Firaxis today announced XCOM: Enemy Within
, a greatly expanded version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown
. Enemy Within
follows the same storyline as the original title, except this time there are new enemies to face, facilities to build, technologies to research and places to visit.
introduces a huge number of new abilities, upgrades and weapons to help you combat threats, both old and new. The expansion will also introduce a host of brand new maps, new tactical gameplay, as well as new multiplayer content.
• New Soldier Abilities: Research a new alien technology to advance the capabilities of your operatives:
- Gene Mods: Construct the Genetics Lab to physically enhance your operatives’ abilities including augmentations to the chest, brain, eyes, skin, and legs.
- MECs: Build the Cybernetics Lab to enable the construction of the new Mechanized Exoskeletal Cybersuit, or MEC. The new MEC Trooper class has specialized abilities and each suit can be upgraded with new weapons including the flamethrower and grenade launcher.
• New Weapons and Equipment: Give your operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from your engineering team and the Foundry.
• New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from two new alien classes including the Mechtoid.
• New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as MELD, has been released onto the landscape providing access to new research and upgrades.
• New Tactical Challenges and Maps: New tactical challenges are introduced across an additional 47 maps.
• New Multiplayer maps, units, and abilities: Create your custom squad from a wider array of options and dominate your opponent in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches.
• MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED!
We also have a selection of artwork and screenshots to share with you:
Unfortunately, it looks as if the new Enemy Within
content won’t be made available to download separately for those people who already own Enemy Unknown
but instead will be available as the "Commander Edition", which contains all content from Enemy Unknown
and Enemy Within
, and also includes all of the previous DLC from the original title, the “Slingshot” and “Elite Soldier” content packs. To get your hands on some new alien tech, you'll need to buy this new version when it hits the Xbox 360 in North America on November 12th for $39.99 and internationally on November 15th.