When a company sends out a press release, they typically include some paragraph or two about the company and the awesome games the studio and publishers have recently released. In the case of Warhammer Online's recent press release, they accidentally confirmed a game that had yet to be confirmed.
Currently announced projects at BioWare include the development of ongoing downloadable content for Mass Effect 2, one of the highest rated video games of all time, Dragon Age 2, the highly anticipated sequel to 2009’s “RPG of the Year” Dragon Age: Origins, and the story-driven massively multiplayer online game, Star Wars: The Old Republic.For those of us that purchased Dragon Age: Awakenings at the retailer, inside the box was a flyer with the flying blood splatter dragon and the date "02.01.11". Speculation at the time was another large DLC package or the true sequel to the game. It looks like it is going to be the release date for the sequel.
Also announced today was Game Informer's next magazine cover.
Perhaps that press release wasn't a goof after all. Since the cat is out of the bag about Dragon Age 2, Bioware has gone live with details of the sequel on their own website.
Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.I am always a fan of time progression and seeing how your actions in the past have ramifications on the future, Ocarina of Time did a fair job of this, so I am curious about the adventure taking place across an entire decade. I imagine it'll be divided into something similar as Fable 2's time progression.
* Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
* Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
* Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
* Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
* Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.
There is also some concept art up on their website.
An official reveal trailer will be shown on August 18th during EA's presentation at Gamescon.
There is no official date for this game, February 1, 2011 sounds reasonable. EA has stated in their financial conference calls that the game should ship in the fourth fiscal quarter 2010, which is January to March 2011.
We've got the full list of Dragon Age: Origins achievements - check the list for guides to unlocking them.