracking them immediately. You can group your friends into different groups, set them up with different colours, and choose which ones you want to appear in your friends feed. Note: You can have up to two non-registered friends at once.
- Badges. If you look at your profile page, you should see that you've already earned some badges, just for registering! There are a whole lot more you can earn by doing things around the site, have a look at the Badge Info page for some inspiration!
- The forums. Our site's forums are quickly gaining activity and popularity around the site as of recently. Basically, it's where all the awesome people go to chat about games, the site, or anything in general. In addition to each game on the site having its own forum, we also have dedicated forums for leaderboards, off-topic discussions, and more.
- The leaderboards. Under the Leaderboards menu option, you can find the two different categories of leaderboard. As a user, you can even create your own where you can add and invite other gamers, and even enjoy the comfort of your own leaderboard forum which can be found on the Forums page of the site under the My Leaderboard Forums section. The sky's the limit!
- And much much more. It may have been possible to list all of the site's core features a few years ago, but due to the massive growth around here, there's no real way to explain all of these without a massive 100-page essay. We're only partially exaggerating about this. Some users find features on the site they didn't notice at first, even if they've been here since the start! In addition to this disturbing fact, we are constantly working on improving the site with newer and better features for you all to enjoy.
Got any suggestions?
Remember, your voice matters here, and we take all user suggestions seriously. Have a look around the Site Wishlist Forum and if you notice that an idea you have for improving the site hasn't been suggested yet, simply create your own thread and we can all work on it as a group, eventually coming up with something the whole site can enjoy.
If you have any questions at all, consult the FAQ, and if questions persist, visit the Site Help Forum